PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 07-24-2020, 03:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 362.87 MB
Atlas D in 1:240 scale printed on silver paper

In the on-line Zoom and Google meetings, we talked about how some models lend themselves to be printed on silver paper. The best silver paper to use in an ink-jet printer is RedRiver metallic paper, but it is no longer available and the modelers that have it use it sparingly. I found some silver gift wrapping paper and tried printing on it with an ink-jet printer. The paper didn't absorbed ink and it pooled on the surface. I then tried it in a laser printer and the toner stuck to the surface.

The paper model I am printing out on the silver gift wrapping paper is:

Atlas Agena - Precision Paper, original 1:96

I am downsizing it to 1:240 scale and putting all the parts that need to be printed on the silver paper on one page and the other parts on another page to be printed on plain paper. I had to remove the shading and darken the edges of the silver parts. That took some time to get the pages ready to print on the laser printer.

The label on the silver gift wrapping paper got throw away when it was unwrapped from the store. It has silver on one side and 1” squares for cutting on the other side. I think it said heavyweight wrapping paper on the label but it is thinner than copy paper.

In the photos you can see the pages I printed out. They are a quarter size of an 8½ x 11 page about 4”x5”. I printed one plain paper copy of both pages to use as a control test build, then printed a silver page and plain paper page to test build the silver model. I am using the same building technique on both models to see how they differ using the silver paper. I have an extra silver paper in case I have to start over building it.

I am using the Precision Paper instructions for this test build. The final photos show the Main Tank front and back with the Main Tank Cylinder/Tapered Section Adapter glued to the top and the Forward Bulkhead glued under it. The Aft Bulkhead and Forward Bulkhead are glued on card stock beside the Main Tank cutouts.

I would be interested in reply postings from anyone who has built models out of silver gift wrapping paper. I am using the same Elmer's glue (PVA) on both models. The feel of the silver paper is different from the plain paper. Cutting it with scissors also has a different feel but it cuts without any issues so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Atlas D in 1:240 scale printed on silver paper-parts-pages.jpg   Atlas D in 1:240 scale printed on silver paper-silver-white-pages.jpg   Atlas D in 1:240 scale printed on silver paper-main-tank-front.jpg   Atlas D in 1:240 scale printed on silver paper-main-tank-back.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 07-24-2020, 03:38 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Looking at the pictures, I fear the long run of silver paper will not
lend itself well to the rolling process. Perhaps if it were carefully laminated
to some regular cardstock?

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 07-25-2020, 02:35 PM

The photos show the progress made on building the Main Tank. The Main Tank was rolled into a cylinder and the ends glued to the paper connector strip. I did find that the paper connector strip should be bent into shape before gluing instead of after gluing. There was some damage to the silver surface in bending the paper connector strip. Also, a smaller width to the connector strip can be used.

I am pleased with the results of rolling the Main Tank especially after Texman's post about his concerns with rolling the part. This just may be beginner's luck. I cut out the rest of the parts for the Main Tank. I learned from gluing the Aft Bulkhead to card stock that the glue should be spread on the card stock instead of the silver paper. Also, the silver paper should be handled with care until it dries. I used Tacky glue to glue the Aft Bulkhead to the Main Tank. The silver paper didn't have a paper bulkhead on the Main Tank at this location and there were some problems gluing the parts together.

In building the other parts, I learned that the silver paper I am using does not make a sharp edge bend as paper folds do. It will bend but edges are more rounded than the paper parts. Gluing the parts to the silver surface, I used Canopy glue. I use this in model trains and it sticks to plastic, drys clear and is water soluble for clean-up and removal. Excess glue is noticeable on the reflexive silver surface and should be used sparingly.

The Vernier Fairings gave me the most issues because of their size. Also, you can see the folding issue better comparing the paper model and the silver model. The paper model has a better defined shape on their Vernier Fairings. This may the a characteristics of the silver paper I'm using or my building technique being used. I would like to know if modelers with different silver paper see this same folding/bending issue between copy paper and silver gift wrapping paper.
Attached Thumbnails
Atlas D in 1:240 scale printed on silver paper-parts-cut-out.jpg   Atlas D in 1:240 scale printed on silver paper-main-tank-aft-bulkhead.jpg   Atlas D in 1:240 scale printed on silver paper-main-tank-parts.jpg  
Old 07-25-2020, 04:20 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Well, I'm happy for you that it worked!

