PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 09-19-2021, 07:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 313.46 MB
XMM-Newton and Arian V

Today I bring you the XMM-Newton X-ray telescope launched in 1999 with mission extensions that currently have it in operation through 2022. The model was designed by Thorston Brand in 1/48th scale.

The build came together smartly with good instructions and design. I used piano wire for the internal supports of the solar arrays, sandwiching the front and back of the panels around the pre-shaped wire.
Attached Thumbnails
XMM-Newton and Arian V-img_1934.jpg   XMM-Newton and Arian V-img_1927.jpg   XMM-Newton and Arian V-img_1928.jpg   XMM-Newton and Arian V-img_1929.jpg   XMM-Newton and Arian V-img_1930.jpg  

XMM-Newton and Arian V-img_1931.jpg   XMM-Newton and Arian V-img_1932.jpg   XMM-Newton and Arian V-img_1935.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 09-19-2021, 08:07 AM

Included in this project is AXM's Ariane V G119 / 504. Another fine example of his skill in shaping and planning the representations of this rocket. I rescaled the kit to 1/144 which necessitated a few adjustments especially in the struts that hold the massive boosters. I was very pleased with the results of wrapping a few of the engine parts with some silver "wrapping" paper foil. I used a glue stick to back the wrap onto the part which I hope you'll agree had a good result. Perhaps the model would look better had I substituted evergreen plastic rod for the external plumbing bits, but I'm happy with this first result.

For fun I included Niels Jahn Knudsen's Ariane 1 in the same scale (another great kit).
Attached Thumbnails
XMM-Newton and Arian V-img_1937.jpg   XMM-Newton and Arian V-img_1938.jpg   XMM-Newton and Arian V-img_1939.jpg   XMM-Newton and Arian V-img_1940.jpg   XMM-Newton and Arian V-img_1942.jpg  

XMM-Newton and Arian V-img_1943.jpg   XMM-Newton and Arian V-img_1946.jpg   XMM-Newton and Arian V-img_1945.jpg  
Old 09-25-2021, 01:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 697.07 MB
That's a pretty cool set with the satellite and the rocket that carried it. Nice clean work as well!
Old 09-25-2021, 02:30 PM

Thanks Rambler. I like the combo too and got lucky that an example of the Ariane livery was modeled for us.
Old 09-26-2021, 01:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Nice build! Especially the Newton looks fantastic.

Scalewise, both Arianes you have here are not exactly the same. Ariane 1 was not that much taller compared to the Ariane 5G. I presume one is 1/100 and the other 1/96. But who cares. They're really nice builds!

Old 09-26-2021, 03:02 PM

Thanks PK, true that comparing different designers is a tough thing - and I'm no expert builder at that. The original scales for both is stated as 1/96 and I rescaled in my print to 1/144 which adds even more elements of error. Horseshoes and model building