PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 12-31-2021, 07:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.29 MB
Wrapping spheres with flat paper
[PDF] Wrapping spheres with flat paper | Semantic Scholar

A somewhat mathematical approach.
Old 12-31-2021, 08:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 56.00 MB
Couple of other options

A icosahedron, dodecahedron or rosette (see fig. 1) form can be folded into a convincing spherical form. Even moreso if used with a dapping (or doming) block and punch (see fig. 2). The dapping set can be used with both pedal-formed and ring-formed spheres, and is particularly effective in creating spherical shapes from quilling strips.
Also, nothing says you MUST use paper. Plastic, plaster and wood shapes can also be used as appropriate (just not a elegant as a well formed paper sphere, but still...)

Charles Schenfeld
Attached Thumbnails
How to make spherical shapes?(I'm new)-rosette-sphere.png   How to make spherical shapes?(I'm new)-dapping-block-set.jpg  
Old 12-31-2021, 09:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback920 View Post
A icosahedron, dodecahedron or rosette (see fig. 1) form can be folded into a convincing spherical form. Even moreso if used with a dapping (or doming) block and punch (see fig. 2). The dapping set can be used with both pedal-formed and ring-formed spheres, and is particularly effective in creating spherical shapes from quilling strips.
Also, nothing says you MUST use paper. Plastic, plaster and wood shapes can also be used as appropriate (just not a elegant as a well formed paper sphere, but still...)

Charles Schenfeld
Thank you so much for posting this! I'd never heard of these tools before. I've got to get them and they're not even expensive!

One way of making spheres out of paper is to use a "sphere development". This is what's used for globes. I've attached a PDF file with some examples of spheres and domes in a few different sizes.

I've found that sewing them together works better than gluing and avoids sticky fingers. The markings are for stitches. However, they can be glued instead, if desired.

I've also found that making caps for the ends work better than when the models come to a point, but I haven't gotten around to adding these to the plans, which are a work in progress. Another thing is that the more strips one uses, the better the result. Haven't gotten around to doing this, either.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf sphrdoms.pdf (106.9 KB, 25 views)
Old 12-31-2021, 09:52 PM

These are the sources.
Attached Files
File Type: txt sphrdoms.txt (17.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: txt sphrdoms_ldf.txt (5.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: txt sphrdoms_lmc.txt (18.9 KB, 3 views)
Old 01-01-2022, 04:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.91 GB
Template maker

Happy New Year one and all.

Just to add to this thread, I found a handy site for making your own geometric shapes and this includes spheres. They are scalable and very easily adjustable to suit your requirements.

Sphere ✂ Templatemaker ︎

All the best gang.
Old 01-04-2022, 03:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 133.91 MB
Thank you for the reference, it's an interesting site.
Old 01-17-2022, 10:54 PM

One method I've used in the past is to layout the first petal of the rosette in CAD made up of six flat panels after getting the length and width of each segment. And then mirroring the petal on one of the edges coming out of the top panel. Keep mirroring until you get the total number of petals. Assembly isn't too bad with bigger spheres. Not a technique for small ones. Mostly used it for hemispheres or half of an ellipsis. The bottom edges can have a rectangular panel that mates to a cylinder. This bottom edge allows you to get a nice cylinder to mate with the other part. I should get back into this stuff. Similiar yo the link above
Old 02-18-2022, 11:15 PM

I have now tried making papier-mâché domes and "craters" with dapping tools and plaster molds and it worked well, in my opinion (see photos).

I've posted about this in detail on another thread, so I won't repeat it all here. See Casting for more information.

The craters worked well with both ordinary modelling plaster and alabaster plaster molds. However, only the dome I made with an alabaster plaster mold worked. With the others, the papier-mâché stuck tightly to the mold and will have to be chiselled out. In the dome in the photos, there is a small hole, which, however, can be easily patched.
Attached Thumbnails
How to make spherical shapes?(I'm new)-sscf0009.jpg   How to make spherical shapes?(I'm new)-sscf0010.jpg   How to make spherical shapes?(I'm new)-sscf0011.jpg   How to make spherical shapes?(I'm new)-uscf0002.jpg   How to make spherical shapes?(I'm new)-uscf0003.jpg