PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 03-17-2014, 07:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 47.78 MB
Here's part two of my previous post. I'll show how the Bistro (RB) and Restaurant/Bistro (WRB) rail carriage outsides were made. Then, it's an inside look at the WRB carriage.

Like the previous carriages, having reference images is critical. This lets me get the details in the correct locations and proportions. I used various sources for reference images. Google is perhaps the most obvious source--switching to the Google image search results shows what's available. A search on Flickr can also be helpful, especially when viewing the largest size image--train numbers are more easily seen this way.

A search on YouTube can also help, and videos can be paused at just the right moment to take a screenshot of passing trains. Although an official SBB YouTube video showed the Starbucks logo being applied to a WRB carriage, it was its train numbers which made it useful for me--"WRB 50 85 88-94 005-8" could easily be seen!

Taking personal photos while waiting for your train at the station, and even aboard your train as it makes stops, is also helpful.

It was even easier to collect WRB reference images in November 2013, when the Starbucks carriage was announced. Many official images and videos were available from Starbucks, various Websites attended the Zurich HB unveiling event on November 13, and many FaceBook photos (such as from bahnonline.ch and werkstattatlas.info) were posted of the event aboard the trial run Starbucks carriage.

It's important to get reference images of both sides of the carriage, but sometimes it's hard to know which side you're looking at. This is when spotting small details are critical, like the top strobe light which doesn't appear in the same position when looking at either side.

That wasn't a problem with the RB and WRB carriages, as a single red door appears on different ends when seen from either side.

The Starbucks carriage displayed window icons with its various food served onboard. To make the icons easier to trace, I opened a reference image in Photoshop, increased the canvas size, then applied the lens correction filter for a flatter view. The icons were then traced in Adobe Illustrator.

SBB IC 2000 InterCity Train-1-lens-correction.jpg
Using Photoshop's "Lens Correction" filter, with the horizontal perspective setting being adjusted.

SBB IC 2000 InterCity Train-2-illustrator-tracing.jpg
The traced icons over a window in Adobe Illustrator.

Press releases and annual report PDF files can be a handy source for vector artwork. Although PDFs can contain bitmapped or vector objects, the Starbuck's Logo was vector in its annual report, so it was easily applied to my paper model in Illustrator. The green color was off a bit coming out of the PDF, so I reapplied Pantone 3425 C--Starbuck's official logo color.

SBB IC 2000 InterCity Train-3-starbucks-logo.jpg
Here, the Starbuck's logo is positioned.

When it's time to print out the model, I like to use "HP Everyday Photo Paper, Matte" which is thicker than normal paper, and lets me use the photo quality settings for better output resolution and colors. An X-Acto knife makes cutting out small features easier, and gell glue dries clear and (more) quickly.

Now then, I should give some explanation for what you're about to see next.

Although I have assembled other papercraft trains before, I've felt there were several things about the models which could use improvement. It could be hard to get the internal walls to stand up straight and not twist, and also have the outside "skin" not bow outward--especially toward the middle.

Therefore, I came up with the following internal structures to fix these shortcomings. It does work, provided the various parts are glued on straight. I've folded many origami models in the past, so perhaps you'll notice a bit of origami in how things go together.

SBB IC 2000 InterCity Train-4-middle-insert.jpg
This is an internal support structure, specifically for the carriage's middle, and it comes in two parts. Flaps are created to glue things on to by cutting along the red lines, then folding the flaps outward. The dotted lines are of course folded along.

SBB IC 2000 InterCity Train-5-inserts.jpg
The top image shows the two internal support structures, which we've just seen, folded up and glued together. The central vertical spine keeps things straight upright, prevents twisting, and holds up to vertical force rather well. The "BB" rectangular part is attached to the initial part to form walls so the outer "skin" can be glued to it. Maybe this bit of paper engineering is over engineered? Perhaps. The bottom photo shows a version of the internal structure to place at each end, hence the door.

SBB IC 2000 InterCity Train-6-parts.jpg
The internal suport structures are seen again in the foreground. The long rectangular part In the background is the floor on to which the support structures are glued. I have a second one at the very back showing the bottom--The white E1 and E2 regions are where the bogies are glued on, and the middle C area is a partial trap door which is folded and its tip is glued to the very bottom, which you'll soon see.

SBB IC 2000 InterCity Train-7-internal-parts-glued.jpg
Here are the internal structures glued into position.

