PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 10-25-2019, 01:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
Mars finished

Dear all

So moving up the model it starts to "close in" (of course). I found that for the next ring it would not be good to complete the ring and then add the two layers of tape. This is because of the size to is just too far to lean down in and back under yourself. So what I found best was to add the tape as each section was glued into place. These photos show this process

Large Mars Globe (75 cm diameter)-sdc11273.jpg Large Mars Globe (75 cm diameter)-sdc11274.jpg

And here is the ring finished

Large Mars Globe (75 cm diameter)-sdc11275.jpg

And then the next ring

Large Mars Globe (75 cm diameter)-sdc11276.jpg

And then the next ring as well as what it is like inside

Large Mars Globe (75 cm diameter)-sdc11277.jpg Large Mars Globe (75 cm diameter)-sdc11278.jpg

This just leaves the south pole to add. However I made this into two parts, where the inner part is about 10cm (4 in) in diameter

Large Mars Globe (75 cm diameter)-sdc11280.jpg Large Mars Globe (75 cm diameter)-sdc11281.jpg

I reinforced the final ring with ring of 1mm thick card and 15 mm wide. The final part of the south pole was mounted onto a 1mm thick card disc of 13 cm diameter. This means the South Pole "plug" can be slightly flexed inside the final ring.

Large Mars Globe (75 cm diameter)-sdc11282.jpg Large Mars Globe (75 cm diameter)-sdc11283.jpg

So here is the final ring added to the globe

Large Mars Globe (75 cm diameter)-sdc11284.jpg

So now the beach ball is inserted and then inflated. I used this ball which I got from amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Intex-Giant.../dp/B00O80ZA26

Note it says it inflates to 42 inch diameter. That is not the case. But it goes to a little over 75 cm diameter which was fine for what I wanted. So once inflated to just gently push on the side of the globe I inserted the south pole.

And here is the finished globe

Large Mars Globe (75 cm diameter)-sdc13363.jpg Large Mars Globe (75 cm diameter)-sdc13364.jpg Large Mars Globe (75 cm diameter)-sdc13365.jpg

The detail of NASA's image is excellent, naturally (photos I have taken do not show that).

I would say it can get a bit laborious doing all the tape layers, but, if you like globes at all, I think you would enjoy this globe whatever size you choose.

Regards

Kevin
Old 10-25-2019, 01:57 PM

Epilogue

Dear all

Some of you may know about the "Museum of the Moon" which is a 7 metre diameter internally lit globe of the moon that shows around the world

I have seen this moon and it really was a great experence

It was conceived by artist Luke Jerram (here is his web site

https://www.lukejerram.com/

Since the moon he has produced "Gaia" (a similar sized earth globe)

(I have not seen this)

According to his web site he is now working on this

Mars!

Regards

Kevin
Old 10-25-2019, 02:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 426.34 MB
Coming from the other side of the SVG -VS Pixel question:
Most photographs have a discrete number of pixels. However, many modern cameras have a ridiculous number of pixels available. two things can trip you up, though:
Cheap programs, like Paint and such will automatically reduce the resolution of your image to reduce memory needs.
Or the photo may have been saved in a lower resolution.
Either way, you cannot get extra pixels back.

Scalable Vector Graphics, OTOH, are computer-drawn images which are saved as a set of lines, boxes, circles etc, . . . that have a mathematical relationship within the image rather than a fixed number of pixels. So, no matter how large you scale the circle, it will still be smooth. Lines will be the same since the slope is calculated for the scale.

This is why when looking to scale drawings, it's much better to look for proper SVG files since many people who are not aware will often save in a pixel format that looked fine on their monitor, but doesn't scale well.
If you are dealing with photos, the best you can do is just look for the largest resolution you can find and hope it has enough detail to scale as much as you want it to.
Old 10-26-2019, 09:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 43.01 MB
Outstanding work and methods, Algebraist. Thank you for the thread and photos.

Bravo from Texas !
Old 10-27-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGay View Post
Coming from the other side of the SVG -VS Pixel question:
Most photographs have a discrete number of pixels. However, many modern cameras have a ridiculous number of pixels available. two things can trip you up, though:
Cheap programs, like Paint and such will automatically reduce the resolution of your image to reduce memory needs.
Or the photo may have been saved in a lower resolution.
Either way, you cannot get extra pixels back.

Scalable Vector Graphics, OTOH, are computer-drawn images which are saved as a set of lines, boxes, circles etc, . . . that have a mathematical relationship within the image rather than a fixed number of pixels. So, no matter how large you scale the circle, it will still be smooth. Lines will be the same since the slope is calculated for the scale.

This is why when looking to scale drawings, it's much better to look for proper SVG files since many people who are not aware will often save in a pixel format that looked fine on their monitor, but doesn't scale well.
If you are dealing with photos, the best you can do is just look for the largest resolution you can find and hope it has enough detail to scale as much as you want it to.
Thanks for taking the time to explain that John. It is very helpful.

Regards

Kevin
Old 10-27-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAustin16 View Post
Outstanding work and methods, Algebraist. Thank you for the thread and photos.

Bravo from Texas !
Thank you for your kind complements SAustin16. The pleasure is mine.

Regards

Kevin
Old 10-29-2019, 10:55 PM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
This is an outstanding, and inspiring, build thread.

I have always wanted a gold of the Moon and Mars, and a couple pf other planets...maybe...

This makes that childhood dream very possible!

Much appreciation!

I have to just get the templates now, and then get A LOT of duct tape...
Old 10-30-2019, 04:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 285.85 MB
Very interesting thread. Having a Moon or Mars model on my desk is now on my wish list :-) Thank you!
Old 11-02-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DC View Post
This is an outstanding, and inspiring, build thread.

I have always wanted a gold of the Moon and Mars, and a couple pf other planets...maybe...

This makes that childhood dream very possible!

Much appreciation!

I have to just get the templates now, and then get A LOT of duct tape...
Thanks for those nice comments DC. For the record the model used just under 2 rolls of sellotape and 2 rolls of duck tape. However I estimate (and it really is just a guess) if your globe is less than 40cm diameter then even if you use an inflatable to "anti-denting" then the paper and glue will be strong enough (so no need for tape).

Regards

Kevin
Old 11-02-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papierschnitzel View Post
Very interesting thread. Having a Moon or Mars model on my desk is now on my wish list :-) Thank you!
Thank you Paperschnitzel and I am glad you enjoyed it.

Regards

Kevin

Tags
globe, mars, planet