PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 08-25-2013, 04:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 47.78 MB
SBB IC 2000 InterCity Train

Hello. This is my first papercraft project, and I'll be working on it over the coming months. It's the Swiss IC 2000 double-decker passenger train. I also plan to do one or two variations of its dining car and Re 460 locomotive.

First up is the 1st class car (A.) I'll be making some adjustments to this, but here is the prototype.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
SBB IC 2000 InterCity Train-ic2000_1stclass_1.jpg   SBB IC 2000 InterCity Train-ic2000_1stclass_2.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 08-25-2013, 10:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 52.25 MB
Hi Trainfan,

Looks great! Keep them coming. I miss the Swiss ICs. We moved away from Switzerland two years ago. Your work will be a nice reminder of those good times.

— Martin
▻ S&P: Me Bf. 109-D4 in 1/200; PTA: Marder III H, Pz III L in 1/72
Old 09-02-2013, 06:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Yes, keep them coming.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Swiss locomotives

Hi,
I'm looking for plans of swiss locomotive Re460 / Re465. Now I'm working on that project in CorelDraw to create a paper model in H0 scale(1:87). Maybe someone have any plans?

best regards, Gregory
Old 09-11-2013, 05:52 PM

Welcome to the forum Gregory, but unfortunately I can't help you. Maybe by me giving this a bump, someone who can will see it
Google Adsense
Old 09-16-2013, 07:54 PM

Update: I've been working on making the colors more accurate on the first class car, window adjustments, seam adjustments, and a better internal structure which resists warping.

Bobnetrusky: I will be doing the Re 460 to round out my IC 2000, but I'm saving that for last as it's the most complex to do--I plan to make all my models downloadable upon this project's completion. That will be several months away though. As for Re 460 plans, if you search images.google.com for RE460GRPH.jpg then you'll find the first match is a side profile.

If you need a complete model for reference right now, try another images.google.com search for MegaMoonLiner Re 460, and you'll see one with a Pepsi livery. Scroll towards the bottom of that post and you'll see the traditional red livery version, as well as an uncolored white one.

Cheers!

-- TrainFan M
Old 10-31-2013, 10:53 PM

Since the last update, I've revised various elements on the 1st class car, and built the 2nd class car using those revisions.

The biggest change had me puzzled for some time. I have seen many papercraft train models with the windows shown as grayscale gradients, but a small minority of models had black windows. I struggled if I should recolor the windows to black from the prototype model--I did like the gradients. I went back and forth, and eventually decided to do a compromise which I think worked out. I redid the windows with a very dark gradient, which looked almost black. In hindsight, I think the original lighter gradient made the windows look almost metallic. But now, they're not as distracting. What do you think looks more "realistic?"

I adjusted the panel seams to make them darker, then tried and abandoned various experiments to make the internal structure resist warping. By reading various forum discussions, I think for some people that not having car numbers and information on the sides is considered an insult. Or worse. Not to worry, although it's hard to read, I added the car numbers and information below the bottom windows.

I also researched the colors for better accuracy, and became familiar with the wonderful world of Pantone color in the process. The red and blue should now be spot on, using Pantone Red 032 C and Pantone Reflex Blue C, but I still haven't discovered the correct yellow yet--I decided to go with Pantone 102 C, although it wouldn't surprise me if it's actually Pantone Yellow 012 C. It seems the SBB yellow is ever so slightly orange rather than a pure bold yellow... visions of holding the yellow section of a Pantone color guide against the 1st class car at the station, and getting really strange looks from people. ;-) For those who want to get technical about it, all these color references are for the older Pantone colors, not the newer Pantone+ colors.

OK, enough with all that. Here's the revised 1st class car.

SBB IC 2000 InterCity Train-ic2000_a_1.jpg

SBB IC 2000 InterCity Train-ic2000_a_2.jpg

Here's the 2nd class car.

SBB IC 2000 InterCity Train-ic2000_b_1.jpg

SBB IC 2000 InterCity Train-ic2000_b_2.jpg

One more topic before closing, and that's on getting the mirror symmetry correct on the cars' sides. Researching various elements on the "left" and "right" sides of the cars from photos, plus seeing differences due to upgrades made over time... can bring out lots of inconsistencies and drive one bonkers. Four windows? Five windows? A vent with a cover? A vent without a cover? No vent at all? Aaaaaaaaahh!

