PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 01-06-2010, 04:46 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe - In the beginning...

Continuing my obsession with significant, but un-modelled, space probes I've started on the Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe (WMAP).

In 1965, Penzias and Wilson (later awarded the Nobel Prize) discovered the cosmic microwave background radiation (CMB) while trying to find out why they were getting constant interference in their microwave receiver. The CMB is a constant radio "hiss" visible from earth in all directions. The signal is the remnant of the "first light" of the universe. It dates from a time when matter condensed from the initial particle "soup," allowing light to travel freely for the first time. The existence of the CMB is strong evidence for a hot, dense origin of the universe and its subsequent expansion. The WMAP satellite has been hovering at the Earth-Sun L2 libration point (outside Earth's orbit) since 2001 observing the CMB. WMAP is looking at the intensity, spectrum and polarization of the CMB to allow competing theories of creation (Big Bang, higher-dimensional brane collisions, multiple episodes of vacuum inflation, etc.) to be evaluated.

WMAP is a more sensitive and precise follow-on to the pioneering observations of the cosmic background explorer (COBE) that first detected unevenness in the CMB. This unevenness (anisotropy) provided the seeds for the formation of the macro-structure of the universe (galaxies and galactic clusters).

The spacecraft is composed of fairly simple shapes - but a fair number of them as the electronics boxes are mounted external to the central column of the spacecraft bus. The shade, which blocks radiation from the earth, moon, and sun is the dominant feature. It's a two sided disk with additional copies of the solar panels glued over the graphics to provide some 3-D.
Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe - In the beginning...-a2.jpg

The lower deck glues over thick card on top of the shade to provide thickness.
Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe - In the beginning...-a1.jpg
Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe - In the beginning...-a3.jpg

Then, the central hexagonal bus column is glued up and attached to the center of the lower deck. The black part on the bottom of the shade (battery cable run-to be used later) and the three little circles are parts that wandered into the picture.
Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe - In the beginning...-a12.jpg

Keeping the bays in alignment is a constant task with all the two-sided parts.

Yogi

Last edited by Retired_for_now; 01-07-2010 at 06:20 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 01-06-2010, 04:59 PM
Eternal Member

Little boxes - and more little boxes

It's time to make the little bits now that we have a basic structure to attach them to. The electronics boxes are folded up and glued - I modelled them as open boxes to avoid another folding step as well as the dreaded out-of-square that results from the overlap of the final seam. At this scale, edge gluing the boxes in place is plenty strong.
Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe - In the beginning...-a13a.jpg

The momentum wheels and brackets are likewise assembled with printed faces sandwiching thicker card.
Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe - In the beginning...-a13b.jpg

With a sufficient supply of bits, it's time to glue them in place. I provided outlines on the bus column to aid in positioning the parts.
Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe - In the beginning...-a14a.jpg

The struts that connect the upper and lower decks were a challenge. At 1:24 they should be modelled as thin cylinders with a fitting to provide the correct angles at the top junction. At 1:48 they are simple card outlines. The long leg glues to the lower deck at the base of the central column, then the remaining legs are glued to the outer edge of the deck. If I got the lengths correct, the top of the strut tripods will be even with the top of the bus column.
Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe - In the beginning...-a15.jpg

Yogi
Old 01-07-2010, 04:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
I'm getting there myself. So far, keeping everything aligned properly seems pretty simple. I'm in the middle of populating the central bus column now. I'm happy to report that I haven't seen any fit problems at all so far.
EDIT: I tried to show a picture of my progress, but the system keeps kicking me out. I'll try it again later. By then I should have even more built anyway.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:41 AM
Eternal Member

Laying deck

Outstanding J - always good to have some feedback on my sometimes obscure design/build process.

With the struts in place, the battery cable run goes in with two bends to make the turn under the strut, then to the edge of the top deck.

Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe - In the beginning...-a17.jpg
Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe - In the beginning...-a18.jpg

The top deck has a few bits attached to the underside - another alignment challenge to keep my head straight as I flip things over. The star tracker on the underside of the top deck goes in bay 6 (hopefully marked correctly).

Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe - In the beginning...-a14b.jpg

The moment of truth - fortunately paper is flexible enough to take up .5-1mm gaps (not that I would ever tolerate such - HAH). A drop of glue on the top of each strut tripod and the top of the bus and ...

Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe - In the beginning...-a18b.jpg
Also watching the alignment so the star tracker mounted to the underside of the bus ends up in bay 6 with the black battery box.

Now for the business end. WMAP has two large oval microwave reflector sets that scan the sky at high resolution and focus down on four sets of waveguides leading to the instruments.

