PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 09-13-2020, 08:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 133.91 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper Kosmonaut View Post
Off to a great start! I see you have used my recolouring for the engines and yes of course you should use a strip instead of the tab. Looks much better. I also did that myself. I just kept that tab on because it was originally part of Greelt's model.

Your result looks really good. It really would be a pity to hide it all behind aluminium foil. But, as David said, that's how they flew. I used a bead for the J2 engine. maybe it was a tad too big but it looks the part. I had to paint it and put a tiny little paper dot on the hole to seal it off. (and I built it in 1/96; I made only one when I made my 'wet orbital station' version of Skylab a hundred or so years ago.)
I still have this dream to build the Saturn V in 1/96 with Greelt's parts but I want to make it as a cut open view model so you can see the insides. And I still need to figure out how to do that.
Thank you for your kind words!

I found your F-1 recoloring really interesting, but I was not so brave to build them as your as showed in the The Lower Hudson Valley...

I have to look for the beads, I tried to search online, but as now I cannot find something wooden or paper or... brrrrrrr... plastic! (I can't believe I said that... that... word!).

The cutaway version of the Saturn V will be wonderful!
Some outer shell section could be hinged so you could open and close them, but a paper hinge will finally break.
Or maybe build something like 4D Vision models, with some transparent sections that show internal views, even though that implies to use... plastic!

What do you mean with "wet orbital station"?
Old 09-13-2020, 01:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Awesome photos so far. Looks great.

Mike
Old 09-13-2020, 02:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Hi Assetico,

Quote:
Thank you for your kind words! I found your F-1 recoloring really interesting, but I was not so brave to build them as your as showed in the The Lower Hudson Valley...
Thank you too. I admit, I got a little carried away during the build... (-; More on the F-1 I built right here on the forum.
Quote:
I have to look for the beads, I tried to search online, but as now I cannot find something wooden or paper or... brrrrrrr... plastic! (I can't believe I said that... that... word!).
There's nothing wrong with using a little plastic to enhance your model. How else would one build a fighter jet with a bubble canopy? I certainly am no 'purist', mainly because I don't like to limit myself in trying to create beautiful models. If a sheet of plastic can be helpful in creating that, I never will hesitate to use it. It just so happens to be that paper modeling has so much more variety to offer than pre-moulded plastic kits (Just look at David Hanners' X-15 bonanza) and it is way cheaper. And it doesn't stink. And it is wonderful to create a 3d object out of a flat piece of paper. As far as the beads go, if you really want to avoid plastic at all cost, you can also use glass, ceramics, or even metal. I used resin beads, I think. Ball shapes are the most impossible hard to create shapes in paper. So I use beads to get the best shapes.
Quote:
The cutaway version of the Saturn V will be wonderful!
Some outer shell section could be hinged so you could open and close them, but a paper hinge will finally break.
Or maybe build something like 4D Vision models, with some transparent sections that show internal views, even though that implies to use... plastic!
I have been working on and off on testbuilds of parts of this model with varied results. The idea is to have nice symmetrical rectangular openings in the fuselage to show the insides. No doors with hinges. It's not a toy. One should see the innards at once, while the rocket is in a glass case.
The issue that troubles me is the fact the opened side walls bulge out a lot because of the cylindrical shape. I have to solve that issue first. Sturdier paper isn't the solution. I know what will be: plastic sheets as an internal wall between the outer (white) and inner (metallic) layer of paper. But that means an extra layer of thickness in the cylinder. I don't want that. That and the amount of detailing I want to add (anti-slosh baffles, helium tanks, plumbing, etc.) is huge. It will take a lot of patience and time. Things I don't really have at the moment.
Quote:
What do you mean with "wet orbital station"?
I meant the Wet Orbital Workshop, the original idea for what would become Skylab. It was designed in 1968 and consisted of an actual used SIVb stage that would be filled with equipment while in orbit. This is the thread I did on it here on the forum, 10 years ago. (whaaaaaaaaat?!)
Old 09-14-2020, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer View Post
Awesome photos so far. Looks great.

Mike
Thank you, Mike!
Old 09-14-2020, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Hi Assetico,

Thank you too. I admit, I got a little carried away during the build... (-; More on the F-1 I built right here on the forum.
I saw that thread, some pictures helped me to understand how to correctly build the big spiral pipe and get the right alignment of the engine main parts.

