PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 07-22-2020, 12:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
The world speed-run X-15A-2.....

Yukonjohn has already done two great repaints of Henry Yuen’s X-15, and now he makes it three. But it isn’t merely a repaint; he turned the model into the X-15A-2, the stretched version of X-15-2, 66671, in which Pete Knight set the world speed record of Mach 6.7 (4,520 mph) in October 1967.

The fuselage of the X-15A-2 was stretched 28 inches from the original airframe, and the side tunnels were extended to the rear of the fuselage. For the world speed run, the aircraft was covered in an ablative coating. The coating was pink, and was covered with a white sealant. The vehicle carried a dummy ramjet on the modified lower vertical stabilizer and it nearly caused a catastrophe; heat flow from the dummy ramjet caused overheating that nearly burned off the tail. The structural damage was so extensive that the X-15A-2 never flew again.

Yukonjohn make the necessary alterations, did the repaint, designed a dummy ramjet and enlarged the model from 1/87 to 1/72. I added a number of scratchbuilt details, including the “eyelid” that covered the port cockpit window. I improved the XLR-99 motor. The model went together well, and I’m indebted to Yukonjohn for adding this important aircraft to our genre. To my knowledge, this is the first card model of the all-white X-15A-2.

I’m told model should be in the downloads section in the near future….
Attached Thumbnails
The world speed-run X-15A-2.....-img_9894.jpg   The world speed-run X-15A-2.....-img_9897.jpg   The world speed-run X-15A-2.....-img_9899.jpg   The world speed-run X-15A-2.....-img_9895.jpg   The world speed-run X-15A-2.....-img_9901.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 07-22-2020, 01:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 9.52 MB
Beautiful job on a landmark aircraft!
Old 07-22-2020, 05:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 113.01 MB
That looks Great! I saw the real aircraft at the USAF Museum a few years ago.
Old 07-22-2020, 07:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.91 GB
Another great job. You're not going to try a delta-wing version are you?
Old 07-22-2020, 07:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 683.22 MB
No delta wing in my plans . The white X-15 is now in the download section.

John
Google Adsense
Old 07-24-2020, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mole View Post
Another great job. You're not going to try a delta-wing version are you?
In theory, a delta-winged X-15 wouldn't be hard to scratchbuild. Assemble the fuselage, side tunnels and vertical stabilizers, then fashion delta wings out of black cardstock. In theory.

Got fancy with a base I found at the stationery store. The fist X-15 and the world-record speed run X-15A-2:
Attached Thumbnails
The world speed-run X-15A-2.....-img_9908.jpg  
Old 07-24-2020, 04:30 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Awesome models and display. Great job!
Old 07-24-2020, 08:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
Wow! A whole series of X-15 variants in paper is something I like to see. Great job on these. It’s nice that someone finally remembered the all white version — even in plastic, most modelers opt for the black planes.
Old 07-24-2020, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparenti View Post
Wow! A whole series of X-15 variants in paper is something I like to see. Great job on these. It’s nice that someone finally remembered the all white version — even in plastic, most modelers opt for the black planes.
Between the three X-15s, there were a multitude of variations in markings. They often changed from mission to mission, particularly on the upper vertical stabilizer. And when it carried the serial number on the tail, they often changed the font and size.

Add to that the potential for weathering -- the heat scorched and burned off paint -- and there are a lot of things you can do.

There is one correction on the X-15A-2, and the error is solely mine. The very top of the upper rudder wasn't covered with the ablative coating and sealant. It was left black. Completely missed that when I was gathering info and images for Yukonjohn. Did a little surgery this morning and fixed my version because it was gonna bug me until I did....
Attached Thumbnails
The world speed-run X-15A-2.....-img_9920.jpg  
Old 07-30-2020, 08:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 155.43 MB
exquisite work sir!!
Google Adsense