PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 08-28-2020, 08:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 362.87 MB
DIY Straw Rocket Launcher

I am starting this thread after thinking about a post from southwestforests in another thread. He used the term “atmosphere” in discussing his modeling methods. It turns out that he is talking about flying model rocket models using rocket motors to fly the rockets. That seems to me to be in an entirely different category from what I see discussed in the forum.

However, it started me thinking about paper model rockets that do fly and are in the category we model. I found many of my first models I built on the The Lower Hudson ValleyE-Gift Shop Web site. I remember there are stomp rockets that can be downloaded and flown. I even downloaded the second set of stomp rocket tutorials back then.

I never built the stomp rocket launcher setup, but I learned about straw rockets which is a down-sized version of the stomp rocket. Several years ago I built a straw rocket launcher for my grandchildren to fly rockets. I down-sized the patterns to fit the straws and let them fly the rockets. Their house has a second floor so we launched them up the stairs and if it made it to the second floor then it reached orbit. If it landed on the stairs, we knew how high that model flew. Tutorial 1 Redstone rockets reached orbit more than the Tutorial 4 Saturn rockets.

The reason I model in smaller scales is that my wife has me store my models in shoe boxes. I decided to look for the shoe box with these straw rocket models. I built them in my Phase 1 Laser Printer Learning time-frame. The 1st photo shows the rockets I built. The left rocket is an Aries Mini Saturn V that is not a straw rocket. I have it in the photo to show the scale of the tutorial straw rockets. The right X-15 is not a straw rocket either. I was building it as a test to see if I could made it small enough to be a straw rocket. The next photo shows some of the rockets that could have their engine put in for display and removed for flying.

The next 2 photos show the straw rocket launcher. It was made out of parts from the recycle bin and spare parts from home projects. The O Ring is a spare part from one of these projects. It is used on the straw to form the seal. The last 3 photos show my grandson testing the launcher with one of the rockets. My wife was down range in the recovery zone and can certify that the paper model does fly. She took away our flight privileges at our house and we have to fly them at their house in the stairway where there is a higher ceiling.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Straw Rocket Launcher-straw-rockets.jpg   DIY Straw Rocket Launcher-engines.jpg   DIY Straw Rocket Launcher-straw-rocket-launcher.jpg   DIY Straw Rocket Launcher-o-ring.jpg   DIY Straw Rocket Launcher-countdown.jpg  

DIY Straw Rocket Launcher-launch.jpg   DIY Straw Rocket Launcher-post-launch.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 08-28-2020, 09:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 699.34 MB
Joe,
This is cool! I expect that the range, or ceiling, depends on how hard the mission control person stomps on the propellant (air bottle). I reckon CO2 cartridges would be a bit much.

I brings to mind experiments as a child, mixing black powder and sulphur to create solid fuel for home-made bottle rockets. Naturally, some of them just exploded, like really big fire crackers, and some just fizzled, but we also got some to take off like banshees. Back then, there were no restrictions on such things, even in town.

I recommend you not suggest solid fuel rockets to the missus. She might not see the humor in it.

All in all, this is a great way to keep the grandkids entertained and maybe interest them in papermodeling.

Wayne
Old 08-29-2020, 07:52 PM

Yes Wayne, we live in a different world than the one we grow-up in. I have a friend who made his rocket engines from sugar and potassium nitrate when he was a kid. He could even walk through the middle of his small Texas town with a shotgun over his shoulder and folks he would meet would tell him,”Hope you get something today.” Someone try that today and it would be like an episode of “Young Sheldon” with the ATF or some other government agency at their door.

I think we should limit the flying paper model category to what is in the download section of the forum and doesn't require government regulations.

After doing a search, I found these downloads and posts in the forum:

Stomp Rocket Tutorial #1 Rocket

Flying Cardstock Models

Stomp Rocket Educational Activity Plan

Straw Rocket Launcher Plans and Activity Book

These are posted by mbauer and Retired_for_now.

Also in the shoe box, I found the first Space Shuttle Stack model I built in my Phase 1 Laser Printer Learning time-frame. It is not a straw rocket model and shows why models should not be printed on consumer grade laser printers. The model in the photos includes: the Shuttle is a Delta 7 Studios Columbia free model, the stack is a AXM Paper Space Scale Model, and the stand is from the paper-replika.com Atlantis Space Shuttle Paper Model. The model templates were down-scaled to 1:450 and this was a test build so the names on the shuttle and stand don't match.

