PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 07-03-2020, 11:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.20 MB
Well...it's been a long time since I last posted on this site, and even longer since I worked much on this project; it's hard to believe I started it more than 10 years ago (which means yes, I'm resurrecting a 10 year old topic!). I did finish a Saturn V and start on some Russian/Soviet rockets not too long after my last update here, but then I put them all into a box and didn't touch them for a while.

However, recent events got me thinking about some old hobbies, and the SpaceX DM-2 launch a month ago also got me excited about this series again, so I decided to continue working on it along with a few other unfinished paper models. After the latest additions, I think I'm now up to date with every (vertically-launched) rocket that has ever taken humans to space, all in 1:480 scale.

Here's a list of all the sources for the models:

Mercury/Redstone - Delta 7 Studios, original 1:96
Mercury/Atlas - Precision Paper, original 1:96
Gemini/Titan - Precision Paper, original 1:96
Apollo/Saturn IB - Mike B (WeeVikes) & George B, 1:480
Apollo/Saturn V - Mike B & George B, 1:480
Space Shuttle - AXM, original 1:144
Crew Dragon/Falcon 9 - AXM, original 1:100
Soyuz - Erik te Groen, original 1:150
Voskhod - modified from ETG's Soyuz
Vostok - modified from ETG's Soyuz
Shenzhou/Long March 2F - U-DON'S FACTORY, original 1:96

I made my own modifications to a lot of these models in the interest of simplifying them, making them more consistent with each other, or improving their accuracy (where I noticed something that bothered me), so many of them don't perfectly represent the original models as designed. In addition, it's pretty apparent some of them were designed with higher levels of detail compared to others, and admittedly the amount of care that I put into building each one also varied, but I think it doesn't actually matter that much in the end and the result is still a pretty cool collection. I like to think of it as a 3D version of one of those "Rockets of the World" posters.

I still haven't figured out a good way to mount these for a display, but my latest idea is to use some kind of transparent glue to attach clear acrylic (plexiglass) bases to the bottoms. I'm hoping that would make them stable enough to stand vertically while still allowing them to be picked up and examined. I also hope it will preserve a decent view of all the rocket nozzles, which I think are neat to compare as there are so many different arrangements. Planning to test that soon to see how well it works.

Meanwhile, I'm also thinking about trying to do some matching air-launched spaceplanes (X-15, SpaceShipOne, and SpaceShipTwo) along with their motherships (NB-52, White Knight One, and White Knight Two). Any existing models of these that I've been able to find all look way too big and too detailed for me to scale down successfully, so I suspect if I do it at all, I'm going to have to design my own tiny models.

Kevin
Old 07-04-2020, 01:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 220.03 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to axm61
Wow, Kevin, these models look fantastic. Specially when I saw my Shuttle stack at that scale.
Thanks for sharing your wonderful collection !
Old 07-04-2020, 01:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
That's quite a collection, in any scale....
Old 07-15-2020, 12:01 AM

I did some experiments with glue and clear acrylic but wasn't happy with the results. So I've decided to perform some rocket surgery instead, which involves cutting the rocket open to implant a small aluminum tube. This allows the rocket to slide smoothly onto a thin brass rod, which I'll be able to build into the future display bases. This particular tube and rod are 3/32" and 1/16" diameter, respectively.

More rockets in 1:480-img_20200713_234415.jpgMore rockets in 1:480-img_20200713_235556.jpg

While cutting each model open again is inevitably going to lead to some damage, I think it will be worth it because I should end up with a much nicer way to mount them (although I wish I had had the foresight to start doing this while building them in the first place). As of right now I have 2 down and 9 to go.

