PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 07-09-2020, 09:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
X-15 in 1/72nd scale

I wanted to build a model with a low parts count that would be a relatively relaxing and straightforward one-day project. I’ve seen Henry Yuen’s X-15 in our downloads section for a few years so I decided to give it a try.

The model is 1/87th scale, but I resized it to 1/72nd. Henry’s model is of 66670, the first X-15, and is in “generic” markings. It is the later XLR-99-engined version of 66670, and I wanted to backdate it to the XLR-11 version.

The change required extending the rear fuselage a couple of millimeters, which I did with some black cardstock. The XLR-11 engines (there were actually two of them) were then scratchbuilt out of card.

I shortened the model’s ventral vertical stabilizer by a couple of millimeters; the model has it the same size as the upper stabilizer, but the ventral stabilizer is actually shorter.

Other changes and alterations were made throughout. I toned down some of the panel lines with a dark gray marker. It turned into a two-day project, and I still need to fashion a stand for the model.

This is one of those models that makes me want to learn how to repaint. The X-15s carried a variety of markings, particularly on the upper vertical stabilizer and wings. It would be cool to model some of those different versions.
Attached Thumbnails
X-15 in 1/72nd scale-img_9778.jpg   X-15 in 1/72nd scale-img_9779.jpg   X-15 in 1/72nd scale-img_9782.jpg   X-15 in 1/72nd scale-img_9783.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 07-10-2020, 10:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 143.70 MB
Try it! Copy the plans and change the name of the file. What can possibly go wrong?
Old 07-11-2020, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aansorge View Post
Try it! Copy the plans and change the name of the file. What can possibly go wrong?
I’m not quite sure how to interpret that....
Old 07-11-2020, 05:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 143.70 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanners View Post
I’m not quite sure how to interpret that....

just pointing out the obvious; work on a backup, not the original copy. That way you only (!) loose the hundreds of hours spent learning and trial and error.
Old 07-11-2020, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aansorge View Post
just pointing out the obvious; work on a backup, not the original copy. That way you only (!) loose the hundreds of hours spent learning and trial and error.
Thanks for the tip.
Google Adsense