PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 08-18-2009, 01:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Ranger Space Probe - block III BUILD 1:12

This is a 1:12 build of a nifty little model available in the forum download area.

The model is the Ranger Space Probe - block III Lunar Impactor.
Designed by Retired_for_now, it is a simple model that captures the probe very nicely. I've been looking forward to this build for a few weeks now.

The link to the download page for this model is:
PaperModelers.com - Downloads - Ranger Space Probe - block III 1:48 and 1:24

I imported the 1:24 scale version into Adobe Illustrator and scaled up to 1:12.
The graphics and details were simple so I spiffed them up with some color and rivets using some Ranger photos for reference.

I love the simplicity of the pieces so I left those alone for the most part. What I did do to them was work the arcs so there was no guesswork as to where to trim and join them.

I used an Avery glue stick on the tab of the main cone. For this cardstock it works great. It holds while you adjust the part, then can be burnished down for a solid hold.
On the camera, I doubled up the thickness, then glued up some foil to the parts that looked mirrored for a little detail. I also cut the part differently than the instructions, good or bad move, I am happy with it. I glued this into place. A little tape helped hold in position while gluing.
Inside the main body I added two inner support rings. These stiffen the cone and help keep the cone (perfectly?) round. Also used one support in the smaller, upper cone.
Build up/complete top section. Finished main body.
It builds up easily and neatly.

Sorry a couple of shots are blurry. More tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Ranger Space Probe - block III BUILD 1:12-1-cone-flat.jpg   Ranger Space Probe - block III BUILD 1:12-2-cone-glue.jpg   Ranger Space Probe - block III BUILD 1:12-3-camera-doubled.jpg   Ranger Space Probe - block III BUILD 1:12-4-camera-finished.jpg   Ranger Space Probe - block III BUILD 1:12-5-cone-top.jpg  

Ranger Space Probe - block III BUILD 1:12-6-cone-bottom.jpg   Ranger Space Probe - block III BUILD 1:12-7-3-top-pieces.jpg   Ranger Space Probe - block III BUILD 1:12-8-3-parts-built.jpg   Ranger Space Probe - block III BUILD 1:12-9-final.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 08-18-2009, 02:39 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Whoa! Awesome job detailing and tweaking a very basic model. Your alteration of the camera window results in a more realistic setback of the mirror opening. As designed, it merely provides a flat spot on the conic.

Can't wait to see what you can do with the lower bus.

Yogi
Old 08-18-2009, 03:15 PM

Thanks, Yogi. It's a fine model you designed. Would be good in a classroom. Again, it really captures the probe but is easy to build.

I colored the lower bus using the Ranger photo for reference. Ads a little detail while keeping with the original parts.
When completed, A couple of coats of high-gloss coating should help give it a super-shiny, highlighted look.

The part I'm thinking hard on is the antenna. It looks like the prototype is made up of an open framework - nothing between the rings.
I have some ideas for dealing with it:
Laminate with clear film to add strength
Harden with CA glue
Use thin, clear acetate that would be somewhat invisible

I want to use card for it as I like the "purist" approach as much as possible.
The reference photo I used most and a screenshot showing some of the lower bus is below.
Attached Thumbnails
Ranger Space Probe - block III BUILD 1:12-rangerspacecraft.jpg   Ranger Space Probe - block III BUILD 1:12-bus-screenshot.jpg  
Old 08-18-2009, 09:06 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Beautiful work.

The antenna appears to be a fairly coarse mesh in all photos and other reference docs I've seen. You'd need to add a "cross-hatching" or similar pattern to the orginal graphic to get a mesh effect. If you print it on clear acetate intended for slides you should get the effect you're looking for and still have a robust part. Similar to the NASA/JPL Galileo model. You've got to have something for the reflector - spacing of the few ribs obvious on the dish is too wide for radio waves, so must have a mesh filling the dish.

Actually getting out the mesh in paper (laminated or stiffened) should work but will result in a very delicate part.

Yogi

Ranger Space Probe - block III BUILD 1:12-ranger-7_nasm_rk2008_1.jpg
Note how it looks a bit darker inside the antenna rings ... Google image search for [Ranger moon] should turn up several more.

Last edited by Retired_for_now; 08-18-2009 at 09:18 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
This is one of those models waiting for me on the workbench... work is consuming more of my time lately. You're doing a great job with it jagolden.
Google Adsense
Old 08-19-2009, 03:38 AM

Good news about the fine mesh. I've seen it on antennae for some probes but couldn't make it out on the ranger photos.

In this case, I can use some of that fine, open mesh fabric people use to use at wedding to wrap a couple of almonds in. Not sure if you'll know what I mean by this.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Another possibility for the antenna mesh is the stuff you find in disposable paint filter cones you can buy at the hardware store. They're paper cones, but at the apex of the cone, they have a cut-out with a mesh glued in. Just cut open the cone and cut out the mesh.

I used the mesh when I made a High-Gain Antenna for an Apollo 7 build. Unfortunately, I got the thing built and then my research determined that Apollo 7 didn't carry an HGA. So I have a spare antenna sitting around....
Attached Thumbnails
Ranger Space Probe - block III BUILD 1:12-antenna.jpg  
Old 08-19-2009, 07:36 AM

And oh -- I need to add that you've got a FINE-looking build so far. I've printed that one out and added it to my GBIS (Gotta Build It Someday) pile. I remember the Ranger probes from my youth.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanners View Post
And oh -- I need to add that you've got a FINE-looking build so far. I've printed that one out and added it to my GBIS (Gotta Build It Someday) pile. I remember the Ranger probes from my youth.
dhanners, thanks for the kudos and suggestion for the mesh.
Your high-gain came of very nice. What scale? It looks small but detailed!
Old 08-19-2009, 08:27 AM

The HGA was to go with Surfduke's 1/32nd-scale Apollo CSM. I built it soon after Wally Schirra died and my plan was to do Apollo 7 and do it up right -- with fully detailed HGA, EVA handles, docking collar, docking probe, etc. -- and then I got into the research and discovered/remembered that Apollo 7 had none of that stuff. (It did have a single handle on the hatch, though.) A photo is below, and I should note that the RCS nozzles have since been rendered in silver, so they're not the incorrect gold anymore. I just haven't gotten around to shooting photos of it.

I may still build all that stuff on an Apollo 11 CSM, but that's down the road.

The mesh looks a bit tight in 1/32nd scale, but I would think for Ranger's antenna in 1/12th, it could look ok. I liked it because the paint filter cones cost about 10 cents each or so. The filter area isn't huge, but I didn't need a huge expanse of mesh for each of the four dishes. You could do the Ranger antenna in pie slices, though.

But keep the photos of the Ranger build coming. It's off to a great start!
Attached Thumbnails
Ranger Space Probe - block III BUILD 1:12-a7.jpg  
Google Adsense