PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 05-03-2020, 11:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Chinese Rocket: Long March 5 Y3 and Long March 5B 1/96

We have seen many rocket paper models but few from China. Actually one can only find a 1/96 CZ-2F (Chinese only manned rocket) paper model designed by a German(Sorry I can't even find his/her name. Please inform me if you know) and two others from Hobby Model (CZ-2F and CZ-2E).

It's quiet a pity that we can't see and craft Chinese rocket models although China do have some strong and beautiful rockets.

I'm a Chinese rocket fan. The rocket touched and inspired me when I was young was Long March 5 (or Chang Zheng 5). Well, although there are many larger rockets in USA and Russia, it's still strong enough to become the "dream rocket" of a Chinese boy. I started to collected information of it since 2013 and watched the second flight of it in the Wenchang Space Launch Site, Hainan province in 2017 with thousands of people around me. Sadly, the flight was failed but it didn't break my passion.

LM-5 is the strongest heavy-lift launch vehicle mainland China ever made. It has 2 core stages and 4 boosters and it has the capacity: about 32 tons to LEO(theoretical, not use) and 14 tons to GTO. LM-5B is a variation of it by just removing the second core stage and only focus on LEO missions ( Chinese space station construction). LM-5B's LEO capacity is 25 tons. They are comparable to Angara-5, slightly stronger than Proton M, H-IIB and Ariane 5 ECA but weaker than Delta Heavy. In conclusion, they deserve having good paper models!

So I decided to design their paper models in 2019 and recently finished the paper model of LM-5. (You will see the pictures of LM-5B model but it's still in progress)

Imagine how happy of me when I just finished it..........hahaha

I have published my design and uploaded them to Google Drive/OneDrive/MEGA cloud so you can download them for free(Licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0). (Links in the end) The only problem is I haven't yet translated the manual from Chinese to English........(The paper model document is already in 2 languages) That's why I haven't uploaded the files to this website. Translation will take some time. I may finish it in 1 or 2 months. (I have other works to do....)

Well, I will post some other pictures of LM-5 paper model and some design details in the following days and hope you will like it!

P.S. LM-5B will have its inaugural flight in about 30 hrs (2020-05-05 6:00pm UTC+8 from leaking information). Hope it will be a success. Finger cross.......

----------
Download (please tell me if it's inappropriate to put links here...)
https://mega.nz/folder/i6RnxKCZ#g4zd7G46akgXBDMWgaH7hg (MEGA)
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AspIeYcFe8iSagXfuMkgKF98ARY (OneDrive)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Pf...10yaWNepV-TrVz (Google Drive)
https://www.jianguoyun.com/p/DUV5VeMQudK1BxiutJQD (Nutstore)
Google Adsense
Old 05-04-2020, 07:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.90 GB
Thank you very much for this very interesting model.
You can fin several other chinese rockets here:
Other models
Old 05-04-2020, 10:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 220.03 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to axm61
Hi Kai,

Welcome to this forum. I also want to thank you for your marvelous design.
The Long March 5 is one of the rockets that is on my list of models waiting to be designed, but because there’s little reference about it, I couldn’t begin with the design process. I have a website dedicated to paper models in Space category.

I can see you have created a very detailed model al the way up to the minute Chinese wording on the rocket. You might have had access to high resolution photos. You’re very fortunate.

The models I design are based on photos. The accuracy of a model depends on real measurements and high quality photos, and your models shows it.
Congrats again for a wonderful job.
Old 05-04-2020, 12:05 PM

Kai,

I was able to download your model and translated your Preface. Thank you for your words. I’m glad my work served as an inspiration for you.
Old 05-04-2020, 01:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 319.34 MB
Welcome to this forum. There are several enthusiasts for rocket models.
Your model is great and also information about the planned start is very valuable. Thank you for both.
You're right, there aren't many Chinese rocket models.
But they exist.
And everyone else is great!
Google Adsense
Old 05-04-2020, 03:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 3.29 GB
Thank you, Kai,

Wonderful model and a subject which is relatively unknown. You changed that!

Willem E.
(AKA Ponytail)
Old 05-04-2020, 03:44 PM

Thank you. It's my honor. And I believe many others are inspired by you. I saw in another post "Indian Launch Vehicle" Rocketsharma says "...and inspired by Alfonso Moreno from axm paper models, I decided to restart my hobby".

You are so popular!

I also learned several paper model design paradigm from your and Leo Cherkashyn's designs.

About the references and photos. Yes, it's quiet a problem since Chinese space organizations don't care too much about advertising and data publication. One can't only rely on information from their official websites. State media also took many special report on the rocket, but pictures are still insufficient for modeling. I believe there are some high quality photos taken by enthusiasts during rocket transportation (transportation is open to citizens except military missions) but those are then published in their own media, dissolve in the Internet and quiet hard to collect, besides, Chinese media is isolated from here..... You are right since one guy I acquaint took really good pictures and fortunately he was willing to share. That improved my design very much. (Those minute Chinese wording)
However, many minute Chinese characters you see are actually "placeholder". I know there are words but can't recognize. I will show them in the next post. It's funny.
Old 05-04-2020, 04:18 PM

This post shows some funny details on surface patterns.

I got some photos in really good quality with many details about LM-5 from a guy a acquaint during my visit to the launch site. His photos made me almost redraft my design... So I was able to add minute characters on the surface of the rocket.

This one looks normal. Although I don't quiet understand those jargons and I'm not an engineer.

But next:

Well, I know there are some words at some places and I even know the number of characters but I can't recognize them.

So, make jokes.... and make sure no one could recognize them when printed.
Old 05-04-2020, 05:09 PM

Let me finish my left presentation in this post.
1. My design about connecting rod between booster and 1st stage (I'm not sure about its English jargon) since I came out with this idea by myself.

I use toothpicks and trim them to wooden(or bamboo) sticks:

The white box covering the rod is used to contain separation explosive devices.

And the result is:

2. Some other pictures I'd like to share...

OK. That's all for these days. I will come back and inform you when I finish translating the manual.
Old 05-04-2020, 06:20 PM

This is awesome. Thanks Kai for sharing this information to us.
I would’ve never known what you wrote on those placeholders. That was funny.
Sometimes when I can’t tell what a label says on some photos, I just draw a blurred line. 😂
Google Adsense

Tags
china, cz-5, lm-5, rocket