PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 03-22-2009, 08:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Is this (my first post) a dumb question?

Hi, I have just purchased my first paper model and what could be a real dumb question immediately springs to mind. It`s a Modelik PX48 locomotive and the pages containing the cut-outs appear to be far thinner than I would have expected. Are these pages the actual building material or do I stick them onto card before proceeding? The Polish language instructions don`t give any clues.

Although this is my first PAPER model, I am not new to modelling - having built 1:24 trucks and trailers over many years.

This locomotive is required for the `load` on a 1927 Scammell truck and trailer that I have just scratch built.

Any help or advice will be gratefully received. Jim
Google Adsense
Old 03-22-2009, 10:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 33.47 MB
Yes some of the parts need to be laminated onto cardstock. Usually designated with * or ** and even***. It should say the final thickness somewhere. As for the Polish, I use google's language tools to translate the instructions. Good Luck.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:20 AM

Typically the parts pages printed on regular paper are intended to be laminated to thicker stock (.5mm, 1mm, 2mm, etc). This is usually indicated by the presence of one or more asterisks after part number. The "decoder" for the laminating thickness(es) to be used is usually at the start of the instructions. Look for a phrase like this, "Czesci oznaczone gwiazdka (*) nalezy nakleic na tekture o grubosci do 1 mm." Or you can check the size of the slots on frame pieces and get a good idea of how thick they need to be. For what it's worth 3M 77 or Krylon spray adhesives seem to be the preferred for laminating. You can probably do a search for "laminating" or "laminations" and find lengthy discussions here on the forum. I hope this helps...
Old 03-22-2009, 11:00 AM

Absolutely brilliant. I suppose that I half knew the answer to my question already, but you have cleared up most of the confusion straight away.
* -- brystolem (translates to brystolem) ????
** -- 0.5mm
*** -- 1.0mm
I can only assume that * (brystolem) is less than 0.5mm and therefore is the thickness of the build sheet.

I have an `all-in-one` printer/copier and thought that printing out each sheet and using those to laminate the card was the way to go. Do the rest of you follow this route - or does it have it`s faults?

Many thanks for your help. Jim
Old 03-22-2009, 11:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Brystol basically is the regular card, same thickness as the card the parts are printed on.
You will never go wrong if you have a back up copy. The only drawback might be color difference between original and scanned parts.
Google Adsense
Old 03-22-2009, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckontrucks View Post

This locomotive is required for the `load` on a 1927 Scammell truck and trailer that I have just scratch built.
Jim, how about sharing a few shots of your Scammel?
Old 03-23-2009, 02:30 AM

This is the original vehicle en-route to the docks.

Here is my 1:24 scratch built model.
The tractor unit is in the museum where I work as a volunteer. I was therefore able to take loads of photos and measurements. Only two trailers were ever built and both went for scrap several decades ago.
Having the Scammell size made it simple to get the trailer proportions correct.

Last edited by stuckontrucks; 03-23-2009 at 02:48 AM.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:45 AM

Last edited by stuckontrucks; 03-23-2009 at 02:51 AM.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:48 AM

Wow! Fantastic model! Looks like impressive work all around - research, design, construction, finishing, signage. Bravo! What material(s) did you use?
Old 03-23-2009, 04:50 AM
POTW Editor

Total Downloaded: 76.82 MB
Welcome to the forum! That's an excelent piece of work you've got there...
I don't want to critisize in any way, but is the narrow-gauge Px 48 not to small for your big Scammel ?, I don't know how familiar you are with those Polish papermodels, but this one looks much more like what's in the picture of the original;Steam Engine Locomotive Ty 45 1:25 - angraf
(its the 1-E ty-45 from Angraf)
her's a building thread about an other engine, from the same manufacturer, amazing detail!Polish Steam engine Pt47 in 1:25
Somebody is building it on the kartonbau-forum; http://www.kartonbau.de/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=18990
Attached Thumbnails
Is this (my first post) a dumb question?-7630501.jpg  

Last edited by billy.leliveld; 03-23-2009 at 05:13 AM.
Google Adsense