PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 11-26-2019, 12:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")

Dear all

This photo

evokes a huge number of memories and feelings for me, as I am sure it does for everyone who watched the moon landings.

Along with every child on the planet I thought that one day there might be a realistic chance of going to the moon, since it was being said this would easily happen by the (then far off) year 2000. Of course that is not how things turned out.

I have always though it would be nice to make a paper model of an astronaut on the moon. So some time ago I decided to buy Ken West's 1/4 scale "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon" which at the time was available on Ecardmodels, and intended to have a go at making it. (Currently at the time of writing this, the only Ken West Models on Ecardmodels since the rebuild are his XB-70 and Apollo Command Module, however I am sure it will be uploaded in due course).

However I got engrossed in building a model of the Saturn V. That is almost at an end and so my mind has been returning to the idea of making an Apollo astronaut on the moon.

But these last few months I have been thinking about if it would be possible to build a paper life-size version of Ken West's model. I have been looking at the instructions and parts, and, after some consideration I have decided to have a go.

I thought some people might be interested to see how this goes, so have decided to start this thread on the project.

I should add that

1) I have no idea if this can be done
2) If (1) is possible whether I am able to do it
3) If (2) is possible how long it will take me

So I have no time scale or deadline and am just going to "see what happens". If it is possible I expect it is going to take me quite a while. With a bit (or rather lot) of luck I may well get to (almost) be on the moon (with Buzz and Neil).

So if you are interested why not come along and join in. Here goes...

Regards

Kevin
Old 11-26-2019, 01:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 426.34 MB
After watching you 1:24 scale Apollo Saturn V, I would be very surprised if you didn't succeed with this build.
I will certainly be following this one with the same enthusiasm I had watching the Saturn V come to life!
Old 11-26-2019, 01:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
Test boot

Dear all

So I thought that this project might be doable so I had a go at making a test boot to try and get a feel for what was involved in scaling up.

The first thing that took me by surprise is just how big every piece is. It shouldn't really as the clue is in the phrase "life-size"

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc12799.jpg

The above is the "internal support structure" a boot (which is as it is in the 1/4 model. However straight away it is clear this will have to be increase in the L-S model. So added some extras to see how it goes (shown below)

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc12800.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc12801.jpg
Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc12802.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc12803.jpg

However this is not enough so add some more support (again below)

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc12810.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc12811.jpg

This seems to be okay but I get the feeling internal support is going to be tricky due to the irregular shape of the model.

Sill I moved onto the outside of the boot. It is clear that on the 1/4 model it is intended that some of the joins will be edge glues and some using joining strips and some you can use tabs. However it is not always clear to me which were intended at each point. Moreover scaling up to this size means edge glues (which I find extremely hard to do neatly) will not necessarily work. So with the outside of the boot I experiment with a number of different things

For the heal, edge and lowest part of toe cap I used tabs to go underneath the sole

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc12816.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc12817.jpg

However overlapping is not going to work as this shows

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc12822.jpg

The instructions for the 1/4 model say all these parts to be backed by .5 mm this card "ceral boxes are ideal". So I experiment with cereal boxes and also some 1mm card. I also have another go at trying to avoid joining tabs as I can imagine places where this is going to be very difficult

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc12826.jpg

As you can see the results are a bit meh. So for the next parts of the toe cap I try joining tabs

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc12827.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc12853.jpg

This is much better though not as easy as I thought it would be. I am still unsure about the thickness of the backing. So next uo is the lower part of the "soft outer"

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc12897.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc12898.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc12899.jpg

This as you can see just does not fit. The scaling up and my joinings have just thrown everything out. After some thought and looking at stuff I have decided that the only way to proceed is to make the 1/4 model at the same time in order to "see" exactly how everything works. This will let me see how scaling up can be done.

So next up will be trying a 1/4 boot

Regards

Kevin
Old 11-26-2019, 01:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
well you did the Saturn 5 proud cracking job truly outstanding build so go for it and all the best will be with you on this as with Saturn build
Old 11-26-2019, 06:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
From observing guys doing props on stages I can tell you anything is doable if you build frame strong and stable enough to support what you are building.If you want to go life size you will need metal skeleton or frame much like Statue of Liberty has. Without it statue will collapse or will be unmovable without distorting shape.

Than again I bet Maxe can do it
Google Adsense
Old 11-27-2019, 03:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 488.89 MB
Eventhou it is paper model it will be quite heavy and support structure I see in your photos will not be enougth.

As Butelczynski wrote it needs strong frame. You can try extruded polystyrene for example and fill it with that.

Extensions for X-wing
Old 11-27-2019, 04:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 968.01 MB
Cool subject matter!

I look forward to monitoring your progress.

Duke Out!
Old 11-27-2019, 05:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
All the best in your endeavour, you are a brave man. If you can pull this off it'll be some achievement.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algebraist View Post

This as you can see just does not fit. The scaling up and my joinings have just thrown everything out. After some thought and looking at stuff I have decided that the only way to proceed is to make the 1/4 model at the same time in order to "see" exactly how everything works. This will let me see how scaling up can be done.

So next up will be trying a 1/4 boot

Regards

Kevin

I can totally relate. Only I didn't decide to do that approach until my third go around. For an RPG (Role Playing Game, not rocket-propelled grenade) that is set in Venice, I decided to help a guy out and design a slightly smaller than game scale version of the Rialto Bridge. I found a postcard model that I really just don't like at all, but I know I am going to have to build it, if I ever hope to get the game model to work. I should have decided to build it earlier...
Old 11-27-2019, 07:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 29.59 MB
May I suggest a pvc pipe armature that runs the height of the mode? I think you'll find the traditional interior support structure of cardboard will fail you at the ankles and shoulders. Especially if you live in a humid area, like north central Florida. I have a Pumpkinhead (the 90's movie) model that is almost (or only) 2' tall. It was great in the winter but would fall over at the ankles in summer! I ended up slicing it open and adding a traditional aluminum wire armature mounted on a piece of wood to hold up all that cardstock and paint.

I saw a video a couple years ago of a guy building a lifesize game character. He ended up using wood strips and a bunch of wooden tongue depressors to build what in the end was a messy interior wall style armature. I think if you can make a consideration for a proper armature from the beginning, you'll save a lot of time and frustration in the long run. If you want to stay more toward the paper and card realm, make the armature from box tubes or rolled up corrugated. Laminating for strength. I've even read of people spraying expanding foam into the tubes to add rigidity.

But heck, the challenge of figuring it out and making it all work as you go along is half the fun! I really look forward to your build, and hopefully learning from it myself!

Tags
apollo, astronaut, buzz aldrin, moon, neil armstrong