PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 01-08-2010, 09:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
Finished! I didn't notice any fit issues at all, so unless you found something you want to change, I would proclaim this a finished kit.
I'm on to the next one now, which I hope to start a build thread on by tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe - In the beginning...-dsc00200.jpg  
Old 01-08-2010, 07:48 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Outstanding work J! I think I got as much satisfaction from seeing your build as from completing the prototype - maybe more. Looking forward to your build thread.

Working odds-n-ends right now, so taking suggestions on the next significant but un-modelled probe.

Yogi

BTW: this is the effect I was going for...

Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe - In the beginning...-wmap_spacecraft_diagram.jpg

Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe - In the beginning...-wmapdeployed.jpg

Last edited by Retired_for_now; 01-08-2010 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Added "real" spacecraft pictures
Old 01-19-2010, 12:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired_for_now View Post
...taking suggestions on the next significant but un-modelled probe.
How about this one?

Launched in 1978 as the International Sun-Earth Explorer 3 (ISEE-3) for studies of Earth's magnetic field and solar wind interaction, it was repurposed as the International Cometary Explorer (ICE) in 1982 and studied Comets Giacobini-Zinner and Halley. It was abandoned eventually in 1997, but apparently someone didn't turn it off and contact was reestablished with the probe in September 2008. It was waiting for instructions, even after 30 years in space. All but one of its instruments are functional, and it still has propellant left. There is talk of sending it out to chase another comet in 2017 or so.
Interestingly enough, there was the possibility of recovering it in 2014. It's already been donated to the Smithsonian if we get it back, although that would be in the 2040s if it gets used again. :D
About all the reference material I could find is a few photos and line drawings. Maybe someone has more information than I do...?
International Cometary Explorer pictures by jparenti - Photobucket

Last edited by jparenti; 01-19-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:42 PM
Eternal Member

Hmnnn - very good story with this one. Inner can, outer cylinder (OK - 16 sides ...), but boy, you sure do like your greebles.

Deep Space One is in similar "storage." Solar powered ion drive with 10% of its reaction mass remaining. But, they intentially left DS1's radio on.

Yogi
Old 07-25-2010, 04:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 149.80 MB
did the Goddard team ever post your wmap or cobe models?

Chris
Google Adsense
Old 07-26-2010, 10:34 AM
Eternal Member

Thanks for the reminder, Chris. Been a while since I've heard from them. They have the completed packages (even included instructions).

I guess I'll call times up on the Lambda folks and see if Lower Hudson Valley has room on the disks to host COBE and WMAP.

Yogi (just filling in the blanks ...)
Old 07-27-2010, 05:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 149.80 MB
welcome Yogi. I really enjoy building your models. I'm working on my first scratch build model of NASA'S ACRIMSAT. still working out some of the details because I could not find any scale drawings so Im just working off the artists picture and the drawing in the press kit.

Chris

Last edited by lunger1; 07-27-2010 at 05:44 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 07-27-2010, 06:50 PM
Eternal Member

Looking forward to your results, Chris. You can resize the pictures to scale on your drawing palette and draw right over them to make parts - probably ends up as accurate as any spacecraft drawing you could FOIA (they're always tweaking something right up to launch it seems).
Post your build or even the kit?
Yogi
Old 08-13-2010, 05:31 PM
Eternal Member

WMAP Posted - Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe

WMAP is posted and available for download in 1:24 and 1:48 scales at the Lower Hudson Valley Challenger Center (jleslie48.com). Take the time to make a donation on the home page if you can.

Yogi

Tags
space, space probe, telescope, wmap