Talking about my wife might not seeing the humor in flying paper models, she had us move them from White Sands Missile Range(our house) to Cape Canaveral(grandson's house). This may sum up her feeling about it:

You know you're a paper modeler's wife when....
You have paper model rockets flying in your house and when you ask Why? The answer you receive is that it is more prototypical for rockets to fly.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Straw Rocket Launcher-shuttle-front.jpg   DIY Straw Rocket Launcher-shuttle-side.jpg   DIY Straw Rocket Launcher-shuttle-back.jpg   DIY Straw Rocket Launcher-shuttle-ruler.jpg  
Old 08-30-2020, 06:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
I like how you made the rockets for flight and display. Lately I've been fixing up my old Estes flying rockets to launch with my grandkids, but the stomp rockets may be a better option. My grandson is a bit of a Bam Bam. Curious to see how long the water bottle launcher would hold up with him.
Old 08-31-2020, 07:10 PM

Hi rmks2000, check what options you have in your re-cycle bin for the propellant (air bottle) tank. If I remember correctly, the one I'm using is a hair spray bottle and it has thicker plastic sides. A water bottle has thin plastic and I doubt it would last long. A soda bottle may be a better option and easier to find. My wife's patience has always run out before there was failure with the propellant (air bottle) tank. You may be interested in the next option.

What I did on summer vacation...
Before school started, my family decided to have a vacation on a farm. They rented a guest house on a farm and we went there to see the donkeys and llamas, fish in the pond, cook hot dogs and melt marshmallows over a fire, and swim in the pool. My wife told me this is a vacation and I couldn't take any paper models with me. In the afternoon when it was hot(it is hot in Texas) they had activities for the kids inside.

My activity was to help them with the Fun with Flight | STEM Project for Ages 5-8 | KiwiCo. It is a kit that is either a big straw rocket or small stomp rocket. The photos shows the parts of the kit, it being built, and the rockets being flown. I had no scissors, glue or clothespins and only paper tabs that didn't stick very well. That is why there is a rocket flying without fins. When we got back home, I glued the fins together and used Loctite 60 Sec. universal glue to attach them to the plastic straw.

However, this got me thinking: is this a big straw rocket or small stomp rocket; or is it just a different scale launch system for the rockets? This reminded me of the drawings that show the Redstone engine going up to the F1 Saturn V engine. In the tutorial rockets, all of the rockets used the same engine with the Redstone preforming better than the Saturn. Shouldn't the Saturn have a larger engine? Maybe the launch system should be scaled to the rocket it is launching? Are does it matter that it only gets the rocket in the air? Is this the “atmosphere” that southwestforests discussed in his post?
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Straw Rocket Launcher-building-kit.jpg   DIY Straw Rocket Launcher-launcher-built.jpg   DIY Straw Rocket Launcher-farm-launch.jpg   DIY Straw Rocket Launcher-kiwico-kit.jpg   DIY Straw Rocket Launcher-rocket-repair.jpg  

DIY Straw Rocket Launcher-fins-gluing.jpg   DIY Straw Rocket Launcher-60-sec-glue.jpg   DIY Straw Rocket Launcher-rocket-bottoms.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 08-31-2020, 08:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willard11 View Post
Hi rmks2000, check what options you have in your re-cycle bin for the propellant (air bottle) tank. If I remember correctly, the one I'm using is a hair spray bottle and it has thicker plastic sides. A water bottle has thin plastic and I doubt it would last long. A soda bottle may be a better option and easier to find. My wife's patience has always run out before there was failure with the propellant (air bottle) tank. You may be interested in the next option.

However, this got me thinking: is this a big straw rocket or small stomp rocket; or is it just a different scale launch system for the rockets? This reminded me of the drawings that show the Redstone engine going up to the F1 Saturn V engine. In the tutorial rockets, all of the rockets used the same engine with the Redstone preforming better than the Saturn. Shouldn't the Saturn have a larger engine? Maybe the launch system should be scaled to the rocket it is launching? Are does it matter that it only gets the rocket in the air? Is this the “atmosphere” that southwestforests discussed in his post?
NASA considers these "Single Impulse" rockets.

Once they leave the launch "Barrel" they no longer are powered.

Weight has a big deal to do with how high these fly.

One thing that can make them go higher: Use the longest internal tube that you can fit. The longer this internal "PSI" tube is on the launch barrel, the longer the impulse or power stroke is.

Try this test: Cut a really short launch barrel, say 3" long, now cut one 6" long, using the same rocket that is 12" tall, launch it from both barrels, which one makes it go higher?

On my stomp rockets, I have a balance of the diameter of the internal PSI Tube that fits the PVC pipe. Not to tight that it restricts movement, but not so loose that the rocket wobbles when on the barrel. The tighter the fit, the more efficient the launch will be. Less "blow-by" means the rocket gets full advantage of the "stomp".

I have several winged gliders that are stomp rockets: F104, F106, D-21, X-15.

For the X-15 have a whole set of the planes that were submitted for the Proposal bidding for the eventual NAA winning X-15 design. Republic entered, Douglass submitted, Bell tried as well. Bonus is a delta wing version added to the set.

Soda bottles last for awhile, eventually develops holes in them. Green ones last the longest. 7up/Sprite type.

PM me with an email, I can send you a pdf if you would like a winged one.

