PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 03-03-2015, 07:17 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
It's probably best to keep them separate to avoid confusion and excessively long threads. Your call of course. There are no hard and fast rules about it.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I have nothing to contribute on the issue of one or two threads, but belatedly want to say how impressed I am with your hand lettering.

All of your projects reminds me of the things I read about in the 1940s through the 60s in British ship, railway, and aviation modeling magazines. It's all wonderful stuff and I am grateful to be able to see your work and hear your explanations.

Don
Old 03-04-2015, 04:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thanks Elliott, I'll take your advice! As to excessively long threads, when does this one start to fall into that category?? ;-)

Don, thank you for the kind comment :-) I'm so pleased you find this of interest; It's a pleasure to share my hobby :-) Interesting that you 'backdate' my work so much - and I stress I take that as a compliment! - because I learned from my late Father, who was very much a product of those times, whittling model Spitfires from solid wood and the like, and although I have the greatest respect for designers who use the latest software and produce exquisite models thus, I'm very 'Old School' at heart :-D

Plumdragon
Old 03-04-2015, 07:21 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Depends on the thread. Some just have a natural continuity and develop a life all their own. In my book (no hard and fast rules remember?) excessively long is when one build ends and another begins with no effort to start a new thread. Makes it difficult to find a particular build thread that way. Mind you, this is my opinion only, not a rule.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:16 PM

A Peek into My World....

Firstly, though, thanks to Elliott for the advice! N Gauge (and Signalboxes) will henceforth be found in their own threads! As to this one, I'm likening it to my filing system - somewhat disorganised, but it's all in one place

Anyhow, here's a picture of my bench, with all I really need to build paper models; a few basic tools, good light, watercolour paints, the all-important cup of coffee, and parts of the 'Baldwin' coal truck variously strewn around. That's being built up now, so pictures of the finished article should be forthcoming soon

What you don't see is the ancient PC tower and CRT monitor; I have tried working PS7 on a laptop, and just can't get on with the letterbox format screen, or the bizarre effects from the way the light reacts to the screen. But enough of that, let's on with the cutting and gluing

Plumdragon
Attached Thumbnails
0 Gauge in Paper & a Build Thread-bench.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 03-08-2015, 07:41 AM

A very pleasant and tidy model building venue. Is that the stub of a Derwent pencil I see?

And after you finish cleaning your brushes, you can have an egg for breakfast.

Don
Old 03-11-2015, 06:21 AM

Back to the Coal truck III

And well spotted, Don! That stubby little pencil is ancient, much like most of my other tools

Here now is an update on work so far. What you see is everything needed for the final assembly of the 'Baldwin' truck; construction is much the same as the other wagons featured in this thread, and you'll notice the buffer stocks wrapped around cocktail sticks ready for trimming, and the inner planking which is affixed to some scraps of mountboard. The end pieces of the inner planking are trimmed to fit after the sides go in to ensure they're a nice snug fit.

In line with my recent 'upgrades', this wagon gets it's brake shoes, although, again, on one side only as the original was built in 1906 before standardisation. I struggled with this model because the dimensions were given as being a good 1ft shorter than the 'Milton' truck; I had to assume the wheelbase was shorter, and although I scaled it out as best I could from the single photograph I have, something is 'not quite right' dimensionally on the underframe. That's determined by looking at the 'gaps' and relation between each part - I wound up having to juggle a few bits to squeeze things in, although I'm sure the parts of the real thing are all standard in size and placement.... such are the compromises of paper modeling sometimes

Plumdragon
Attached Thumbnails
0 Gauge in Paper & a Build Thread-wb-5.jpg  
Old 03-11-2015, 11:45 AM

Back to the Coal Truck IV

Or, you can have it any colour, so long as it's black Well, very very dark grey, if you like....

A few hours later, and here's another wagon for the railway The lettering on the other side is not quite the same - it needed spacing differently to fit around the strapping, this being unequal due to the door fitted to one end. You can see the details of the end door in one of the pictures.

Interesting to compare the two wagons side by side; the difference in length is quite noticeable when viewed thus, though not readily apparent when seen individually. All I need now is some black crepe paper, so I can spend an hour or so scrunching up little pieces of 0 Gauge coal

Plumdragon
Attached Thumbnails
0 Gauge in Paper & a Build Thread-wb-6.jpg   0 Gauge in Paper & a Build Thread-wb-7.jpg   0 Gauge in Paper & a Build Thread-wb-8.jpg  
Old 03-11-2015, 12:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
More of the first-rate builds that we've come to expect.

Thanks for sharing
Old 03-11-2015, 12:00 PM

Very beautiful. Those wagons have a lot of character- and characters.

Don
Google Adsense