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 07-26-2020, 01:15 PM

The photos show attaching/gluing the silver Main Tank Tapered Section to the silver Main Tank and gluing the Engines to the Aft Bulkhead. The second photo shows the cross braces inside the Main Tank that the Forward Bulkhead was glued onto. I was surprised how easy the Main Tank Tapered Section glued to the Main Tank. Elmer's glue (PVA) was used for these parts. The Engines were glued with Canopy glue.

The next photo shows the complete silver and paper model together. In the final photo, it shows a comparison to the first Atlas model I built years ago that I found looking through shoe boxes of my beginning phase of paper model building. All those beginning phase models were print on a laser printer and the toner would flake off the model. I painted the top of the Atlas model with black paint to hide the gaps in toner. You can see the problem on the Atlas Main Tank. Back then I was happy to get a model built and I learned a lot since that time.

I am interested to see how the toner holds up on the silver gift wrapping paper. I think the silver paper is made in two layers, a paper base and a plastic type color layer. That may explain why it doesn't absorbs the Ink-Jet ink. I suspect the laser printer may melt the toner into the plastic layer with its heat. That is something I will do more research into.

My family thinks the silver model looks better than the paper models. All I can see is the defects in the silver model. My wife says it looks like real metal to her. It will be interesting to hear from other modelers about their experiences making models out of silver gift wrapping paper and see their models.
Attached Thumbnails
Atlas D in 1:240 scale printed on silver paper-top-engines-parts.jpg   Atlas D in 1:240 scale printed on silver paper-internal-brace.jpg   Atlas D in 1:240 scale printed on silver paper-completed.jpg   Atlas D in 1:240 scale printed on silver paper-comparison.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 07-27-2020, 02:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 968.01 MB
I'll be glad to assist in your project if you require anything from my original files. You are doing a great job.

Be safe
Old 07-27-2020, 05:01 PM

Thanks Surfduke for your post; I was hoping modelers were finding it useful. I will take you up on your offer to assist with the project. After I work through the construction techniques of building models out of silver gift wrapping paper, I plan to build the different Atlas Configurations like the drawings on these Websites:

Encyclopedia Astronautica – Atlas

Atlas Configurations

I am collecting information about the configurations, particularly the A and B versions since they have different paint schemes from the other versions.

In Jan Kytop's “The spacecraft of the day at 1/220!” thread has an Atlas built from a Scissorsandplanes model in his 06-21-2020 post. Does anyone know where these model patterns are available or can be purchased?

I have tried to send Scissorsandplanes several Private Messages about how to buy his space models but have not received any responses to them.

Also, Jan Kytop where do you get your bases for your rockets? I need to find bases for my rockets.
Old 07-28-2020, 03:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 968.01 MB
P.M. Me anytime. I will respond ASAP.

Have a great day!
Old 08-02-2020, 06:50 PM

1st Test Build Summary

The 1st test build of Atlas D rocket using silver gift wrapping paper was to see if it could be built and determine building issues compared to traditional paper building techniques. The photos show the building issues found during the building process.

The first photo is a composite view of both sides of the Atlas rocket. It shows the problem with sharp bends of the silver gift wrapping paper used. The bottom of the tank shows problem gluing the thin silver paper without reinforcing paper glued to the back of the silver paper. This is a concern expressed by Texman during the rolling process.

The second photo shows the problem of not bending the connecting paper to shape before gluing the joining seams of the main tank. The tapered top section of the main tank was shaped before gluing the joining seams.

The third photo shows tests of gluing large parts of the silver gift wrapping paper to thicker copy or card stock paper. While gluing small parts of the silver gift wrapping paper to copy and card stock paper was successful, care must be used in handling these parts until dry.

I still have the second silver laser printed paper that I didn't use, so in the near future I will do a 2nd test build to try addressing these issues. The 1st test build rocket will be kept in storage to see how well the materials and building techniques hold up over time. Silver gift wrapping paper usage is like the Atlas D rockets of the time, 'one and done'.
Attached Thumbnails
Atlas D in 1:240 scale printed on silver paper-both-side-views.jpg   Atlas D in 1:240 scale printed on silver paper-connecting-tank-seams.jpg   Atlas D in 1:240 scale printed on silver paper-gluing-large-parts.jpg  
Old 08-03-2020, 05:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 180.54 MB
Back in the late '60s, early '70s there was a junk yard just south of St. Pete/Clearwater Airport, (PIE). They had an Atlas rocket body laying on it's side along the back fence. I was impressed with how small it actually was after seeing it on the news with all the Mercury launches a few years previously. It had taken on a similar sheen laying out in the weather.
sp
Google Adsense