PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 10-21-2010, 08:30 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Very nice, Yogi.
I need to do the same project for my planetarium, though I need to be secret in my plans.
It's a bit of work but no more difficult than any other model. Should be enough info in the thread to answer any questions for the really big ISS. It has some detailing - but it was also designed for stand-off viewing. I think there might be more detail on the 4-foot version (a bit of fiddling as I was redoing some parts) but not much. Crib or change anything you want, or let me know if you need anything. Only quirk so far is the solar panels - they need something to keep them straight-ish.

Looking forward to seeing your creation (figure at least a couple of months).

Yogi
Old 10-22-2010, 12:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 24.44 MB
Thanks for your support, and all the work you've already done with your build and this thread. This will be a major resource for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired_for_now View Post
Looking forward to seeing your creation (figure at least a couple of months).

Yogi
Well...as our display is a personal peeve of mine, and I don't have authority or support in replacing it, this project will have to remain covert. I will start working on modules and components soon(ish). With other work load responsibilities and Mr. Mom duties while the wife is at work, this will be a piece-meal project.

I will absolutely post my progress and consult the expertise you and so many others in this forum have to offer.

Thank you
Old 10-22-2010, 04:02 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
this will be a piece-meal project.
Just like the actual ISS assembly ...

Yogi
Old 11-03-2010, 06:56 PM
Eternal Member

Lots of downloads of both the BIG and 4-foot ISS - anybody made any progress? Comments or better ideas?

Currently building another set of stations (Salyut - Skylab - Mir - ISS - Bigelow) for the planetarium. All in two-foot ISS scale. Trying to learn something from our resident "dioramists" to come up with a better, combined display ...

Yogi
Old 11-04-2010, 02:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
That makes me curious. (-;
Google Adsense
Old 11-04-2010, 01:23 PM

In a couple weeks I'll be visiting schools in southern Utah and spending 4 nights in a hotel. I should have some spare time to work on at least a few components, practice builds for my ambitious 1:39 ISS. My plan is to incorporate elements of your 8 ft model and some scaled up components of AXM's 1:100 ISS.I'm going to experiment with a smaller scale first and work up. I also expect to do some scratch building and greebling along the way. I might start a new thread with photos of the whole development.

Thank you Yogi and AXM for your fine designs. You've inspired a monster.:D
Old 11-05-2010, 10:43 AM
Eternal Member

Now that's a plan, Daedalus. Likely best built a bit at a time with time allowed for fiddling.
The hard parts for me were rescaling/building extras and rigging a display mount. The PVC armature I used is designed for an overhead hanger - overhead suspension points equalize and distribute the weight to keep things straight. A floor stand would probably need posts at the ends of the truss, under the Z0 truss/Unity node, and at the aft (Zvezda/Progress) end. Depending on how it balances, might need another post under the fore node (Harmony). Even then, you might get a little sag from the PVC - sch80 is stiffer but much heavier. Might work for a floor stand but I wouldn't want to hang sch80 pipe.

Love to see a thread of your design/build!

Yogi
Old 11-05-2010, 07:19 PM

I'm certainly going to rely a lot on your information and support.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 60.55 MB
Looks great, I think Thorsts shuttle would look great docked to the station... Ive seen your thread before I remember now, Didnt realize youd gotten this far with it. Very nice work...