PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 06-22-2010, 05:09 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired_for_now View Post
When you get to the Titan, be prepared to scratch build a box prism for the engine/thrust structure. You might be able to work out some detail at this scale, but it stumped me at 1:200.
Attachment 48854
1:200 builds of Precision Paper on the left; Ton's (multiple) on the right. Done in plain bond paper. You can just see the cobbled up thrust truss ... and a slight scaling issue (likely my bad, somehow).
Yogi
Very nice. I am defo going to build me a MINI rocket series I've made the Mini L.U.T with the SV from WEEVIKES {Mike}, and i have the 1:480 scale S-1B { by Mike and George} which i will do after the 1:48 L.E.M I just love all this miniaturization - you certainly don't get any COMPLAINTS from loved ones
Old 06-23-2010, 08:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 99.20 MB
Yep...it's a little crazy building so small, and I was worried at first when I saw the mostly-blank sheet that came out of the printer. But it's fun working with all the tiny parts (until you drop one into the carpet).

Yogi, those Titans look good. I'm wondering what you did for some of the detail pieces, like the strips that go down the side of Ton's Titan. Was it a minor enough downscaling that you just used the detail parts unmodified with no problem? Or did you leave them off hoping nobody would notice, or redraw the main parts to include the details?

Also, how come Ton's are taller than the PPSM Titans?
Old 06-23-2010, 02:35 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by iprefermuffins View Post
Yogi, those Titans look good. I'm wondering what you did for some of the detail pieces, like the strips that go down the side of Ton's Titan. Was it a minor enough downscaling that you just used the detail parts unmodified with no problem? Or did you leave them off hoping nobody would notice, or redraw the main parts to include the details?

Also, how come Ton's are taller than the PPSM Titans?
Kevin,
I printed everything for Ton's Titan out on plain paper and used the pieces I could physically handle. As I recall the vertical detailing for cable runs and piping was just cut out and glue on. I did scratch build a box for the thrust structure as Ton's original and revised parts were just too detailed at this scale - I needed something that would stand up to a support rod.

The scale issue was me, I think. I did the rocket gardens before all the discussion here about how Acrobat fits things to the page. I either scaled the PP rocket using the printer settings with an unknown setup on the Acrobat or I used Acrobat's 4-pages per sheet for the reduction (50% - very approximately).
Yogi
Old 06-30-2010, 09:48 PM

And here's the Mercury Atlas:

It's the one from Precision Paper, except for the launch escape tower which is a copy of the Delta 7 Redstone's (I liked the increased detail, and it makes these two look more consistent).

And of course here's the newly expanded family portrait:

I haven't thought about how I'll eventually want to display these yet. I might have to poke holes through them so I can put them on support rods, or else find some other way to secure them upright.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 528.19 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by iprefermuffins View Post
And here's the Mercury Atlas:

It's the one from Precision Paper, except for the launch escape tower which is a copy of the Delta 7 Redstone's (I liked the increased detail, and it makes these two look more consistent).

And of course here's the newly expanded family portrait:

I haven't thought about how I'll eventually want to display these yet. I might have to poke holes through them so I can put them on support rods, or else find some other way to secure them upright.

You know what? if you mount them in a box, and cut a peep hole in it, you can make like one of those keychain picture/kodachrome slide viewers for it. make kind of like a small lightbox, with a solid front with a peephole. when the person looks through the hole it will be a "3d" rocket park; paste an appropriate landscape picture in the back of the box. leave the top and sides open for the casual viewer, and to illuminate the diorama.
Google Adsense
Old 07-01-2010, 07:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 97.13 MB
Dude...

That is just NUTS!

(In a good way!)

Those little things are awesome. I can't imagine building that small. (Ironic, I know...)

So, when are you designing and building the launch pads?

Mike
Old 07-01-2010, 08:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
That Redstone is pretty awesome. Very tiny indeed! Good work!
Old 08-16-2010, 10:59 PM

Ok, so I guess I had a month-and-a-half-long hiatus...I had a trip in late July and a project I wanted to complete in the weeks prior to that, and then after I got back I just didn't set aside any time to work on this. Actually, it was probably Starcraft II that's been keeping me busy since then.

Anyway, I've added a Gemini Titan to the lineup. This is the PPSM model, but I designed my own engine support frame that I thought looked more like the tangly mess of pipes and struts and chambers on the real thing - not that it's really very visible at this size...

Old 08-17-2010, 12:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
that's a really nice job you did on the engine structure. Still kind of "open" and lattuce-y. Looks sturdy to me, too. Looking forward to the rest. The Saturn 5 won't be so tiny, I guess. Are you also planning to build the shuttle stack in 1/450?
Old 08-17-2010, 01:33 PM

Yep, I'll probably be trying the shuttle soon. I've already done AXM's shuttle at half size in 1:288, so I wonder if I could scale it down by half again without too much trouble...

And speaking of the Saturn V...Mike, any possibility of seeing the new version soon?
Google Adsense