PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 06-28-2020, 01:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
Life-Size Neil waist line

Dear all

So progress has been slow due to little time and making shims for the waist line of Neil is just slow work. However have now finished. So here is the thighs with the shims added and the covered

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14003.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14004.jpg

So here is the torso resting on the thighs and a close up of where the gap now filled by the shims.

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14005.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14006.jpg

So a lot of work that is essentially hidden, but I think it will make a difference in the end.

Next up is to strengthen the torsos.

Regards and take care

Kevin

Last edited by Algebraist; 06-28-2020 at 01:08 PM. Reason: spelling corrections
Old 06-28-2020, 01:52 PM

Torso strengthening plan

Dear all

I have now reached the point in the model where I need to make the torsos (of the life-size models) strong enough. After considering many options and ideas, I have come up with a three method system, greatly inspired and influenced by the comments people kindly posted on this thread (many thanks!).

First up I have decided to to strengthen the whole of the torso by triple layering it (in a similar way as the other parts of the model).

When I considered the effect of adding arms to the torso I think what will happen will be the arms will want to move down (in the direction of the yellow arrows in the photo below) which will in turn want to push the sides of the torso in (as shown by the red arrows) and also the front and back of the torso out (as shown in the second photo)

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-f1.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-f2.jpg

I do not think the triple layered wall of the torso will be strong enough to stop this so intend to add vertical and horizontal struts (like a bird cage or like on the inside of the statue of liberty). These struts will be multiple layers of paper glued to the inside of the torso (as done similar on the knees and thighs)

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-f3.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13960.jpg

There is also the addition "action" of the life support pack on the torso. I think this will also pull and push on the torso as indicated by the red arrows on the photo below

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-f5.jpg

I have not yet decided how to attach the life support pack to the torso (but have a couple of ideas). However all things considered the third level of strengthening is adding removable "bars" of multilayered card (so acting like bracing) at the points where the torso is being squeezed (so the bards would be in compression). If figure if you can stop all the points where the torso is being squeezed then it follows that the torso will not be able to bow out either (since if one bit bows out another bit must bow in).

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-f4.jpg

The reason for going for stopping the "squeeze" point is two fold. First is laminated card is very strong at taking compression. Second is I need to have "access" in side the torso to assemble and disassemble the model, so cannot have any of the bracing permanently fixed to the torso. Thus the bars will not be able to be in tension (so cannot directly stop bowing out).

And if all that doesn't work...

Anyway, the first thing to do is to triple layer the torso. That is an awful lot of gluing. I have decided that I could not face doing a second torso after completing one, so I have split the layering into three stages. I will do each stage for both torsos before moving onto the next stage.

Stage one is to do the neck and shoulders

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-tss1.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-tss2.jpg

Stage two is to do the waist and sides

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-tss3.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-tss4.jpg

And stage three is to do the front and back

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-tss5.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-tss6.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-tss7.jpg

After this is done the whole process has to be repeated!.

I think this is going to be a bit of a make or break moment for the model. It really does need to be strong enough without being too heavy or to fragile. Well I have a plan and there is only one way to find out if it is going to work, though this is going to take quite a while to do, so a while before I know if the plan is any good.

So it is time to start "The Big Glue".

Regards and take care

Kevin
Old 08-06-2020, 03:27 AM

Big glue started

Dear all

I have now started the big glue and progress has been slower than expected. This is partly due to having to deal with other stuff but also it is taking longer than expected.

First up I realised this is going to take a lot of paper so decided to have 3 standard strip widths of 7, 5 and 4 cm. So I made templates and cut out strips from the off cuts of the parts (which I had been collecting. Here is the process along with some of the "stockpile"

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14007.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14008.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14009.jpg

Next was to join the waist and neck formers on the inside of the model and it was easier to strengthen the inside of the neck ring first (as shown)

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14010.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14011.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14012.jpg

The final formers to attached to the inside were those of the arms. I wondered if it would prove to be stronger to have the tabs attach to the wall of the arms, which required the joining strip to be the correct curvature of the arm former.

So this is the former and the card it was cut from

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14013.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14014.jpg

I could then trace the correct curve to make a joining tab and then glue it in place

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14016.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14017.jpg

I repeated the process for the other arm

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14019.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14020.jpg

It took a lot longer to make the joining tabs this way and in terms of strength made no difference whatsoever. So all in all a bit of a waste of time!

Next I covered each of the disks of the inside of the mission patches

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14025.jpg

Then I put the second layer on the left and right arms as well as the shoulders and neck

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14027.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14028.jpg
Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14029.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14030.jpg

What took the time is making sure that a strip is fully in contact with the body of the model and pressed down firmly (so no "air bubbles"). Also with all the curves and undulations this meant that for lots of places quite small bits of paper had to be used and what with all the overlapping it took quite some time to cover the areas shown.

Regards and take care

Kevin
Old 08-06-2020, 03:36 AM

Request for advice

Dear all

One thing about doing the big glue I an on at the moment is it gives plenty of time to think about upcoming parts of the build.

Something I have been thinking about is the visor of the helmets. The reflection from the visor is a printed part of the model. However I think it would look really nice if it were possible to put a "crystal clear coating" of some sort on the visor to give it that glossy shine.

I was wondering if anyone had ever done anything like that and if they would be willing to offer had any advice or tips? Any such comments would be much appreciated.

Regards and take care

Kevin
Old 08-06-2020, 06:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
If you are unwilling to vacuform a visor, then use the visor pattern in the kit to cut one out of clear plastic.
Then mount the printed paper visor behind it (inside it).

The upscale might affect the photo quality of the printed design...you might wish to create a new reflection from a higher res photo.

If you vacuform a visor, you can still do the same (apply the printed paper inner liner).

It is possible to spray clearcoat on printed paper and achieve a heavy gloss finish,
just ask Shane Webb how he did it!
Attached Thumbnails
Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-shanes-n7715c-award.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 08-07-2020, 03:53 PM

Thank you for all your comments airdave, much appreciated.

In the first instance I would like to contact Steve Webb. Would you happen to know if there is a way to find out if he is a member of this forum? All I can find out through google is a youtube mentioning in reference "Dave's card creations"

Fully understand if would rather not comment further

Regards and take care

Kevin
Old 08-07-2020, 04:09 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Shane's nickname here on the forum is thepaperguy
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 08-07-2020, 05:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
I haven't seen that video!

Yup, Shane is a member here.
Lets see if he responds.
Old 08-11-2020, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickstef View Post
Shane's nickname here on the forum is thepaperguy
Many thanks
Old 08-11-2020, 01:42 AM

Big glue carries on

Dear all

So having got to grips with the big glue I have started on Buzz's torso. Now I have a better feel for what I am doing I am able to go a bit quicker.

So I have now done Buzz's waist join and neck join

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14021.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14022.jpg

The arm formers join (and yes I did the same method as for Neil just to keep the models the same, though I will not be doing this method again!)

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14023.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14024.jpg

And finally the shoulders and arms second layer

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14031.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14033.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14034.jpg

So next up is back to Neil

Regards and take care

Kevin

Tags
apollo, astronaut, buzz aldrin, moon, neil armstrong