The structure on the satellite is an insulation covered truss. On the model, an outer support structure (insulation) and an inner truss-box. The support structure is a somewhat flimsy part until assembled. It's an irregular "canoe" with two sides and a connecting bottom. The end of the bottom needs to be pre-folded to make the attachment lip for the secondary reflector, then the rest of the bottom is curved/glued in place.

Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe - In the beginning...-a4.jpg

With the two supports done, the inner box is slipped halfway into one and glued in place. The thermal shield/radiator will be mounted next, before adding the second support structure.

Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe - In the beginning...-a5.jpg

Yogi
Old 01-07-2010, 06:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Great stuff Yogi.

I feel compelled to tell you your space science projects always spark a special fondness in me, having grown up around such things in the '60's and '70's. My dad is a retired aerospace engineer with Hughes Aircraft (Space and Com group), and I remember many a "Summer Vacation" to the Cape as a kid, since dad had to participate in launches of Hughes vehicles (he was Sr. Test Engineer on "Surveyor"). Saw a lot of launches in those days.

Mike
Old 01-07-2010, 07:32 AM

Good to see more build pics -- I know I'm at least on the right track.
I've got the support struts in place myself and all three reaction wheel assemblies in place now, but this was where I was a short while ago.
And I think my fancy camera has a resolution too high to post the pictures. I'm working on it. :o
Old 01-07-2010, 02:19 PM

Here we go

Progress so far:
Attached Thumbnails
Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe - In the beginning...-dsc00197.jpg   Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe - In the beginning...-dsc00196.jpg  
Old 01-07-2010, 02:58 PM
Eternal Member

A little radiation shielding

Thanks for the words, Mike (I'm still not worthy, O master-modeller).

Looks great J! You are the puzzle-miester.

The thermal shield/radiator goes on next - I glued two extra layers of the card stock (not thick card) together to thicken and stiffen the part. Getting the thickness with layers makes a heavy part, but was easier than trying to fold up a very shallow box. The shield/radiator is notched to fit over the inner truss and the arms of the antenna supports are glued on to the vertical face (parallel and straight).

Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe - In the beginning...-a6.jpg

The other reflector support then slips over the inner truss and is glued to the truss and to the radiator. There is an omni antenna at the top of the assembly, modelled here with graphics on four overlapping tabs. The tabs all get glued on top of one another providing a base for the omni antenna and flexing the vertical supports together.

Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe - In the beginning...-a7.jpg

The actual reflectors are shallow, oval conics. The primary reflector attaches to the top third of the support arms which are curved to mate with the reflector (the bottom floats or can be attached with a small spot of glue at the bottom edge of the reflector). I gave up trying to capture the entire curvature - this is one of those tasks requiring CAD software.

Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe - In the beginning...-a9.jpg

The secondary reflector is glued to the forward lip of the support structure (that's why it was folded in when the support structure was built up) and with a small spot of glue on the very bottom edge of the reflector.

Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe - In the beginning...-a10.jpg

The remaining task is to fold and glue up the optical table underneath the reflector assembly and attach four small struts to the radiator.

Yogi

Last edited by Retired_for_now; 01-07-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:21 PM
Eternal Member

Stacked

With the reciever head and bus complete, all that remains is to connect them with a short cylinder, tabbed on each end for gluing.

Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe - In the beginning...-p1050026.jpg

Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe - In the beginning...-a19.jpg

Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe - In the beginning...-a20.jpg

Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe - In the beginning...-p1050024.jpg

Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe - In the beginning...-p1050025.jpg

Enhancements:
This one would be a good candidate for enlargement. At 1:24, the reciever truss and feed horns could be modelled in detail. It would also be feasible to roll cylinders for the interdeck struts and the struts stabilizing the radiator.

I do need to texture the antenna support structure - it's tiled together from various primitive shapes so the texture will be a challenge to get even (limitation of my simple drawing software). Then again, if I use a crinkled foil pattern it may look OK, just pieces of insulation taped together ...

At a larger scale, modelling the various thrusters, fuel piping, and some wiring would also be practical (for those of us with big thumbs anyway - I fully expect to see Ray et.al. working on 1:200 scale versions of these spacecraft eventually).

A little experimenting with the plain paper prototype also shows it is possible to fold the sun shield (again, plain paper - not card for this exercise) for stowage - with a little judicious scoring of folds and reinforcing of the solar panels with a layer of card.

Yogi
Old 01-07-2010, 04:33 PM
Eternal Member

Just got a return ping from the Goddard WMAP team, so I sent them a copy for evaluation. Hopefully will post soon - either with the mission site or here and at LHVCC.
Google Adsense

Tags
space, space probe, telescope, wmap