PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 02-20-2015, 07:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Micromodel tinkering....

For your entertainment then, Art Deco (and for anyone else interested!)
here's something else I made earlier

I'm a huge fan of Micromodels, and fortuitously have everything they ever did on file. The Southern Railway Maunsell brake coach seen in the first pic was never produced, and is basically made up from cut 'n' pasted pieces of the full saloon seen in the second picture. Although these old models are charming with their hand-drawn artwork, the original printed model of the saloon coach I have is terribly out of register print-wise (as some of the models on file are)

So any Micromodel trains I'd like to build are finessed in Photoshop, or, as has been the case with some of the locomotives I've done, completely reworked. When doing a redraw, I use the original artwork as much as possible to keep the 'flavour', but sharpen up linework and more importantly, make sure the model is geometrically accurate - being hand drawn there are discrepancies! Of course, I can never offer these models; as I understand it they are all copyrighted now, but this is for my own pleasure

I put these two built-up coaches on eBay and got the princely sum of 99p for them as I recall, but the buyer was happy and as he has the only brake coach in the world (to my knowledge) outside of my PC hard drive, I reckon that's good value for money

Plumdragon
Attached Thumbnails
0 Gauge in Paper & a Build Thread-coach-2.jpg   0 Gauge in Paper & a Build Thread-coach-1.jpg  
Old 02-23-2015, 09:42 PM

That looks great, it's a perfect match!
Old 02-26-2015, 04:09 PM

Thank you, Art Deco :-) I did enjoy making this, and I love working on these models, however there are other things afoot....
Old 02-26-2015, 04:35 PM

Back to the Coal Truck I

Hello Friends

What with the RME's and hospital visits and whatnot (plus feeling the need to sleep an awful lot of the time!) progress has been steady in the Office, to say the least

But after making a ridiculously tiny piece of 1/144 scale furniture (over in "Other Builds" if anyone's interested!) I felt inspired enough to pick up the lettering on the "Baldwin" Coal Truck, which I abandoned due to the perceived complicatedness, and managed to get one line of script finished! In the end, the easiest way to do the lettering was to simply use a tiny 'brush' in PS and draw them out freehand, much the same as they would've originally been done. Only three more lines to go

Plumdragon
Attached Thumbnails
0 Gauge in Paper & a Build Thread-wb-2.jpg  
Old 02-26-2015, 09:14 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Hooray! Progress in any form is still progress.
Google Adsense
Old 02-27-2015, 02:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 44.75 MB
Nice job on the freehand lettering! I know how time consuming and tedious that can be.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:06 PM

back to the Coal Truck II

Firstly, thank you to Elliott & Pgtaylorart for your encouraging words
I have been slowly crawling my way across the side of the wagon, and the result is a full four lines of script! Time-consuming it certainly was, but the results, I think, are worth the effort. It just looks badly done

After this, there is the highlighting to finish on the planking and fittings, and a fair bit of reworking on the undeframe, the whole being somewhat shorter than the ''Milton' truck previously done. And I though it would be a straightforward cut and paste job....

Plumdragon
Attached Thumbnails
0 Gauge in Paper & a Build Thread-wb-3.jpg  
Old 03-02-2015, 09:53 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Your transcription, as it were, of the original looks just the way it should - hand lettered. It's not badly done it's just the nature of the thing. What I'm doing a poor job of saying is that yours is an exact replica - the holy grail of many modelers. Well done!
Old 03-03-2015, 12:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 44.75 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott View Post
Your transcription, as it were, of the original looks just the way it should - hand lettered. It's not badly done it's just the nature of the thing. What I'm doing a poor job of saying is that yours is an exact replica - the holy grail of many modelers. Well done!
Yes, I agree, it looks hand lettered just like it should, not like a computer font.
It was kind of a blessing in disguise that you had to do it the hard way.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:50 PM

Thank you both, your comments are very much appreciated :-)

Stepping back, so to speak, from having my nose pressed to the monitor screen and now viewing the thing as a whole, I find I'm rather pleased with it :-) Fortuitously, I've found no other wagon similarly over-written for a possible future project!

Recalling when I worked on bus coachwork repair, I knew a lad who did signwriting, and I was constantly amazed at how he produced such excellent fonts, with the barest of 'marking out' to start with. A few horizontal lines, the start of each line of script, and the top & bottom of any 'O's and 'S's were chalk marked beforehand, and off he went.... Me, I can't draw a vertical straight line to save my life, which came in handy with this one anyway :-)

I'm currently working on some 2mm Scale models for a gift for my Brother, and thought about starting a new thread devoted to these and any other past or future designs in that scale; It's a different way of working and for fans of that scale it may be better to keep things separate - do you agree?

Plumdragon
Google Adsense