PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 12-02-2012, 08:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.57 MB
thanks for the input, all. i did print out the train from paper-replika. Diderick, you are right - the colors loose vibrancy. i guess, there's no way for a printer to output a glossy, glittery look as in the templates.

about mixed-media .. i, personally, would like to deal only with paper, but that may be because i can't do the other things you talk about :D
however, i have an opinion about laser (any form of machine-assisted) cutting - i think, that's cheating. but that's just my opinion.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Dave I promise I had a big ole sloppy grin on my face when I wrote that. I have already seen that there is a huge competitivness amongs the modelers and all want their model to look the absolute best it can be. I love the idea of paper models and will definately use 99% paper in anything I build, however, if a little "bondo" will help...who knows. In anycase I am tickled to death to see such talent displayed here. Thanks to you and everyone who shares their artistry.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
And 'he didn't build it,' either. Dave, I really have to disagree with your posting. I have yet to enter any kind of contest in which the medium is determined by the majority constituent of the model, not the sole constituent. Per your thinking, only origami would be a 'paper' model. I don't care how many "impure" elements such as glue, putty, wire, photoetch, etc get added to a plastic kit, it still competes in the plastic category.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
And 'he didn't build it,' either. Dave, I really have to disagree with your posting. I have yet to enter any kind of contest in which the medium is determined by the majority constituent of the model, not the sole constituent. Per your thinking, only origami would be a 'paper' model. I don't care how many "impure" elements such as glue, putty, wire, photoetch, etc get added to a plastic kit, it still competes in the plastic category.
If this is correct, then why have a "paper" category at a Scale Model show?
The primary medium would in most cases be considered the majority medium,
as in the predominant difference between a "plastic" model and "paper" model.
If I unveiled a scale model made almost entirely of string and asked for it to be judged
in the paper category, I would be told "no, there isn't enough paper content"!

But, to repeat, I did say "I think..." which implies that this is my own personal opinion
on the clarification necessary when you are judging one of my "paper" builds
against a build such as the Locomotive in this thread!
I think it would be extremely unfair to judge both as "paper models" in the same paper model category.

I would have no problem losing to this model in a "best scale model" category
but I would have a big problem losing to it in a "best paper model" category.

And yes...I would say origami (which is actually the art of paper folding)
can be classed as a "true" or pure form of paper modeling
even though I have repeated that as paper modelers we (meaning me, I suppose)
are willing to tolerate a limited amount of non paper essential elements in our "paper model" builds.

(just not as much as to totally bury the paper in a majority of other non paper elements...that would be "mixed medium")

...and, in case you just tuned in...this is all in response to a post (made in jest)
about the idea of feeling intimidated by a model built with amazing excellence
that might be considered (by some - not all)
to not actually fall into the category of a "true" paper model.

And now, I am going to warm up the motor on my boat.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
But the Christmas Train from Paper-Replika.com isn't the Polar Express, is it? When I googled Polar Express, the train that came up looked nothing like the PR Christmas train. I'm confused.
Google Adsense
Old 12-02-2012, 05:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.41 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin_King View Post
I am totally unfamiliar with Polar Express, but if you are looking for Christmas trains, there are many out there, including one from RXR, Merry Christmas from RXR!.
Paper-Replika also has one, and a Google search turned up several more. In doing a Google search for Polar Express images, I couldn't see what the footprint is of the engine 4-6-0, 2-6-2, or whatever, but I didn't look too much.

How are you confused....your the one told us originally about the Paper-replika.com train and it not being the polar express...your first post above? Either way, we need to entice RXR on this project! He could build us an OUTSTANDING Polar Express!!!
Old 12-02-2012, 05:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
I totally agree, but the Polar Express images I found online wouldn't be very helpful for designing a model...
Old 12-02-2012, 06:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.41 MB
Your right Vermin...there are no good images of the movie engine....if you except that Lionel trains knew something though, they modeled it as a 2-8-4. Wikipedia says its the Pere Marquette 1225, one of 2 Berkshire 2-8-4's left in the world. It still runs excursions in Michigan.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 18.67 MB
Talking Polar Express download

The been a few inquire-res about my Polar Express paper model ! I've pass it on to all those who pm me , and i thank you

I'm going to re post it on my DevianArt site for download. For all who like to have !

It will be up from now til Dec24th .. Thanks

Allhallowseve31 on deviantART
Old 12-03-2012, 07:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.57 MB
allhallowseve - very kind of you!

Vermin_King - my wife liked that one too so it's a go :P

OhioMike - i think, that was Vermin's way of getting us back on-topic ))
Google Adsense