PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 11-02-2019, 11:38 PM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
Then again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algebraist View Post
Thanks for those nice comments DC. For the record the model used just under 2 rolls of sellotape and 2 rolls of duck tape. However I estimate (and it really is just a guess) if your globe is less than 40cm diameter then even if you use an inflatable to "anti-denting" then the paper and glue will be strong enough (so no need for tape).

Regards

Kevin

Does t ever bother you about how many ducks had to die to make that tape, though?

Old 11-22-2019, 04:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.34 GB
Algebraist...... Thank you for the inspiring thread Now I am going to attempt to recreate the moon globe for my Apollo exhibit. I like the large easy to see size on the turntable Now to just find Ken's file that I have.....

Bob
Old 11-22-2019, 04:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.34 GB
Algebraist...... Thank you for the inspiring thread Now I am going to attempt to recreate the moon globe for my Apollo exhibit. I like the large easy to see size on the turntable Now to just find Ken's file that I have.....and then onto Mars. Good Job sir...

Bob
Old 11-23-2019, 03:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DC View Post
Does t ever bother you about how many ducks had to die to make that tape, though?

Oh no, I've used Gorilla Tape and Gorilla Glue!

and

Kevin
Old 11-23-2019, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecraftcreator View Post
Algebraist...... Thank you for the inspiring thread Now I am going to attempt to recreate the moon globe for my Apollo exhibit. I like the large easy to see size on the turntable Now to just find Ken's file that I have.....and then onto Mars. Good Job sir...

Bob
Thank you spacecraftcreator. Really pleased you are going to have a go at the Moon and Mars. I think the Moon it will really add to your Apollo exhibit. Ken's model is really nice.

Regards

Kevin
Old 11-23-2019, 04:28 AM

My experience on cutting very sticky tape (like duck tape) using scissors

Dear all

I thought that it might be useful to share what I found about cutting very sticky tape with scissors since if you make a large globe the way I did you have to do a lot of this.

First of all almost everything I tried either did not work at all or after one or two cuts left the scissors blades encrusted with sticky stuff and they would no longer cut and I could hardly open the scissors.

This meant a lot of trying to clean the blades (resulting in many slicing of finger tips!).

Eventually I hit on a method that worked pretty well, so here it is. The critical thing was to ensure that when cutting the tape, you have the "back/bottom" scissor blade making full contact along the full width of the sticky side of the tape whilst the scissors are fully open. Only then start to cut in one clean swift action ensuring that at all times of this action the "back/bottom" blade remains in full contact with the sticky side of the tape across the entire width of the tape. I could not manage a photo of this in action so attempted a drawing

Large Mars Globe (75 cm diameter)-sdc13489.jpg

Using this method I could easily manage 50 cuts without getting much sticky stuff on the blades of the scissors.

However you will still get some on the blades no matter what you do (I think). So I found something like this was excellent to keep them free from sticky stuff

Large Mars Globe (75 cm diameter)-sdc13488.jpg

(Amazon sell this as well as other similar products)

And my final tip is don't push your luck. As soon as the scissors feel any part of the cut is getting sticky, give the blades a quick wipe with kitchen roll with some sticky stuff remover on it (you only need a very small amount).

Oh yes, careful not to slice your finger tips!

Regards

Kevin
Old 11-25-2019, 03:44 AM

Landing sites

Dear all

With the Mars and Moon globes you can add the landings site of missions to them. For the moon, if you restrict to successful landings then these maps might be helpful

For Mars there have been 8 successful landings

Viking 1, Viking 2, Pathfinder/Sojourner, Spirit, Opportunity, Phoenix, Curiosity and Insight. Each has a wiki page which gives the long and lat of touchdown on Mars so can be marked pretty accurately on the globe. I have not counted the Soviet Union's Mars 3 lander since it failed before transmitting a complete picture

I used the sticky part of translucent post it tabs (which are readily available from many shops) to mark the landing sites.

I found they were sticky enough to stay on the globe but could be peeled off without lifting the printing on the globe which meant they could be re-positioned. This was something that happened a lot when more knowledgeable people pointed out exactly where various landings should be indicated.

This is what the effect looks like

Large Mars Globe (75 cm diameter)-mars-moon.jpg

The astronaut in the foreground is 1/24 scale so 7.5 cm (3 inches) high.

Regards

Kevin
Old 04-15-2020, 02:53 PM

Ken West's moon globe available again

Dear all

For those interested, I have just noticed that the moon globe (mentioned at the start of this thread) by Ken West is available again on Ecardmodels.

The link is

https://ecardmodels.com/product/1-75...on-paper-model

Regards and take care

Kevin
Old 04-16-2020, 12:29 AM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
Thanks!!!!

Real Cool!
Old 04-16-2020, 10:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
I saw it too.

Big plus of making moon is you can use plain,basic office printer to make it.

Inkjet or laser it will come out just fine,you might have to play with settings of grayscale a bit to get right on.
Google Adsense

Tags
globe, mars, planet