PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 06-10-2012, 01:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Linnabery View Post
Dear Danos:
During WWII some of the Model Railroad Cars where made of cardboard and seemed to hold to handling. I have wondered about using thin Superglue to flood a card model to stiffen it for handling, or using a paint of epoxy to seal and stiffen. As you seem to going to do a double build first in card then plastic card you might try and see if this technique will work in HO scale.
Good luck, looks like a good start,
MILES
Had a chat to my dad about what he used to use, and he's suggested Shellac as it soaks in to the paper/card and hardens solid.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaos View Post
I've sent a couple of PMs, one earlier when I saw your reply and another one 1 minute ago including links, did you get them? After pressing send the forum just showed me my inbox, no indication of having sent the PMs and nothing showing in my sentbox.

I had a similar problem. Saving sent messages to the sent folder isn't the default setting for some reason.
To change that go to User CP. Then 'Setting and options' -> edit options. Then at the bottom of the 'Messaging & Notification' box there is an option to save sent messages in the sent folder.

Your train work is very interesting. Looks great and you seems to be enjoying it.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporticus View Post
I had a similar problem. Saving sent messages to the sent folder isn't the default setting for some reason.
To change that go to User CP. Then 'Setting and options' -> edit options. Then at the bottom of the 'Messaging & Notification' box there is an option to save sent messages in the sent folder.
I run a few forums myself using phpBB, and use a few using vBulletin, and they all show a "message sent" confirmation page before redirecting to the inbox. With that confirmation missing it appeared that the message wasn't sent. Thanks for the tip on setting the save sent messages option, I'm used to that being a default on forums I use too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporticus View Post
Your train work is very interesting. Looks great and you seems to be enjoying it.
I guess it's middle age setting in, finding new ways to combine my aptitude with computer systems and my interests
Old 06-12-2012, 02:15 AM

Just a small update, I started work on the first artillery railcar, the "Kannonen und Flakwagen" which has a 7.5cm calibre turret and a 2cm Flakcannon. It's only a basic hull so far, still needs some tweaks to the armoured panels around the Flakcannon platform, doors, hatches, buffer armour, and the armoured corridor under the platform that will connect up to the next railcar in the train, the Kommandowagen - which in turn connects to the other railcar with a turret, the Geschutzwagen armed with the 10.5cm calibre turret.

Larger pics and other views in my blog here: Panzerzug railcar "Kannonen und Flakwagen" WIP

Dan
Old 06-12-2012, 07:11 PM

Another small update, tonight the Kommandowagen hull has been done and connecting corridor and placeholder flak 38 added to the artillery/flak railcar.

Larger pics, and more pics of the train, available in my blog here: Panzerzug railcar "Kommandowagen" WIP
Google Adsense
Old 06-15-2012, 03:49 PM

Another update, this time the Geschutzwagen which is armed with a 10.5cm turret.

This completes the armoured railcars, leaving just the tank wagon which carries a Pz 38(t), and the Panzerjaegerwagen which is a flat wagon with a Pz IV turret. Once these are complete and I'm happy with how the model fits together I'll print out the unfolded models and start figuring out how to build them onto OO gauge axles so that they can run on the model railway.

Larger pics at Panzerzug "Geschutzwagen" WIP
Old 06-24-2012, 12:33 PM

Another small update, this time the Panzertragerwagon and the Panzerjagerwagen. I started on the tank carrier last week but forgot to post anything here.

All the components so far put together in a half train:

Larger pics available here: Panzerzug "Panzerjagerwagen" WIP
Old 08-09-2012, 07:19 AM

Finally got a new update - I managed to get a Hornby Stanier 8F to act as a proxy locomotive (a Roco BR 57 is far too expensive!) and I ended up having to extend the loco and tender shells to fit the longer 8F (it's a tender drive model so I couldn't just replace the tender with a scratchbuilt chassis). I've also changed the position of the access hatches for the driving wheels and moved around the armour panels, and printed new card prototype shells to test the fit. With a little modification to the piston head armour panels the train runs round the track perfectly.

Original shells above, extended 8F version below

Prototype card shells in place on 8F

The loco shell fits over the 8F body shell, but the 8F tender is too high for the shell to fit over and still sit under the cabin roof at the back. Luckily the tender shell comes off very easily so it's a simple swap.

Bigger pics in my blog at Panzerzug loco and tender remodelled and Panzerzug first rolling mockup ready
Old 09-14-2012, 01:13 AM

Finally got around to mocking up the first railcar, the Kommandowagen, in card and checking it for size with the existing mockups. Also built a test chassis from plastic beam, brass bearings, and Hornby metal wheels to make sure the axle spacing would allow it to get around the curves on the track without derailing.

More details at and bigge pic: Panzerzug mockup of Kommandowagen
Old 09-14-2012, 05:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.52 MB
Great job with Sketchup, the camo is nice, are you projecting it as a texture in sketchup or adding it later.
Google Adsense

Tags
bp44, german, panzerzug