PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 11-28-2019, 04:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 520.55 MB
How about the cardboard tube from inside a roll of carpet or floor covering? They're quite substantial if you can find a secure way of joining them.
Old 11-29-2019, 07:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 43.01 MB
A very interesting and challenging project. This will be fun to follow.

I have to agree with ShadowCory that perhaps a well-designed PVC or similar frame would be your best bet for a strong and light structure from the beginning. I wonder how much a completed life-sized astronaut will weigh.

SURFDUKE - Great to see you again. You have been missed, Sir. Hope all is well.
Old 11-30-2019, 04:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
How about the cardboard tube from inside a roll of carpet or floor covering? They're quite substantial if you can find a secure way of joining them.

I used to use those for supporting stage props, but I don't think I have seen any narrow enough to use in this project, but I could be wrong. I often am
Old 12-01-2019, 12:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGay View Post
After watching you 1:24 scale Apollo Saturn V, I would be very surprised if you didn't succeed with this build.
I will certainly be following this one with the same enthusiasm I had watching the Saturn V come to life!
Glad you are looking forward to it JohnGay. Thanks for the encouragement. Gonna give it my best shot.

Kevin
Old 12-01-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
well you did the Saturn 5 proud cracking job truly outstanding build so go for it and all the best will be with you on this as with Saturn build
Good to see you here rifleman and thanks for the support. I think it is going to be another long haul, hope you have supplies in!

Kevin
Old 12-01-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butelczynski View Post
From observing guys doing props on stages I can tell you anything is doable if you build frame strong and stable enough to support what you are building.If you want to go life size you will need metal skeleton or frame much like Statue of Liberty has. Without it statue will collapse or will be unmovable without distorting shape.

Than again I bet Maxe can do it
Thank for the advice Butelczynski. I would have never thought of looking up stage prop design. Staue of Liberty many well hold some good ways for this model. Some nice picks at this site

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/n...nside-and-out/

Thanks

Kevin
Old 12-01-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpetr View Post
Eventhou it is paper model it will be quite heavy and support structure I see in your photos will not be enougth.

As Butelczynski wrote it needs strong frame. You can try extruded polystyrene for example and fill it with that.
You are spot on bigpetr. Quick rough calculation of minimum weight showed the boot support is not enough.

Kevin
Old 12-01-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfduke View Post
Cool subject matter!

I look forward to monitoring your progress.

Duke Out!
Cheers surfduke. Glad it is of interest to you

Kevin
Old 12-01-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotham View Post
All the best in your endeavour, you are a brave man. If you can pull this off it'll be some achievement.
Thanks for your support gotham, much appreciated.

Kevin
Old 12-01-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCory View Post
May I suggest a pvc pipe armature that runs the height of the mode? I think you'll find the traditional interior support structure of cardboard will fail you at the ankles and shoulders. Especially if you live in a humid area, like north central Florida. I have a Pumpkinhead (the 90's movie) model that is almost (or only) 2' tall. It was great in the winter but would fall over at the ankles in summer! I ended up slicing it open and adding a traditional aluminum wire armature mounted on a piece of wood to hold up all that cardstock and paint.

I saw a video a couple years ago of a guy building a lifesize game character. He ended up using wood strips and a bunch of wooden tongue depressors to build what in the end was a messy interior wall style armature. I think if you can make a consideration for a proper armature from the beginning, you'll save a lot of time and frustration in the long run. If you want to stay more toward the paper and card realm, make the armature from box tubes or rolled up corrugated. Laminating for strength. I've even read of people spraying expanding foam into the tubes to add rigidity.

But heck, the challenge of figuring it out and making it all work as you go along is half the fun! I really look forward to your build, and hopefully learning from it myself!
Thanks for all the tips and suggestions ShadowCory. Following one of your suggestions I have tracked down a you tube by someone who built a life size model of "Link" from the nintendo Zelda series of games (final video in the build series below)

Is this the one you meant? Have not managed to watch them yet though.

Cheers

Kevin

Tags
apollo, astronaut, buzz aldrin, moon, neil armstrong