PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 08-11-2020, 01:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
I have just noticed in my post, number 166, I called Shane Webb, Steve Webb. Apologies for that mistake.

Kevin
Old 08-21-2020, 11:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 98.87 MB
Are we trying for the Glossy "look" or an actual mirror foil look? The foil method is gonna be the hardest thing to do. IF you really want it I would suggest a lot of sanding and maybe look into some reflective Mylar or film like what's used for remote control airplanes. IF its just a glossy finish then build it on glossy photo paper and either brush it with Pledge floor care acrylic gloss. (Pic included) Its the same thing used for dipping clear parts by plastic modelers. it can also be airbrushed. The black P-51 Airdave mentioned was done on the glossy photo paper and then shot with simple automotive enamel gloss clear coat. I applied 13 layers to the entire aircraft THEN went and wet sanded it much like painting a car and then buffed it all smooth. I would practice first before commiting to that kind of endeavor though as water can find ways to mess things up. Also remember to give plenty of dry time between clear coat applications or it will fog up.

Shane "ThePaperGuy" Webb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algebraist View Post
Thank you for all your comments airdave, much appreciated.

In the first instance I would like to contact Steve Webb. Would you happen to know if there is a way to find out if he is a member of this forum? All I can find out through google is a youtube mentioning in reference "Dave's card creations"

Fully understand if would rather not comment further

Regards and take care

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-img_6147.jpg  
Old 09-11-2020, 03:04 PM

Hi Shane

Sorry for not replying sooner but stuff has just kept me away from being able to look at the site.

Ideally I was thinking of trying to make the visor of the helmets look as real and reflective as possible.

Thanks for all the advice. There is certainly a lot to think about and try. You have really helped by setting out clearly all the steps to follow. I am sure it takes a lot of practise and skill to do what you achieve. Looking forward to giving it a go on some test versions and seeing how I get on.

Regards and take care

Kevin
Old 09-11-2020, 03:26 PM

Still on the big glue

Dear all

So stuff has just kept me away from the forum and has also made working on the model exceedingly rare. Thus progress has been painfully slow

Here is what I have managed to do.

I went back to Neil and did the second layer round the waist

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14035.jpg

For the second layer I write A or B or C etc in the corners of each part so I can tell where I have put the parts (otherwise I get lost with just a sea of white card), so you can see where I have glued the second layer

Then did between the arms and the waist

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14037.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14038.jpg

I then went back to Buzz but before continuing I needed to make yet more reinforcing strips from the off cuts of the parts sheets. Here is just a sample!

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14040.jpg

Then it was onto the same three "zones" on Buzz as was done for Neil

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14041.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14048.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14049.jpg

It looks like nothing is happening, and it really is feeling that way too. Taking a photo of each of the section steps has become a real carrot to keep going and feeling as if some progress is being made

Regards and take care

Kevin
Old 09-12-2020, 02:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
glad to see a bit more of your build all the best to you an yours
Google Adsense
Old 09-12-2020, 03:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
Keep going , just think of the end results. I think you're just hitting that 'wall' in a big build. Just remember that you have us behind you 'pushing'.😀
Old 10-04-2020, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
glad to see a bit more of your build all the best to you an yours
Cheers rifleman. Good to hear from you

Regards

Kevin
Old 10-04-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotham View Post
Keep going , just think of the end results. I think you're just hitting that 'wall' in a big build. Just remember that you have us behind you 'pushing'.😀
Thanks gotham. Really appreciated.

Regards

Kevin
Old 10-04-2020, 03:29 PM

the big glue half way point

Dear all

So progress is moving at a glacially slow speed. Every week there seems to be less and less time for yourself.

However there has been some progress.

since the last post on the build it was back to Neil and fill in the two sections of the front and back second layer

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14050.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14051.jpg

Then it was onto Buzz for the same two sections

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14052.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14055.jpg

This means that both Neil and Buzz have had their entire torsos doubled layered. So I am half way through the big glue!

So now onto layer three

Regards

Kevin
Old 10-09-2020, 04:14 PM

1/4 Neil's arms

Dear all

So after getting half way through the big glue I expected to have a boost to push on. However no boost was forthcoming!

So I have been "treating" myself by looking forward to moving onto the next part of the model which will be the arms. So I started Neil's arms of the 1/4 model.

Here is the right arm in progress

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13421.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13441.jpg

And then the finished arm

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13446.jpg

I particularly like the oxygen gauge on the wrist. The left arm is very similar and I don't foresee any problems when I get to the life size model

So I need to get back to the big glue

Regards

Kevin

Tags
apollo, astronaut, buzz aldrin, moon, neil armstrong