PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 02-19-2015, 03:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 11.18 MB
Italian railgun 381/40 AVS

Hi to all,
new year has brought new modelling contest on the italian site modellismopiù. The contest is about the italian front during the First World War. The model I chose is this italian railgun, built at the beginning of the 1917 and used only 'till the end of the war.
You can find information on this railgun to this page of Wikypedia
Is in Italian but I have this not found in english.

I started with the wheels: diameter 1 meter, italian standard gauge 1435 mm.
14 axles divided into three bogies. A load for each axis about of 15 ton.

That's what I did........
Attached Thumbnails
Italian railgun 381/40 AVS-72jhgnw.jpg   Italian railgun 381/40 AVS-381-40-1-.jpg   Italian railgun 381/40 AVS-381-40-2-.jpg   Italian railgun 381/40 AVS-381-40-3-.jpg   Italian railgun 381/40 AVS-381-40-4-.jpg  

Italian railgun 381/40 AVS-381-40-5-.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 02-19-2015, 04:10 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
You're off to a good start Enrico. Got the wheels out of the way at the beginning. Smart!
Old 02-19-2015, 04:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Interesting gun. Did a search for AVS 381/40 gun and found a few places with some information. Looks like your model of the gun will turn out very good.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 7.16 MB
This will be a nice piece of cardboard. You rule man. i sit down and watch.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
The Italian Wikipedia page seems say that the Italian Army were loaned Schneider railway guns with the 340mm L/45 gun. Although it seems as though
the Italian guns were built by Ansaldo the design looks very similar to the Schneider "a glissement" guns.

There is a mistake in the Wikipedia article - it says the blocks were jacked down onto the track to form the recoil absorbing mechanism. This isn't true - the Schneider system used a pair of I-beams laid alongside the rails. I've got a scan of the manual of the Schneider railway guns (somewhere) - if interested just ask.

It also looks as the Italian gun kept the overhead transport rail to move the projectiles from the ammunition car to the gun breech.

Regards,

Charlie
Google Adsense
Old 02-19-2015, 09:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Splendid wheels! That's a lot of work for each one, but they came out so well, they have a very solid appearance. And as usual, your painting/finishing work is outstanding. This promises to be another amazing model.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
A great subject!! I think from the website you are building it in 1/35? Legend!!
Old 02-20-2015, 01:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 83.64 MB
One of my dream modls!
Old 02-20-2015, 05:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
A close examination of the image of the 381/40 AVS seems to show the gun barrel was mounted in a cradle. Unusually the railway gun clearly has the Schneider system of blocks as well. I guess the recoil cylinders on the cradle weren't enough to absorb the gun's recoil.

I guess I should explain just in case anyone's interested in this old tech.

Shipboard naval gun barrels don't have trunnions since the barrel has to be removable from a close fitting turret. The barrel is mounted on a cradle and the cradle has the trunnions to provide the pivot points for the barrel elevation. Usually the barrel can slide back in the cradle on firing but is restrained by the recoil cylinders mounted between the barrel and the cradle. When the naval gun barrels were used ashore as railway guns the French adopted two approaches.

One was to use a cradle as if the gun was mounted in a turret, the other, Schneider design, was to add trunnions to the barrel and mount the barrel directly on the railway gun carriage. The recoil was absorbed by laying additional rails parallel to the normal rails and jacking wooden blocks onto the auxiliary rails which took the whole weight of the gun. On firing the whole gun would slide back (in French - glissement). After firing a number of shots the blocks were jacked up and the gun shunted back to the start position on the track. Typically a Schneider railway gun would slide back about a metre for each shot. The Schneider system was cheap and adaptable to a wide range of guns. I haven't counted them but I think the French deployed about 30+ different types of railway gun in WW1.

Regards,

Charlie

Last edited by elliott; 02-20-2015 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Hit Edit instead of Quote - Sorry
Old 02-20-2015, 06:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 11.18 MB
Hello everyone and thank you for the attention that you dedicated me

@SJPONeill: yes, I forgot to indicate it is in 1/35 scale.

@Art Deco: at the end are many pieces but for a good result, there are no alternatives!!

@CharlieC: the system of recoil absorption provide 4 hydraulic pistons and two compressed air regenerators.
The system of support on the poutrelles parallel to the rails absorbing the recoil transmitted to the whole wagon.
I saw that this system of sliding is identical to that of the French guns that you have mentioned.I'd love see your material of this parts!Thanks
Google Adsense