Mike
Old 09-03-2020, 05:14 PM

Thanks Mike(mbauer ) for the detailed explanation of how "Single Impulse" (stomp/straw) rockets work. I see in the forum and on the internet that you have a lot of experience in designing and flying them. "Single Impulse" rockets appear to be like firearms(guns) with the internal tube being the "Barrel" and the length is like the pistol or rifle barrel for range. The propellant (air bottle) tank is like the charge(gunpowder) in the bullet. The same principles could then be applied to "Single Impulse" rockets.

If this is the case, then the stomp/straw rockets can be moved from an art project to a STEM project with:

Science explaining the Physic principles

Math predicting the outcome of changes in the variables; such as length of the tube, etc.

Engineering uses the principles in design

Technology uses materials and construction techniques to build the designs

Doing this will require measurable results of the launches. Currently we are doing this using the stairs to see what step the rocket reaches. Going to the 2nd floor is achieving orbit and is the designated objective. There may be better ways to get measurable results of the launches. Mike, I will PM you for the additional information.

This is going to require more study and research than just demonstrating the principle with straws and hair spray bottles. Back when I was in Middle School(Junior High), I demonstrated this principle by tearing the end off the paper wrapping of a straw and blowing on the straw to let the paper wrapping fly. The lunch duty teacher did not see the learning value of this demonstration and I got after school detention as a result. In band class, the horn section would sharpen pencils and use their horns to blow them to stick in the ceiling. Some time later, the pencils would fall from the ceiling, usually in a different band class.

With the start of school in this time of pandemic, there is a moratorium on all stomp/straw flight activities at grandson's house. On-line schooling is challenging for all involved; teachers, students, parents and grandparents. My stomp/straw models are going back into the shoe box except for the Space Shuttle Stack model. I'm going to print it with an Ink-Jet printer, but that will be in a different thread. My wife says she is going to do a better job of storing(hiding) the shoe box this time. I'm looking forward to the on-line science fair because I have a STEM project on the launch pad waiting to Blast-Off.
Old 09-03-2020, 08:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willard11 View Post
Thanks Mike(mbauer ) for the detailed explanation of how "Single Impulse" (stomp/straw) rockets work. I see in the forum and on the internet that you have a lot of experience in designing and flying them. "Single Impulse" rockets appear to be like firearms(guns) with the internal tube being the "Barrel" and the length is like the pistol or rifle barrel for range. The propellant (air bottle) tank is like the charge(gunpowder) in the bullet. The same principles could then be applied to "Single Impulse" rockets.

If this is the case, then the stomp/straw rockets can be moved from an art project to a STEM project with:

Science explaining the Physic principles

Math predicting the outcome of changes in the variables; such as length of the tube, etc.

Engineering uses the principles in design

Technology uses materials and construction techniques to build the designs

Doing this will require measurable results of the launches. Currently we are doing this using the stairs to see what step the rocket reaches. Going to the 2nd floor is achieving orbit and is the designated objective. There may be better ways to get measurable results of the launches. Mike, I will PM you for the additional information.

This is going to require more study and research than just demonstrating the principle with straws and hair spray bottles. Back when I was in Middle School(Junior High), I demonstrated this principle by tearing the end off the paper wrapping of a straw and blowing on the straw to let the paper wrapping fly. The lunch duty teacher did not see the learning value of this demonstration and I got after school detention as a result. In band class, the horn section would sharpen pencils and use their horns to blow them to stick in the ceiling. Some time later, the pencils would fall from the ceiling, usually in a different band class.

With the start of school in this time of pandemic, there is a moratorium on all stomp/straw flight activities at grandson's house. On-line schooling is challenging for all involved; teachers, students, parents and grandparents. My stomp/straw models are going back into the shoe box except for the Space Shuttle Stack model. I'm going to print it with an Ink-Jet printer, but that will be in a different thread. My wife says she is going to do a better job of storing(hiding) the shoe box this time. I'm looking forward to the on-line science fair because I have a STEM project on the launch pad waiting to Blast-Off.
Lots of ways to measure, in the download section, there are two devices to download, one has a 100ft baseline, the other has a 300ft baseline. If you make one of these, use a magnetic strip magnet for the bottom weight. Works better than the several layers of cardstocks method. Once built you can measure the height of objects, buildings, etc..

Here is a link to the 100ft one, use it to measure how high the rocket goes, by using a stopwatch, you can figure all kinds of things.
http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/v...downloadid=659

Created an experimenter package of several rockets, to test altitude, and stability.

NASA has an Educator PDF file for stomp rockets. Free download from the NASA sight. Don't have the link saved.

Called the local Borough Home School Program. Will be stopping in once they call me back, covid, have a program set up for kids 10-14 y/o for all kinds of STEM observations, problem solving, measuring.

BTW-The first question I ask when giving classes? I hold up an empty soda bottle and ask if it is "Full" or "Empty".

Mike