PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 01-18-2021, 06:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Yogi's paper model heritage- let's save them here.

Hi friends.
Since John Jogerst's untimely passing and Ecardmodels restart, there are lots of models missing from the space catalogue. The X-37b comes to mind, the Atlas V, the Falcon 9 in its first short-lived pre-octaweb appearance, The Mars rovers Sojourner, Spirit/Oppy and Curiosity with cruise stage and Sky Crane, a dozen of satellites and space probes, as well as the bunch of nice stomp rockets John used to make with children in community centers to launch them together after finishing.
Some are hosted at Jon Leslie's Lower Hudson site, some are hosted on 'our' archive here. But many now are gone. Is it an idea to look in our catalogues and assemble all John's models here?
I personally feel it would be a nice way to remember John and the things he did for our community. And it would be a pity to let his models fade into oblivion.
Any suggestions? Admins?
Old 01-19-2021, 11:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 313.46 MB
Since I kinda planted the seeds of this discussion, I feel like I should also chime in. I really appreciate that you've brought this up PK. It is a challenging topic for sure. I mean, looking into the thoughts of an artist and friend and guessing their intentions. Hoping that we do right by them in honoring memories and celebrating their work. That can't be done in a vacuum.

I have no "plan" for my designs. Their free on-line here and elsewhere, and I hope they'll stay as long as people find them useful and interesting. Since it cost me nothing to have Rick build this forum and host my models, I don't expect I have much to say when it comes to whether he continues to share them, or even if others share them via email decades from now.

- As long as Alice doesn't download, rebrand, and sell something I intended to be free. -

But, I don't have anything that people had to "buy." I suspect that's a different matter that separates some of Yogi's and other's work. I'm not smart enough to know how to cross that line appropriately.
Old 01-19-2021, 01:50 PM

I know we already host a lot of his models here, but his Atlas 400 and 500 launchers are missing (and are quite good) as well as the Taurus/Antares with Cygnus and his X-37B OTV. I also couldn't find his JUNO space probe model here and the Sky Crane and MSL Cruise Stage. Then there must be some more bits and bobs here and there, some satellites and probes.

I would like to bring them over here. But I don't know how the opinions are.
Old 01-19-2021, 09:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
I like this idea, however, models are copyrighted. Did John copyright them?

If so his legal heir might have something to say about this.

Now on the other hand: I really like this idea, it would be awesome to attach them to the thread he did that announced the latest project he was working on.

John helped me with the stomp rockets. At first my launch system was a paper bellows. He saw what I was doing and shared the soda bottle launcher system. I shared my rockets with him, he liked my internal PSI tube idea.

John was about education. Hoping that possibly he might have given his model designs to the Air Force Education programs he was always taking to schools.

We shared a few emails back and forth about design issues. Projects and general stuff. I was shocked to learn he had passed. It had been awhile since our last conversations.

Mike
Old 01-20-2021, 02:30 AM

Indeed Mike,
John was about education. He had lots of workshops with school children and kids in community centers with his stomp rockets and creative sessions with paper. He donated lots of his models to local libraries and ediucation centers. If you look in the download section here, there are lots of models made by John (Retired_for_now). I think it would be best to add them there for easier access.

If we need his heirs to give permission to get the rest of his models over here, then I guess someone should try and contact them. I think that will be more concenient for someone living in the US, since I am living in the Netherlands and I do not have easy access to obtaining such information.

John was a moderator here, so I guess maybe the admins could be of some assistance here.
Old 01-20-2021, 10:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
Obviously I can’t divine what his wishes would have been but I talked to him a lot as we designed and tested model builds. I would say as the models aren’t sold for profit it would be no different than when he was posting them himself.

That being said, I THINK that I have some of these models archived. Let me dig in my stash later and find out. There were a couple of his models that I did some redesigns on, and I built many of the prototypes while he was tweaking designs. In fact, one of my pictures of my Pathfinder lander build is used on all the illegal eBay and Alice sites. ��

If the mods are okay with it, I can upload anything that’s missing. All his models were given freely with the caveat that they were to be used for personal or education use only and not to be sold.
Old 01-20-2021, 11:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.67 GB
Ditto ... I think I have the Juno probe , and the first version of his Antares , I think it was called Taurus 5 before the change and a couple of others ... I would love to donate if ok ...
Old 01-21-2021, 06:28 AM

I also have JUNO, Antares, Atlas 400 and 500, the X-37b and the MSL Cruise stage, Curiosity and sky crane.
So if there still are models missing, I also can contribute.
Old 01-21-2021, 06:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.67 GB
I know he was a moderator here , but can anyone get a hold of his wife .. Maybe through the educational resources he had made Ie ( libraries, youth group contacts. Etc ) just a thought
Old 11-28-2021, 11:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.03 GB
I know its been quite some time with no posts here. Is there any further development on this? I'd love to see a repository of Yogi's work come to pass before everything gets forgotten, lost or disbursed. Many of his models - satellites especially, are the only examples of their kind. Is there anything I can do to help?
Google Adsense