Quote:
There's nothing wrong with using a little plastic to enhance your model. How else would one build a fighter jet with a bubble canopy? I certainly am no 'purist', mainly because I don't like to limit myself in trying to create beautiful models. If a sheet of plastic can be helpful in creating that, I never will hesitate to use it. It just so happens to be that paper modeling has so much more variety to offer than pre-moulded plastic kits (Just look at David Hanners' X-15 bonanza) and it is way cheaper. And it doesn't stink. And it is wonderful to create a 3d object out of a flat piece of paper. As far as the beads go, if you really want to avoid plastic at all cost, you can also use glass, ceramics, or even metal. I used resin beads, I think.
I agree with you, I was just joking about something I read in another thread, stating that if someone uses or names the term "plastic", he/she would have been banned by the forum. Of course, this also is a joke.

Quote:
Ball shapes are the most impossible hard to create shapes in paper. So I use beads to get the best shapes.
I downloaded the "Cardboard models design principles" manual from the Downloads section. There is a chapter in which it talks about paper moulding, but it implies using a mould, hence it's a complex process.

Quote:
I have been working on and off on testbuilds of parts of this model with varied results. The idea is to have nice symmetrical rectangular openings in the fuselage to show the insides. No doors with hinges. It's not a toy. One should see the innards at once, while the rocket is in a glass case.
The issue that troubles me is the fact the opened side walls bulge out a lot because of the cylindrical shape. I have to solve that issue first. Sturdier paper isn't the solution. I know what will be: plastic sheets as an internal wall between the outer (white) and inner (metallic) layer of paper. But that means an extra layer of thickness in the cylinder. I don't want that. That and the amount of detailing I want to add (anti-slosh baffles, helium tanks, plumbing, etc.) is huge. It will take a lot of patience and time. Things I don't really have at the moment.
I see the point. It's an incredibly ambitious project, I looking forward to see it!

Quote:
I meant the Wet Orbital Workshop, the original idea for what would become Skylab. It was designed in 1968 and consisted of an actual used SIVb stage that would be filled with equipment while in orbit. This is the thread I did on it here on the forum, 10 years ago. (whaaaaaaaaat?!)
W-O-W!
Old 10-27-2020, 06:12 AM

Instrument Unit

A little progress on the Saturn V stack, this time it's up to the Instrumental Unit.

Indeed this building will not be mounted together will all the other parts, because the model is built in order to show the internals. But it's also possible to use just the outer pattern and glue it onto the third stage. I will think about it.

As you can see, the circle is not perfect, there is a slight deformation and there are some fingerprints: this is the first time I built a model printed with a inkjet printer, so I learned that is very important to use latex gloves, especially with sweaty hands!

The patterns are printed onto 240 gsm paper, while the filler is made of 200 gsm paper strips. Remember to color a sufficiently wide area around the border with a black felt tip pen, otherwise some white area can spot the black background.
Attached Thumbnails
Yet another Greelt's Saturn V 1:48 build-iu-1.jpg   Yet another Greelt's Saturn V 1:48 build-iu-2.jpg  
Old 10-27-2020, 08:11 AM

Lem

Another part that will not belong to the stack.
I started the building some weeks ago, but I completed it just some days ago, due to a family event.

Probably, the alignment of the two forward RCS and the S-band antenna is wrong, but anyway the overall look is quite acceptable.
Attached Thumbnails
Yet another Greelt's Saturn V 1:48 build-lem-1.jpg   Yet another Greelt's Saturn V 1:48 build-lem-2.jpg   Yet another Greelt's Saturn V 1:48 build-lem-3.jpg  
Old 10-27-2020, 11:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 70.75 MB
Send a message via MSN to Lex
Keep it coming! It is always a pleasure to see Greelt's Saturn getting built, you have done a terrific job at that so far
Old 10-27-2020, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex View Post
Keep it coming! It is always a pleasure to see Greelt's Saturn getting built, you have done a terrific job at that so far
Really thanks for the kind words!

But I want to be sincere, I'm not so expert and there are some defects in the buildings; I have deliberately take pictures without show some details revealing errors and inaccuracies. My house is small and I haven't a place to dedicate exclusively to the models, so I try to make do (I hope not for much longer!).
Old 10-30-2020, 04:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 43.01 MB
Extremely well done, Asettico. Your build is very clean, and impressive. Thank you for posting your progress pictures.

Bravo from Texas!!
Google Adsense

Tags
1:48, greelt, saturn v