PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 03-19-2021, 10:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
How to make spherical shapes?(I'm new)

Hi, I'm Ethan. I am new to forum and hobby. I am interested in space rockets and other similar vehicles. But I will never become an astronaut. Therefore, I want to figure out how to make models. I would like to make some real-life space tug or service satellite. The only disadvantage (for a beginner) is that it has many spherical shapes.
I've already made a Sentinel 6b model. But it looks more like a house than a spacecraft.
Google Adsense
Old 03-19-2021, 10:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 313.46 MB
Hi Ethan, there are a few methods for you to try. You could make cones of ever reducing shape or pedals to come together. Hang on, a few examples will be helpful.

The first is SpaceX's Dragon Capsule by AXM and the second is Ariane 1 by Neils Paper Models. The Ariane is the pedal design and I used a 1/16th Teaspoon measure to press the shape into a rounded form.

Hope that helps!
Attached Thumbnails
How to make spherical shapes?(I'm new)-img_1672-1-.jpg   How to make spherical shapes?(I'm new)-img_1674-1-.jpg  
Old 03-19-2021, 11:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.91 GB
Hi Ethan,

Check out this site Space flight paper modelling by Leo Cherkashyn, in particular the Vostok capsule. It gives detailed instructions for creating the spherical capsule.
Old 03-19-2021, 12:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Ring or Petal, are your two options for "spherical" shapes.
These are the two most common methods of creating compound curved shapes.

Since paper can not/will not bend in two directions (compound curving),
you must resort to more sections/more seams to build up a curved panel or shape.

Biggest lesson to learn is all about pre-forming/pre-shaping parts before you try to glue things together.
If a part will hold its shape without gluing, it will assemble better and easier with better looking results.

Thats my two cents.

Last edited by airdave; 03-19-2021 at 12:50 PM.
Old 03-19-2021, 01:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Or papier mache squished into a form. But I wouldn't recommend it.

I actually saw it done well on a Sci Fi build once. The guy saw a plastic bubble in a gumball machine that looked the right size, so he tried it. Done well, but even he wouldn't recommend it
Google Adsense
Old 03-19-2021, 08:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 401.65 MB
There's actually one more method you can try for small hemi/spheres that's relatively easy, which borrows from rolled paper beads. Japanese designers of 3D papercraft catapult gliders often use variations of these to form noses or spinners which also add weight to the front of the plane. You do have to edge color or print the part on colored paper, and depending on the paper thickness you may see a stepped curve.

For template patterns do a search of spherical papercraft beads, or search for Iwatsuki paper plane club or Ojimak.
Old 03-20-2021, 08:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.67 GB
Another great tip but a little messy , is to go over your parts on the opposite side with one small layer of glue stick .. Your parts don’t bend or leave seams when rolling or bending with creases ..
Old 03-21-2021, 04:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
... Or you cheat and glue an enormous pile of paper together and put it on a lathe....
Which is also not recommendable anbd very elaborate. (-;
Old 03-21-2021, 10:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thanx

Great tips, thanks. Found a lot of useful information on your tips. I will try to do it.
I think it will take quite a long time. Here you can see space tug I want to make
Old 04-18-2021, 08:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.03 GB
I struggled with petals for years. Then I found a way to pre-form them before gluing. I roll the petals on something soft - i use a piece from dense foam floor mat using a roller with a rounded tip- In my case the handle of a small paint brush. This gives a gentle compound curve to the petals. When done, the petals will fit together smoothly with no glue. Then i glue from the inside and very gently roll the petals again.
Also, depending on the size, one could glue a small bead or foam ball into the very tip of the cone.
Learning to preform parts and getting a Japanese NT C-1500 circle cutter were my biggest breakthroughs in paper modelling.
Google Adsense