PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 08-06-2020, 01:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Some examples of markings differences:
Attached Thumbnails
Yet another X-15.....-img_9975.jpg   Yet another X-15.....-img_9976.jpg   Yet another X-15.....-img_9977.jpg   Yet another X-15.....-img_9978.jpg   Yet another X-15.....-img_9979.jpg  

Old 08-07-2020, 04:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanners View Post
The three X-15s flew a total of 199 flights and markings often changed from flight to flight or month to month. Also (as on this model) various panels were replaced or covered with test paints and ablators. Also, keep in mind the high speeds the X-15 flew often burned off the paint. Safety and warning placards and vent markings were usually static, but there were variations. Modeling an accurate X-15 involves picking a mission or a time period, finding photos and going from that.

The main variations in markings were on the fuselage, wings and vertical stabilizers/rudders:

Fuselage -- Going from fore to aft.... On rollout, all three X-15s carried "X-15 NORTH AMERICAN AVIATION INC." on both sides of the nose in white. These markings usually only lasted a few weeks or months, and were eventually replaced by the NASA meatball on a yellow stylized spearhead. (The yellow paint was hardier than the blue used in the meatball; it isn't unusual to see post-flight photos of the blue burned off.)

As an aside, I get so tired of seeing plastic modelers build the X-15A-2 and stick the white "X-15" and NAA markings on the nose. The X-15A-2 never carried that marking. You'd be surprised how many do that....

The "U.S. AIR FORCE" legend was carried mid-fuselage, but it's location could change. On the X-15-1, the legend was split horizontally between the fuselage and side tunnels; in later interations, it was entirely on the side tunnels. Conversely, in the early months of X-15-1's life, the national insignia was entirely on the side tunnels, but in later iterations, it was split horizontally between the fuselage and side tunnels.

Wings -- The "normal" markings were the national insignia on the upper port wing and lower starboard wing, and "USAF" on the upper starboard wing and lower port wing. But some flights flew with no markings at all on the wings, or just the national insignia on the upper port wing.

Vertical stabilizers/rudders -- On rollout, the X-15-1 had its serial number on the moving portion rudder and that was it. Later, though, the "normal" markings were the serial number (66670, 66671 or 66672) on the fixed portion of the stabilizer and the yellow NASA band on the rudder. The font and size used for the serial numbers and "NASA" could change, depending on the flight, although in the early 1960s, they settled on a single font for the NASA legend.

However, the upper stabilizers were an area of great variation from flight to flight. The yellow NASA band could be carried on both sides or just one side; same with the serial number. It wasn't unusual to see the NASA band on the left side and the serial number on the right side.

That's it in a nutshell....
Very interesting! Thanks for taking the time to share David.
I was going to ask if you were going to build a model for each flight of an X-15 but have just learnt there were 199 flights made!

Hoping (as others have already said in some of your other threads) that the next X-15 build you do you are able to show the build in lots of progress photos.

I think the X-15 was a great plane and the true cross over to rockets and your models of them are fantastic.

Regards and take care

Kevin
Old 08-08-2020, 04:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algebraist View Post
Very interesting! Thanks for taking the time to share David.
I was going to ask if you were going to build a model for each flight of an X-15 but have just learnt there were 199 flights made!

Hoping (as others have already said in some of your other threads) that the next X-15 build you do you are able to show the build in lots of progress photos.

I think the X-15 was a great plane and the true cross over to rockets and your models of them are fantastic.

Regards and take care

Kevin
Thanks for the kind words. I'm working on a soon-to-be-released version and barring the unforeseen, there'll be a build thread up in a day or so....
Old 08-08-2020, 09:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.77 MB
Great info!
Thanks