PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 02-05-2022, 03:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
1/4 scale helmet

Dear all

So I have moved onto the helmets of the model. The plan was to make the 1/4 scale helmets first (to get sorted how they went together). However try as I might there were some areas where I was not clear in my mind quite what was going on. Thus I decided to make a very rough version first (out of usual printer paper). Here it is

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14505.jpg

It sorted out most of my "questions" but I am still not 100% sure about how things fit around the "cheeks" of the helmet. I am also not certain of how the fit of the visor of the helmet goes. However as far as I can tell the only way I am going to find out is to build them for real. So I now need to move onto the actual 1/4 model helmets

Regards

Kevin
Old 02-05-2022, 12:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
That helmet may be a rough, but you can see where it's going on e you move to actual.
Old 03-04-2022, 02:19 AM

Very true Gotham. I have found making these "rough versions" essential at times. Some people can just look at parts (no matter what they are for) and can visualize what it makes and how everything goes. I just am not able to do that.

Regards

Kevin
Old 03-04-2022, 02:41 AM

1/4 model helmets

Dear all

Progress has continued on the 1/4 models with the helmets. I was confident of the basic cutting out and assembly of the outer part of the helmet

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14506.jpg

Next up was the visors. I wanted to try and make these as good as I could manage to decided to use black sugar paper as backing joining strips to get the best fit I could manage

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14507.jpg

A bit of a strengthening former was needed

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14508.jpg

And then the helmet visors were attached

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14510.jpg

So no coating has been put on the visors. So far all my attempts on samples have been utter disasters. Even though Shane Webb (aka ThePaperGuy) very kindly gave me lots of help and advice (see post 172), I am pretty sure I just don't have the skill to produce a half decent (let alone spectacular) finish.

Regards

Kevin
Old 03-06-2023, 10:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 98.87 MB
That shiny finish is not the easiest. If you were to try making a visor section by itself and coating and sanding it smooth and painting could the original section be cut and a new one put in?????
Google Adsense

Tags
apollo, astronaut, buzz aldrin, moon, neil armstrong