PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 03-11-2020, 12:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Some better photos. The angle-of-attack is kind of steep, so we'll just say it is still early in the entry interface. (Until I come up with a better stand, that is....)
Attached Thumbnails
Leo's Buran-img_9113.jpg   Leo's Buran-img_9114.jpg   Leo's Buran-img_9116.jpg   Leo's Buran-img_9121.jpg  
Old 03-11-2020, 03:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 912.66 MB
A beautiful model. Very nice build. I like that stand too.

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Old 03-11-2020, 09:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.42 GB
Outstanding work, sir!! What card thickness did you use for this? It's a pretty big kit, small parts must've been hard to tackle. I wonder if I could try R. Fortezza's kit in this scale.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N96HBK View Post
Outstanding work, sir!! What card thickness did you use for this? It's a pretty big kit, small parts must've been hard to tackle. I wonder if I could try R. Fortezza's kit in this scale.
I think the paper was 160 gsm. I buy it by the sheet at a local office-supply store, and I know it is slightly lighter than a package of 180 gsm paper I have.

It has been some time since I built the Fortezza Orbiter (resized to 1/96th scale) but I think it could be shrunk to 1/144th. It is a challenging model anyway, so rescaling it won't add a whole lot of difficulty. I've thought of doing it myself, but want to figure out a good way to replicate the AFRSI blankets, which would be noticeable in that scale. The later Orbiters had a pretty rough texture to them.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanners View Post
I think the paper was 160 gsm. I buy it by the sheet at a local office-supply store, and I know it is slightly lighter than a package of 180 gsm paper I have.

It has been some time since I built the Fortezza Orbiter (resized to 1/96th scale) but I think it could be shrunk to 1/144th. It is a challenging model anyway, so rescaling it won't add a whole lot of difficulty. I've thought of doing it myself, but want to figure out a good way to replicate the AFRSI blankets, which would be noticeable in that scale. The later Orbiters had a pretty rough texture to them.
For some reason, I couldn't find 160gsm card at the suppliers, but I did get a stash of 150gsm. Perhaps I should try the Columbia kit I worked on in 1/144. I'd love to see you build it again. I've read about someone cutting up linen card stock for a plastic model, but I think it'll be too thick for a paper model in 1/144...
Old 03-12-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N96HBK View Post
For some reason, I couldn't find 160gsm card at the suppliers, but I did get a stash of 150gsm. Perhaps I should try the Columbia kit I worked on in 1/144. I'd love to see you build it again. I've read about someone cutting up linen card stock for a plastic model, but I think it'll be too thick for a paper model in 1/144...
When I built the Fortezza Atlantis in 1/96th years back, I was able to use some textured white paper I found that looked relatively convincing in that scale.

One possibility in 1/144th would be toilet tissue (Cottenelle, as I recall...) stiffened with a 50/50 mixture of white glue and water, then cut into small squares and rectangles and glued on.

Of course the other route is to just build Columbia as it looked early in its career. No need for AFRSI blankets, and you don't have to alter the tail to include the drag-chute housing or SILTS pod.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:12 PM

And speaking of the Fortezza shuttle, does anyone have an electronic copy of the instructional manual they can share? I went to the old MARs Center website via the Wayback machine and while you can pull up the individual pages of the models, I can't find where one can download the whole manual. You just get a single page.

If you've got one, please let me know. Thanks.
Old 03-13-2020, 02:25 AM

Toilet paper sounds intriguing!!! But wouldn't the glue harden it too much? Would be awfully hard to get them round curved surfaces.

I have a copy of the manual on my phone. I'll PM you.
Old 03-13-2020, 03:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
About that Mars Center thing: I am often wondering whether we could try and reach out to Raimondo Fortezza and save his creations here on Papermodelers one day, kind of having a vault in which models which are bound to be lost online can be saved and kept on being shared. Just like the models of Ton Noteboom and Fabrizio Prudenziati.
Old 03-13-2020, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper Kosmonaut View Post
About that Mars Center thing: I am often wondering whether we could try and reach out to Raimondo Fortezza and save his creations here on Papermodelers one day, kind of having a vault in which models which are bound to be lost online can be saved and kept on being shared. Just like the models of Ton Noteboom and Fabrizio Prudenziati.
I think that's a great idea, the shuttle manual has an email address, but I wonder if it is still valid.