PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 08-23-2010, 06:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by richkat View Post
I'm thinking of going to a print shop to have it printed..think the end result would look better than tile type printing? never done this before so not shure how to go about it. Does anyone out there know of a good place to get an enlargement made(in U.S.) I'll need to enlarge it by 208% (if my math is right) so that means about 18x24? thats a big pc. of paper, maybe print on trimed down poster board?............Rich
I generally get mine done at FexEx/Kinko's since there's one a couple of blocks away, but I would think any decent copying shop would be able to handle it. If you do go to a place like Kinko's, have them use the machines behind the counter because they tend to be better than the machines in the "public use" area.

Usually, I'll take my files in on a thumb drive and tell them what percentage I need it enlarged or reduced, and ask them about paper choices.

Keep in mind this route is going to cost you some (especially when most of us cardmodelers get our models for free) but it isn't too onerous when you compare it to what a styrene modeler pays for a decent kit these days. The Fortezza Orbiter could run into "onerous" territory, though, because there are a lot of parts on a lot of pages. I usually get a couple of copies of each sheet so I'll have a spare in case I screw up a part.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
Yep I used Office Depot to enlarge a Yamaha YZF 1000 that i got from the Yamaha site,only cost me about 7 dollars, not bad! had two copies made for spares.Also did a R2D2 there he's about 10" tall, realy like that one! Kind of played around with Coreldraw but I'm not very good with that program.tryed to enlarge with tile printing but didn't look very good, think it will work much better just printed on one sheet..........Rich
Old 08-24-2010, 09:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Such an excellent idea for a 1/48 scale Space Shuttle. Now of course with the full stack, we would need the corresponding Crawler/Transporter and the Mobile Launch Platform. For the stacks, I think with enough interior support rings, the tank and boosters would be no problem, just a lot of Strathmore sheets and Glue !! Has anyone done a fleet of shuttle full stack in all of the scales or Shuttle missions in any scale?

Take care,,, Willis
Old 08-26-2010, 07:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 357.33 MB
Hisato Shimada's 1:50 Scale Orbiter Model

Hi all,

After some searching over at Zealot, I found the page with the PDFs of the GIANT all-white 1:50 scale shuttle, that was designed by Japanese modeler Hisato Shimada. It consists of no less than 60 pages!

You will find the PDFs for direct download under the 2nd post by edkeffel:
Delta 7 Shuttle - Page 4 - Zealot Hobby Forum

Have a look at the images in the instruction 'guide', and you will get a picture of how many single parts there are, that make up the fuselage, wings, tail fin, OMS pods, main engines, etc, etc.

I remember seeing some photos of a build of this model a couple of years ago, where the modeler (a French guy, I think) had used thick card for reinforcements for most of the internal parts; formers, spars, bulkheads, etc.
I guess it's a must for a model of this size.

I have PM:ed you by the way, Richard, with the same link as above. Good luck with your 1:50 scale orbiter model!

All the best,
Bengt :D
Old 08-27-2010, 08:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
Went to FedEx kinko's to see about enlarging my shuttle.....THEY ONLY WANTED $20 A SHEET TO DO IT!!!! Thats what, somewhere around $200 for the 10 pages of the Shuttle oh, plus the booster and tank stack.....ARE THEY KIDDING?? Man there told me they could print up to 35" wide and as long as i need, for $20 a square foot. 208% enlargement of a 8.5x11 is a little over 1.2 square feet.Dang anyone know some good Lotto numbers?? Guess I'll have to find a way to tile print it......Rich
Google Adsense
Old 08-28-2010, 02:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 20.98 MB
try posterazor, it can give you almost as many pages you want
just beware that the joints might not be as good as was it in one piece though
Old 08-28-2010, 08:11 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
You know, Bengt - I think that's why I don't build big in card. By the time you do all the reinforcing needed you end up with a paper skinned model (I could just go out to the shop and build/carve a wood or foam frame and skin it).

I think I enjoy the origami aspect of card most - the way the tension in the paper makes smooth curves, folds provide straight lines, and the whole thing just supports itself and pulls the pieces into a complex shape. The BIG-ISS was less satisfying than building the 2-foot version for that reason - the 8-foot space station was really structured around the supporting PVC pipe truss and just skinned with paper.

That said - richkat - if you want a big one then just DO IT!

Yogi

BTW: the companion ISS in 1:48 scale would be a 167% enlargement of the BIG-ISS in the download section for a 13+ foot (4 m) span across the truss. I'd recommend a larger PVC pipe size for the armature or maybe go to aluminum tubing ...
Old 08-28-2010, 02:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Quote:
Originally Posted by richkat View Post
Went to FedEx kinko's to see about enlarging my shuttle.....THEY ONLY WANTED $20 A SHEET TO DO IT!!!! Thats what, somewhere around $200 for the 10 pages of the Shuttle oh, plus the booster and tank stack.....ARE THEY KIDDING?? Man there told me they could print up to 35" wide and as long as i need, for $20 a square foot. 208% enlargement of a 8.5x11 is a little over 1.2 square feet.Dang anyone know some good Lotto numbers?? Guess I'll have to find a way to tile print it......Rich
Maybe shop around some...a couple of years back, I enlarged scale plans for my Avro Vulcan build from 1/72 and 1/96 to 1/32...total cost on A) size sheets was only NZ$56 or about US$40...that was for B&W though but I don't think the colour price was that astronomical...
Old 08-31-2010, 05:27 PM

Dream big and have a lot of adhesive handy.

Hi everyone,
I was poking around the internet after work to relax and came across this website that makes full scale 1:1 soace shuttles.
It may not be of paper, however a paper version would cost a great deal less than the site's model. I stopped counting the "0's" when i reached seven digits. ok, a full mock up is "around $2.2 million.

I figure if we can get the diagrams and tech specifications and plans from them, and we all take about a two square foot section and combine the efforts, I think we will have a new world record for the largest paper model anywhere! I'm not sure on this but it sounds about right. I figure by each of us taking a section like that, then that will help to keep the costs and time down to a semi-managable level.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:37 PM

Dream a Dream

Hello,

I'm not sure if the link made it in my last post of the shuttle full scale. so here it is:

Full Scale Space Shuttle or Shuttle Nose - Full Scale Replicas

-Willis
Google Adsense