SBB IC 2000 InterCity Train-8-closing-up.jpg
The outer "skin" is glued on the far side, including the "walls" of each inner structure--the flat number three parts on the far side. The outer skin also has a bottom rectangular part, which is folded down and then up and glued to the "floor" above it, including the partial trap door tip to which it makes contact with. I used a Prisma marker along the edges of the outer skin--you can see that it bleeds a bit. Perhaps I'll try colored pencils next time. The outer skin is next wrapped up around the top, glued to the inner structure walls on the near side, then glued to the side flaps of the top and bottom floors.

SBB IC 2000 InterCity Train-9-rb_wrb_wrb-starbucks.jpg
The bogies are glued on, as are the extended door connector walls and bumpers on each end.

So there you have it--the Bistro, Restaurant/Bistro, and Starbucks Restaurant/Bistro rail carriages.

In my next post, we jump from the train's middle to one end--just before the engine. The first class car with service compartment (AD) is up next.

Cheers!
Old 07-06-2014, 08:41 PM

Hello, I'll make this one short. Here's the first class carriage with service compartment (AD.)

SBB IC 2000 InterCity Train-ad_angle.jpg SBB IC 2000 InterCity Train-ad_face.jpg

My next entry will be on SBB's colors. I've touched on this before, but I'll go into more detail--both the color system (it's actually not Pantone) and the color values used for the rolling stock.

Cheers!
Old 07-07-2014, 08:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Just my opinion, but I like the glass look on this version,
it just needs to be turned upside down.

A little darker would be okay too, but reverse the gradient.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:07 PM

When I made the first rail car in this project, I used a much lighter gradation--something closer to what JR West uses in their regional train papercraft models.

But then I changed my mind--the lighter gray looked too metallic or too much like a mirror, so I changed it. I've seen papercraft train windows with the lighter shades at the bottom, but I guess those simulate windows at a station with light bouncing off the train platform.

My models currently simulate the window's appearance in daylight, away from the station--which looks closer to the reference photos I have of the IC 2000 traveling through the countryside.

I guess it all comes down to personal preference.

Cheers!
Old 07-14-2014, 03:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 326.45 MB
Looking good,
NH78
Old 07-14-2014, 06:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
I did not look up images of this particular train, but being in the US, looked up Amtrak. What I mostly see is each pane of glass being a solid color, but as you go the length of the car, there is a gradation between one window and the next. There are two types of gradations on individual panes, large panels that have a bit of wave in the glass (side to side) and 'observation cars' that have glass that curves into the roof (which of course has the top of the glass lighter than the bottom). So I guess it comes down to tricking the brain into 'seeing' glass that is actually printed paper. I actually agree with Dave that to me the windows look upside down. I think my brain is saying that the windows will slightly be inset and the top of the frame would cause shadow there and no shadow at the bottom. Dunno.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:14 PM

Hello,

Work continues on my next rail carriage model, which is almost done, but it still needs more work.

Before that, in this entry I'll explain how I found the correct SBB colors to use with my papercraft project.

I used Pantone colors for my model up until this point, but months of Web searches to identify more SBB Pantone colors came up empty. Eventually, I came across a reference to RAL colors (SBB rollmaterial farben.) What's Pantone and RAL?

* Color matching systems: Pantone and RAL
Designers who refer to specific colors and shades use color matching systems--these give standard names or numbers for specific colors. The Pantone Matching System (PMS, or just Pantone) is one such system, and it's used worldwide by designers--basically for print work, but also by architects and manufacturers. So instead of referring to a medium yellow color with some light orange, you can state the color as Pantone 1023. You can also buy small Pantone booklets which show all the system's colors and their reference numbers. This way, you can refer to a color swatch by its number and more closely match what you want.

More searching for SBB's colors led me to a page (more on that soon) on the SBB Historic Website which gave SBB's various colors. These were not listed as Pantone colors, but instead as RAL colors. RAL is another color matching system, created in Germany, used for paints in commercial/government applications in German speaking countries. RAL itself has several color systems--RAL Classic, RAL Effect, and RAL Design. There are some overlap in colors, but they're basically different. RAL Classic is the system to use for SBB's rolling stock.

