PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 08-18-2010, 09:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 97.13 MB
muffins,

I'm basically having to re-draw everything, and when I say everything, I mean EVERYTHING! When I do that, and then try to convert the files to .pdfs, I'm losing a massive amount of detail, so I'm trying to figure out what the heck is going on.

I don't know what software George used, and even if I did, I don't have a copy of it. I'll figure it out, hopefully, but it's becoming a much more difficult project than I thought.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 99.20 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeVikes View Post
I don't know what software George used, and even if I did, I don't have a copy of it.
I wonder if I could help here - do you have some files whose format you don't recognize? If so, what extension do they have?
Old 08-24-2010, 08:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 50.69 MB
Those look incredibly... small. Great job! How about a pic with a size reference (i.e. - your hand or a coin)?
Last Build - 1:48 F1 Engine
Current Build - Mammoth Tank (Scale unknown)
Next Build - P-3 Orion (VQ-1 livery)
Old 08-24-2010, 12:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
If I might recommend a PDF editing tool that should save you a huge amount of headache?

PDFill

This will convert a PDF to any one of a half-dozen graphics formats, without ANY loss of detail.

You can then edit your drawing in any graphics program, save it as a GIF or JPG, and then convert it back to PDF with the same PD Fill. Awesome program.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:07 PM

I use PDFill as well. It does an excellent job. As Lancer said, you can convert .pdf to a graphics file up to 600dpi. I did this with a P-3 Orion that I downloaded and I am now using GIMP to do a repaint to match the squadron my dad used to fly with. GIMP has a fairly steep learning curve if you're not familiar with high-end graphics software (and I'm not). But I am learning via Google.

Both programs can be had for the low, low price of $0, just like we like it.
Google Adsense
Old 08-24-2010, 05:53 PM

Gideon: If you have any graphics experience at all, you can use just about any program for image editing that doesn't have the huge curve that GIMP has. I have two obsolete (and therefore free!) versions of old programs on my computer, Paint Shop Pro v7.4 and Adobe Photoshop v7.0 that I do all my graphics work with.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 99.20 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
Those look incredibly... small. Great job! How about a pic with a size reference (i.e. - your hand or a coin)?
I took a few earlier pictures with a coin for comparison (try a page or two back) but I guess I forgot it in the latest "family portrait".

Working on the Shuttle now. It turns out to be exactly 30% of AXM's 1:144 patterns, so it's really not that much harder than the 50% builds I did about a year ago. I really like how Alfonso's shuttles go together, but I wonder if I'll ever do one at the intended full size (or maybe I should try a different big one like the Fortezza?)
Old 08-25-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iprefermuffins View Post
I took a few earlier pictures with a coin for comparison (try a page or two back) but I guess I forgot it in the latest "family portrait".
Ahh, yes. I remember seeing them now... Silly me. :p
Old 08-25-2010, 12:14 PM

After the Shuttle, are you going to move on to the Soviet/Russian launchers?

Is there any chance whatsoever that you might do the N-1?
Old 08-25-2010, 12:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 97.13 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer525 View Post
If I might recommend a PDF editing tool that should save you a huge amount of headache?

PDFill

This will convert a PDF to any one of a half-dozen graphics formats, without ANY loss of detail.

You can then edit your drawing in any graphics program, save it as a GIF or JPG, and then convert it back to PDF with the same PD Fill. Awesome program.
Lancer,

Thank you for the suggestion.

My problem, however, is that I design in PowerPoint, and when I convert the files to .pdf, that's when I lose a ton of resolution. If everyone had PowerPoint and the files weren't enormous, I'd be in business!

Do you think PDFill could help me with this?
Google Adsense