Kevin
Old 07-20-2020, 09:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 362.87 MB
Several years ago I downloaded from the Aries Paper Models website the Mini Saturn 1B Apollo 7 template in 1:450 scale. On the pattern is a very interesting way to model the tanks on the 1st stage. That part of the pattern is in the photo. Over the years I have tried to model this part without much success. Recently I have tried again using different ideas. I decided I needed to put formers in to hold the shape of the tanks. However, the formers need to push out and pull back the tanks shape. In the photo are several formers and braces I have used. I finally did get one that is close in shape.

It is a lot of work to add the formers and braces to the tanks, so I decided to downsize a 1:96 scale template to 1:450 scale and 1:480 scale. It took about the same amount of effort to make 8 tubs for the outside tanks and one center tank as it did for making the former and braces. I think it looks better.

One thing I noticed is that the Aries model is taller than the downsized 1:96 pattern models. The top may be to hold the upper stage, but I'm not sure why the bottom is longer. The diameter of the models are the same. 1:450 scale and 1:480 scale models are too close to see much of a difference.

Has anyone used this method in modeling the 1st stage tanks on Saturn 1B models? Maybe part of the problem is the small scale of the model. It may work better on larger scales. I have a few other ideas I may try, but I wanted to check if any other modelers have built this model using this pattern. Maybe the designer has some suggestions, but I don't see the Aries Paper Models website on the internet anymore.
Attached Thumbnails
More rockets in 1:480-model-pattern.jpg   More rockets in 1:480-test-builds.jpg   More rockets in 1:480-former-braces.jpg   More rockets in 1:480-side-view.jpg   More rockets in 1:480-angle-view.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 07-20-2020, 11:53 AM

Hi Willard11, those are some nice looking first stage tanks. I did notice that was a detail that isn't present on Mike and George's Saturn IB (and there's nothing wrong with that; they're designed to be simplified models but still nice). I had decided I was fine with that, but seeing yours is starting to make me want the more detailed tanks for my own rocket.

Of course, if I wanted to retrofit mine, the best time to do that would have been when I had it cut open a few days ago for implanting the guide tube.

If my research is right, each of the 8 outer tanks on a Saturn IB is the same diameter as a Redstone rocket.

Kevin
Old 07-20-2020, 10:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.67 GB
Eric is the owner and designer from Aries .. he is active on this forum .. Also Bruno Vanhecke sells a series of Saturn models on this forum that are highly detailed and sturdy and hold well when increasing or decreasing scale sizes .. Skrry I don’t have examples or Eric’s details ..
Old 07-21-2020, 09:20 AM

Hi Kevin, I am new to the forum and when I saw this thread about rockets in 480 scale, I thought this was the place to post my question. I hope you don't mind me using it for my question. I usually build my space models in 1:240 scale but use 1:480 scale for the larger models. You have a nice collections of rocket models.

The most difficult part I have had to make from downsizing the 1:96 scale to 1:480 scale is the Engine Section Fairing. It is the part that fits between the tanks at the bottom of the engine. It may be easy to cut out the inside circles in 1:96 scale, but it is a challenge in 1:480 scale. There must be some tools that cut circles that small. In the photo you will see the part I made after several tries. I also have the upper stage in the photo.

I have this modeling project on hold until I collect more information. I like your idea about placing the models on stands. I will have to try it when I get the the model built.
Attached Thumbnails
More rockets in 1:480-engine-section-fairing.jpg  
Old 07-21-2020, 12:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 339.83 MB
The trick is to score the seven lines on the back side of Part D. Then fold them up, towards the ink (valley fold) and flatten them with
a blunt object. Do this seven times. Now open part D. Use a smooth round knitting needle to shape the cylinders.
Now, it should be easier to get this part in the correct shape.

_______
Erik
Old 07-22-2020, 08:47 PM

Thanks Erik for the information about scoring the backside of the patterns. I used a dowel stick to shape the cylinders. What weight paper do you use for the tanks? I may have handled the paper too much when I glued the edges together. I think that distorted the tanks shapes.

When I complete my current project, I will start working on this one now that I have this new information. I have some other ideas I thought about trying also.
Google Adsense