Pantone and RAL each have different color palates. Although it's possible to convert a color between the two systems, the match can vary greatly--the hue can be slightly or greatly different, or one can be much darker than the other. Each color system doesn't use all possible colors, but only a selection--this is one reason it can be difficult to make a 100% match.

Since the paint used on the trains was identified as RAL colors, that's the color system I referred to and stuck with.

A side note: RAL colors are usually used with paint and Pantone colors with inks, but I'm using RAL colors to match my printout inks.

* RAL colors from SBB Historic
It seems the page on SBB Historic which listed the RAL colors used was removed sometime after 2007. There used to be a FAQ section with a page for rolling stock questions--that page no longer exists:
http://www.sbbhistoric.ch/index.cfm?...faq_bereichz=5

However, it can still be seen using the Wayback Machine on www.archive.org. Just paste in the URL you want to see, click on a page's capture date (the blue dot) from the timeline, and there it is! You can also see a translation with Google Translate (paste in the page's URL from when it's viewed on the Wayback Machine, which starts with web.archive.org,) but it often reads like a drunk robot wrote it.

So here's an excerpt from the page's list of SBB's RAL colors, which is really great for getting the correct colors for your train model projects:

SBB Red - RAL 3020 [from what I understand, RAL 3020 is only for the SBB logo and RAL 3000 is for the everything else]
SBB Black - RAL 9005
SBB White - RAL 9010
SBB Black Grey (all bogies since EW IV) - RAL 7021
SBB Umbra gray (for aprons, vehicle roofs) - RAL 7022
SBB Blue (signs above and SBB Cargo) - RAL 5002
SBB Anthracite - RAL 7016
Cobalt blue (NPZ, DPZ) - RAL 5013
Fire Red (locomotives, dining cars, fronts) - RAL 3000
Traffic Yellow (Km, cranes, doors) - RAL 1023

The page also notes SBB uses the Helvetica Neue Light font (Neue Helvetica LT.)

* SBB RAL colors via Thurbo
Some of these colors can also be verified from Thurbo, which is mostly owned by SBB. The good news is that Thurbo freely and publicly offers its corporate design manual as a pdf. It's the first pdf link here:
Thurbo - Die Regionalbahn .Das Erscheinungsbild von Thurbo

Page seven notes SBB's font as Helvetica Neue LT, both in #45 light and #75 bold weights.

Page eight lists the SBB colors in multiple colors systems.
SBB Red: RAL 3020
SBB Black: RAL 9005
SBB White: RAL 9010
SBB Blue: RAL 5002
SBB Anthracite: RAL 7016

* RGB Values to use (good luck!)
OK, I know the RAL colors I need, but what RGB values should I use in my graphics program which will be correct when printed out? I suppose things might have been easier if I had a color calibrated monitor and printer, but I don't, so anyway...

I used RGB values from several sources.

1) RAL Website
There is a Classic Color table page on the RAL Website. One screenshot later I had my values to read off in Photoshop--although RAL itself says its Web page isn't "binding," so the colors are off in some cases.

2) RAL Swatch PDF
The Arraydesign.co.uk Website has a publicly viewable PDF with RAL colors and more. Enough said.

3) RAL Classic K7 Guide
You can buy a RAL color swatch booklet from paint stores and online merchants--like Amazon. A scan of the needed colors (again on non calibrated equipment) gave me close values.

So now I had my RAL RGB values. Unfortunately, they varied at times--have a look:
SBB IC 2000 InterCity Train-sbb-ral-colors-test.jpg

In the end, I chose my final RGB values through some experimentation and matching printouts against rolling stock (at that great color matching location--the train station.)

* Color values used
Ultimately, I decided on the following colors to use with my papercraft project--these matched when using a relatively recent HP OfficeJet printer (which automatically converts from RGB to CMYK) with HP ColorLok ink. Please note that my colors may shift when used with another type of printer and ink--so don't consider them the final word. However, they are a good starting point.

SBB IC 2000 InterCity Train-my-papercraft-proj-ral-colors.jpg

So these are the colors I'm using with my next rail carriage model, and when it's done I'll propagate the colors to my previous models.

Now I'm in the process of matching RAL colors to Prismacolor pencils to color the paper's edges.

I'll end with a teaser for my next post--yes it's related, and no I haven't gone bananas. ;-)
SBB IC 2000 InterCity Train-teaser.jpg

Cheers!
Old 03-08-2015, 07:22 PM

It has been a few months, and since then I've made many changes to my model. With more reference photos, I saw there was an easier way to determine the left and right sides--this greatly improved the models' accuracy.

