PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 10-25-2020, 06:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
The big glue (second half)

Dear all

So though it never seems like it at the time progress is happening on the big glue. So it was time to start the third layer of the torsos and I started with Neil.

Of course there is the need for a never ending supply of strengthening strips to be cut

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14053.jpg

but then it was onto the neck

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14079.jpg

The only real "excitement" of doing this was I used Greek letters in the corners of the strips (rather than A, B, C etc) to tell where I had put the third layer strips. However I got there.

I then managed to the left and right arms/shoulders

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14088.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14111.jpg

Wow, what a difference the third layer making. The model is going from stiff to strong. I think this strengthening method is going to work.

Next to do the same regions on Buzz

Regards

Kevin
Old 10-25-2020, 07:10 AM

Flag

Dear all

For quite a while I have been thinking about the flag and flag pole for this model.

Basically the flag in the model is not the correct size to represent the flag that was actually used on Apollo 11.

For comparison here isa photograph that comes with the model along with Al Shepard actually next to the flag of Apollo 14 (which was the same size as the Apollo 11 flag) on the lunar surface.

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-pic2.jpg

(Source: Nasa)

The actual design of flag pole etc is an interesting story and really well told in this article

https://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/alsj-usflag.html

The actual flag for Apollo 11 was 5 ft x 3 ft. Now that is a big flag to make out of paper. Moreover the flag needs to be "wrinkled" to look like the actual pictures from the lunar surface.

(Source: Nasa)

For a paper flag I could only see two options.

Enlarge the flag in the model by about 850% (it is printed to look "wrinkled") or make a paper flag and physically "wrinkle" it. With the enlarging I am not sure it is beyond what the images will look good. Also I am not so sure the "wrinkle" effect will look right when scaled up. Actually wrinkling a paper flag gives lots of issues with the printing looking poor. Finally for both methods a flag of that size needs storing "compressed" somehow and that gives more problems with creases and printing ink.

So I decided to try along the lines of a cloth flag. I bought the right sized flag and it has now arrived

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14334.jpg

Here is marked out the size of the model's flag in comparison

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14335.jpg

My friend who has helped make things for me before has agreed to have a go at making a replica flag pole. So that is 7 ft high and the cross bar is 50 inches (it was telescopic but jammed and only opened out to 50 inches which is what (totally by accident) made the flag have its wrinkled shape as if caught in a wind.

Looking forward to seeing what the flag pole looks like.

There is still the puzzle of how to make the flag "hang" the right way as if it were on the moon. Any ideas/suggestions most welcome

Regards

Kevin
Old 10-25-2020, 12:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
glad to see some more of your out standing build young man keep going your doing fantastic work
Old 11-01-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
glad to see some more of your out standing build young man keep going your doing fantastic work
Hi rifleman. Good to hear from you and thanks for your encouragement. Impressed you are managing to stick with the never ending photos of white card!

Regards

Kevin
Old 11-01-2020, 11:35 AM

Big glue Buzz's third layer started

Dear all

So Buzz has had his third layer started. So I have completed the neck

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14131.jpg

and the shoulders

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14160.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14191.jpg

Photos purely for my benefit to convince myself things are actually moving forward!

Back to Neil

Regards

Kevin
Old 11-01-2020, 03:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
You may be posting pics of white card, but look what you're doing with that card. Keep going.👨*🚀
Old 11-01-2020, 03:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
well said gotham just keep on going your doing a great job
Old 11-02-2020, 04:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 968.01 MB
This is a awesome project. Keep on Keeping on!
Old 11-02-2020, 07:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Yes, 'white on white' leaves little to comment on, but be sure that we are still watching
Old 11-06-2020, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotham View Post
You may be posting pics of white card, but look what you're doing with that card. Keep going.👨*🚀
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
well said gotham just keep on going your doing a great job
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfduke View Post
This is a awesome project. Keep on Keeping on!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin_King View Post
Yes, 'white on white' leaves little to comment on, but be sure that we are still watching
Thanks gotham, rifleman, surfduke and Vermin_King. Honestly, a fantastic boost for me.

Regards

Kevin

Tags
apollo, astronaut, buzz aldrin, moon, neil armstrong