PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 02-25-2019, 05:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by George b View Post
Just saying.......
And here this thread had almost dropped off the front page and out of sight...

Just sayin'
Old 02-26-2019, 01:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 3.37 MB
"Copyright" will always haunt not just the designers but the collectors at the receiving end. Every time I design something I run into "copyright infringement". I don't have a license to sell them so I don't ... anymore. Selling ... even I made money but for some reason, I never feel good doing it maybe because deep inside I know I am stealing. Military subjects are on a different scale. If it paid with our tax dollars it is Public domain. But, I don't do military... yet. ... don't think I wil...

Selling without a license is straight out stealing somebody properties. Saying my design is "different" is just lying to myself to try to justify the theft. Giving them out free ... I don't have permission, but I still doing it anyway on a very limited scale. This is the gray line that I can walk on with peace in mind.

I think sharing our thought in "copyright" is a healthy thing. But, I also understand some people want to do the ostriches and bury their head in the sand and pretend copyright doesn't affect them. I don't know, maybe they don't care if the designers infringed copyright as long as the designers made the models available to them. They didn't "steal" the models, so their hands are clean? This is a funny hobby some time :D
Old 02-28-2019, 07:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 63.68 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoti View Post
And here this thread had almost dropped off the front page and out of sight...

Just sayin'
Right back at you Glenn
-1:60 Scale Launch Umbilical Tower, and Milkstool.
Next Build:
1:60 Shuttle Stack and MLP
Old 02-28-2019, 08:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodduck View Post
"Copyright" will always haunt not just the designers but the collectors at the receiving end...
I think sharing our thought in "copyright" is a healthy thing. But, I also understand some people want to do the ostriches and bury their head in the sand and pretend copyright doesn't affect them. I don't know, maybe they don't care if the designers infringed copyright as long as the designers made the models available to them. They didn't "steal" the models, so their hands are clean? This is a funny hobby some time :D
Agreed!

As many of you say (repeatedly), this problem is "here to stay" "not going away"...
then why should our discussions about it go away?
Why should they ever stop.
The problem repeats - the same discussions repeat.
Its how it has to be.

Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to be antagonistic to anyone ...unless your attitude is pro stealing other peoples models
or "I just want my free stuff and don't want to hear about other people's troubles"...?

What is wrong with people continuing to discuss something?
This forum allows you to start a thread no matter the repeat topic, and they're the ones that store the data...and they aren't complaining.

And what is wrong with those who don't want to read it, just choosing to staying away?
Ignore the thread or unsubscribe from it (if you are subscribed)?

So, a topic has been dealt with before?
...not everyone knows that and people may have something new to say about it.
Or opinions may have changed.
Or new information may have come to light.
New members may see the topic on the front page and pay attention.

Or, it just might be an excuse to divert into another topic...and have a little fun.
Who is that hurting?

(Once again, if you don't want to be part of the thread, go away!)

Sure, sometimes threads like this one devolve into a related or unrelated argument, and thats not always very productive, I agree.
But once again, you don't have to hang around if you are really annoyed by it.

I like the copyright discussions because they continue to illustrate how many members still don't get it...still don't understand...still aren't doing something about it.
And I think these discussions educate some people and get them involved.
I'll bet every time one of these discussions happens, at least one modeller changes their mind about something related to piracy,
or rethinks their whole attitude towards model sharing, or does something to better the situation.
And that is a good reason to rehash a topic, no matter how tiring.

On that note, I'll agree this thread has probably run its course (related to the Alice Model situation),
but I would still love to hear if anyone comes up with any new strategy on how to deal with these Chinese pirateers!
Old 02-28-2019, 09:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 112.04 MB
As stated thousands of times, piracy is here and will stay as long as this planet lives. So I think it is a waste of time trying to comment here issues that have been said many times. What to do? Buy or download legal and that's it. There is nothing else to do.
Google Adsense
Old 02-28-2019, 10:03 AM

When your car gets stolen, I hope the Police tell you
"car theft is here and will stay as long as this planet lives. So I think it is a waste of time for you to say anything"

There is a lot that can be done...it is intentionally ignorant to think otherwise.
At the very least we keep an open discussion on the subject and support each other.
Comments like yours show a total lack of support for designers like me.

If the only thing left to do is comment here, then that is what I will do.

Old 02-28-2019, 10:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 112.04 MB
Stealing a car has nothing to do with piracy. I insist, Piracy will be here always because technology allows it very easily. When there was no internet, there was no piracy. I remember in the early years of card modelling, one just purchased the models and build them. But now everybody can scan and upload or give away any model. So it IS a waste of time opening threads trying to combat piracy. They all comment the same issues going nowhere and pirated models flourish every single day. What do do? I said it before and I repeat it. Don't download any pirated models. Or go back to dear old plastic models. Period.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
So, theft of a car is different than theft of a paper model? Sounds like situational ethics.

Without threads like this folks who are new or who had never read one of the old topics would not realize that their favorite source is pirating. They would go on their merry way in blissful ignorance.

I've been working on a circus diorama, and doing image searches took me to the work of 'A Cut Out Circus for Children' by C. Durand Chapman. It is my understanding that these designs were originally in book form. The images are all over the internet. What irks me is that not only do folks redistribute these files, they have the never to put on the pages that the image is 'copyright by ...' listing their own name or Etsy site. A slightly different flavor of piracy
Old 02-28-2019, 12:02 PM

"When there was no internet, there was no piracy."

okay, this is the funniest thing posted here this year.
Can we start a "Ridiculous Comment of the Year" section?

Dictionary Definiton: "Piracy is an act of robbery or criminal violence"
So, IT IS EXACTLY like stealing a car! LOL

Any sane or honest person knows that standing up against what is wrong, is what you should do,
regardless of whether you will succeed.
Anyone who stands back and just lets a bad thing happen is a complete coward or is benefiting from the bad thing.
In legal terms, I think its called "aiding and abetting".

Petestein
At the end of your posts you suggest that people should only download legal models, don't download pirated models.
Do you not see that is what I am arguing?

These threads and discussions are our way of repeating this very statement.
If we never posted anything, then it would be like condoning piracy.
Pretending it doesn't exist, is the same as giving it permission.

I agree, these threads don't accomplish much...other than honest discussion.
But as I said, if one person...only one...reads this thread and thinks about pirated models,
then we HAVE accomplished something.

But your solution ...don't make any comments...does ABSOLUTELY nothing to help.
In fact, that attitude helps piracy grow stronger.
Old 02-28-2019, 12:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 898.56 MB
I seem to remember a facebook site that was hosting pirated models. IIRC, several members bombed the site with messages similar to 'why pay for this model here, when you can get the same model for free from the actual developer from here?' linked accordingly. We also reported the link on FB.
I don't recall much afterwards, but that site isn't active.

I know a pirate has no shame, but I hope that unsuspecting modelers abandoned that particular site in favor of the legit models :shrugs:

Airdave is right, silence is a form of acceptance. If I know that a model has been pirated, I'll comment on the site I find it (if I'm able).
Google Adsense