The secret was in the side panels (I'll show this in my next post,) which were marked with either L or R (for left or right sides.) Knowing this, I corrected several mistakes and added more details--such as more panel type, polygon roof, and more sturdy bogies. I've been updating all the carriages, but the first one to have the new changes is this post's subject.

The driving trailer (Bt) comes in four (technically five) versions. Since the design variations are kind of small on the photos, I've also included larger versions--direct out of my graphics program.

1) Bt "plain" version

SBB IC 2000 InterCity Train-bt_plain_34.jpg SBB IC 2000 InterCity Train-bt_plain.jpg
Besides the plain version, the driving trailer also comes in additional liveries, which signify it is a "family car" with a children's play area--it even has a sliding board (it's true!)

2) Bt "Dinosaur" version
I couldn't find a high resolution reference photo that was flat or nearly straight-on, so I didn't create this version.

3) Bt "Globi and Moon" version
SBB IC 2000 InterCity Train-bt_globi_decal.jpg SBB IC 2000 InterCity Train-bt_globi_34.jpg SBB IC 2000 InterCity Train-bt_globi.jpg
Globi is a long-running Swiss comic book character, and a 2001 agreement between its publisher and SBB led to the character's appearance on the side of the driving trailer.

4) Bt "Moon" version
SBB IC 2000 InterCity Train-bt_moon_decal.jpg SBB IC 2000 InterCity Train-bt_moon_34.jpg SBB IC 2000 InterCity Train-bt_moon.jpg
The Globi character was later removed from the sides, maybe because the licence agreement ended? I don't know.

5) Bt "Jungle" version
SBB IC 2000 InterCity Train-bt_jungle_decal.jpg SBB IC 2000 InterCity Train-bt_jungle_34.jpg SBB IC 2000 InterCity Train-bt_jungle.jpg
The jungle theme was the last livery. If you look closely, you'll see I've added some brush stroke effects not normally part of the livery--the gorilla's purple outlines are the most noticeable. In time, SBB changed all Bt carriages with Dinosaur and Moon liveries to the jungle version.

So there you have it, the Bt driving trailer.

I mentioned in the previous post I switched from markers to Prismacolor pencils (to color the edges.) As a result, there are no longer bleed-through problems. I chose the Prismacolor Premier line because its colors were available in many shades, and I didn't need to press down hard for good coverage. Again, the color match is printer and ink dependent, but here's what worked for my setup.

SBB IC 2000 InterCity Train-ral_colors_vs_prismacolor_premier_pencils.jpg
I tried several greys and reds, but best match was with PC 1067 and PC 923.

Prismacolor Premier colored pencils:
* PC 1067, 90% Cool Grey (for rail carriage ends -- this matches RAL 7021, but it's slightly darker)
* PC 949, Silver (for bogie wheels)
* PC 923, Scarlet Lake (for the Bt front -- this matches RAL 3000)
* PC 935, Black (for the Bt front black stripe, for the bogies)

In the next post, I'll show the revised First Class (A) and Second Class (B) carriage models.

Cheers!

PS: Here's a bonus! Although it's much too small to normally read on the model, here's the door detail.

SBB IC 2000 InterCity Train-door_detail.jpg
Old 03-09-2015, 03:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.06 GB
Very much enjoying your thread. The discourse on colouring references, Pantone and RAL are particularly interesting.

Graphic detail is excellent, I may have missed it but what scale are the finished models ?
Old 03-09-2015, 05:47 AM

Hello DougH,

I'm glad you've enjoyed the journey as create the IC 2000 from scratch. Yes, the discovery about RAL was also new for me--I was only familiar with Pantone before this.

The models I've printed out and shown in the photographs are at 1:120 TT scale.

I created this at 1:112.76 (approximate) scale--it's about the largest I can get it on letter paper. So currently at 100% it's slightly above TT scale.

However, when this IC 2000 project is complete and I make it available to freely download (with the Re 460 engine to follow,) I'll include information on what printout percentages to use for various sizes.

This will be:
Print at 70.48% = 1:160 N scale
Print at 93.97% = 1:120 TT scale
Print at 129.61% = 1:87 HO scale

Cheers!
Google Adsense

Tags
ic 2000, sbb, train