From all the reference images I've seen, it appears the 1st and 2nd class cars differ in where the same element appears on the "left" and "right" sides. Have a look at this:

SBB IC 2000 InterCity Train-ic2000_a_b_compare.jpg

The caution strobe location atop each rail car is marked with a green triangle, and its position is reflected nicely on the opposite side. For reference purposes, this strobe can be thought of as marking the "front" of each rail car. Although in reality, it could be the back--who knows really?

The first class car, mostly, does not have the same feature reflected in the same position on the opposite side. The green circles mark diferences in mirror symmetry. On the other hand, the second class car does show mirror symmetry with the same feature reflected in the same position on the opposite side.

For both cars, the SBB logo and panel seams don't have mirror symmetry.

In trying make sense of what has mirror symmetry and what doesn't, you get the feeling that the rail cars were designed so they could be attached "backwards" and still look visually consistant with the other cars. On the whole.

I think that's enough for now, so I'll end with a clue about the next rail car to be built.

It goes a long way when it's both on the top and bottom, doesn't go as far when it's only on the bottom, and sometimes isn't included at all.

Cheers!
Old 11-01-2013, 07:30 AM

Very nicely done. Unfortunately your hint about the next one leaves me next to clueless, but still anxious to see what you have described.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I'm wondering if it has something to do with this: SBB: Car trains: putting your car on the train.

Don
Old 01-05-2014, 09:47 PM

Next up are the Bistro (RB) and Restaurant/Bistro (WRB) rail cars. Food can be purchased on the bottom floor of the RB and WRB cars, but the WRB also has a top floor restaurant where you may sit down and order, like at a restaurant.

It's my understanding that the longer routes get the WRB--but some of the relatively shorter routes don't have either a RB or WRB, like the Zurich HB - Bern route, and the Luzern - Basel route. Go figure.

Anyhow, here's the Bistro car.
SBB IC 2000 InterCity Train-ic2000_rb_1.jpg SBB IC 2000 InterCity Train-ic2000_rb_2.jpg

Here's the Restaurant/Bistro car.
SBB IC 2000 InterCity Train-ic2000_wrb_1.jpg SBB IC 2000 InterCity Train-ic2000_wrb_2.jpg

Now for the interesting part.

During the middle of November 2013, SBB began a trial run of a Starbucks WRB on the Genève-Aéroport - St. Gallen route. Opinion on the subject has ranged from "This is the end of the world!," to "This will never work, it failed before with McDonalds," to "Cool!"

Those of the "Cool!" mindset can find out more here (change the language option at the top if necessary):
sbb.ch/starbucks/

One of the great things about making papercraft models, as opposed to buying HO and N scale models, is that you don't need to wait years for a manufacturer to release a new rail car--you can create it yourself.

So, here's the Starbucks WRB car.
SBB IC 2000 InterCity Train-ic2000_wrb_starbucks_1a.jpg SBB IC 2000 InterCity Train-ic2000_wrb_starbucks_2a.jpg
SBB IC 2000 InterCity Train-ic2000_wrb_starbucks_1b.jpg SBB IC 2000 InterCity Train-ic2000_wrb_starbucks_2b.jpg

As I did with the A and B cars, here's a comparison of the models' sides.
SBB IC 2000 InterCity Train-ic2000_rb-wrb-compare.jpg

The strobe atop each rail car is marked with a green triangle, and this reference object could possibly mark the "front" of the car. One interesting thing is the red horizontal bar (vertical in this orientation) always slants in the same direction on both sides--the rightmost side always slants upwards, from bottom left to top right (tilt your head to see this horizontally.) The bar always slants the same way, even if the rail car is attached "backwards."

For the most part, the cars show mirror symmetry. One notable exception is the position where the horizontal bars start and end on the WRB (the blue arrows.) It looks like this was done to always have the same amount of top windows on each side not touching the red bar--three windows on the left side and two windows on the right side.

The other exception is the size of the Starbucks logo on each side. The logo could have been kept the same size, either both large or both small, but perhaps shifted over a little. Perhaps this was a compromise design between SBB and Starbucks? The logo isn't very subtle on one side. Obviously.

This wraps up part one of this entry. In part two, I'll show the behind-the-scenes work involved in making the RB and WRB models.

Cheers!
Google Adsense

Tags
ic 2000, sbb, train