PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 07-23-2020, 10:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 339.83 MB
When I design a model, it's usually made for 200 grams paper (I believe that is about 65 Bond paper...?).
For small parts and/or small rockets, this paper is often too thick. And it may "crackle" in a wrong way, when being shaped.
Therefor, use thin paper. 120 grams and/or 150 grams would be ideal for these small rockets.
It's easier to shape the parts and therefor get a better result. Add more layers of paper, afterwards, for reinforcement.
Ofcourse, synthetic glue is a MUST, especially for the larger parts. These glues are not water beased and will not warp
the paper. The small parts (finger nail size and smaller) are gued in place with wood glue.

NOTE : One important detail is never being discussed here: the correct type of paper for these models........
There are litterally hundreds of types of paper. Which one is best for you? Buy a few different types of paper and find out...!!
There is thick and thin paper, long fibres and short fibres, soft fibres and tough fibres, hand made and machine made paper.
The latter one has most fibres pointing in one direction, making folding difficult or it makes the paper crackle.
Rolled (smooth and shiny paper) and non-rolled paper, acid-free and non-acid free.

Plenty of choices. And they all react differently to the ink of your printer, too.......
(Actually, the ink reacts to the type of paper.)

Talk about fun. ;-)

Experiment !! Try it out.
That's the best advice I can give you.

_______
Erik
Old 07-23-2020, 11:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.20 MB
Yep, I'm actually using regular printer paper (20 lb/75 gsm) for the most part on these rockets, although in some areas I double it up or reinforce it with card stock so it's more rigid. (I might have used something a little thicker for some of the earlier ones but it's been long enough that I don't remember.)

I'm also mostly using plain old Elmer's glue (PVA), although I haven't really tried solvent-based glues so it's possible they could be nicer.

Kevin