PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 03-02-2015, 04:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.66 MB
Millimodels set GCS2 Great Central goods train

I am now at the test build stage for my next model. This is a Great Central Railway goods train circa 1905, and will be set GCS2.
Unless I come across real problems it will be a 9J class 0-6-0 (LNER J11), known as pom-poms, with a train consisting of a dropside wagon, a double bolster wagon, a 15' wheelbase van and a 15 ton 6 wheel brake van.

In case you don't know my Millimodels are in the style of the Micromodels railway sets but to a constant scale of 1/200.

I intend to put up photos of the test build to show how it goes together. Ther may be a few mods made before the finished product comes out. I have already
decided that there is not enough contrast on the loco chassis sides/wheels.

I'll get some photos up once I have got them off the camera!

Robin Madge
Google Adsense
Old 03-06-2015, 02:19 PM

Looks like my photos are too big to upload to a gallery here so will have to think again about how I do this.
Robin
Old 03-07-2015, 06:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I'm really looking forward to seeing these models come together :-) Having seen your other work, I'm impressed by the unusual subjects chosen as well as the quality of the work itself :-)

Hope you get the file sizes sorted. Just out of interest, I have a 'blank' Jpeg picture in Photoshop which is 800x600px at 300 dpi resolution, onto which I cut and paste all my photographs, working drawings, or anything I need to show as an image. It makes all the pictures I post a uniform size, and I don't have to worry at all about how big the original image is - it's just shrunk to fit the 'standard' blank canvas. Although, you might be under Admin 'approval' for posting pictures if you haven't been on here for a while, but you'd have to ask someone else about that one....

Plumdragon
Old 03-08-2015, 03:00 PM

Well, if this works I should have worked out how to get my photos in view.

This should show the first step of folding up the chassis block. I always include some wood inside to give it a bit more rigidity and a little bit of weight, you can lose things if you sneeze at this scale. Here I have used two layers cut from ice lolly sticks.
Old 03-08-2015, 03:02 PM

Trying again as the first link has not worked.
Google Adsense
Old 03-08-2015, 03:42 PM

Right, trying a different method.

After folding up the chassis with a wood core I cut out the footplate and centre the chassis block below it then fix the sides on that depict the wheels, frames and brake gear.

The next stage is to cut out and fold up the cab, which has an inner layer showing the boiler backhead and the controls. There is an extra layer for the roof which is marked with the whistle position near the front edge. If I were to glaze the cab windows I would cut out the openings before cutting out the cab from the card. In this case I was going for a quicker build to prove the alignment of parts etc.

The cab is attached to the footplate and the firebox is folded up.

Following the firebox the boiler and smokebox are made up and the three units joined together using the line of the handrails to make sure that they are at the same angle. The smokebox door is a separate part fixed to the front. Also shown here is the piece rather like a shallow tray that the smokebox stand on. This depicts the part of the mainframes that protrudes above the footplate and also the cover at the front that hides the cylinder heads.
Attached Thumbnails
Millimodels set GCS2 Great Central goods train-photo-2001.jpg   Millimodels set GCS2 Great Central goods train-photo-2002.jpg   Millimodels set GCS2 Great Central goods train-photo-2003.jpg   Millimodels set GCS2 Great Central goods train-photo-2004.jpg   Millimodels set GCS2 Great Central goods train-photo-2005.jpg  

Old 03-08-2015, 04:05 PM

Next session.

Having mounted the boiler assembly onto the footplate the chimney and dome are made up and fitted. The safety valve mounting is not thick enough here, I should have added an extra thickness or two of card (noted on the final model). I have also added the extra layer of the coupling rods to the wheels at this point but it is not obvious.

Next step was to fit the valances each side below the footplate, but I leave the steps until later. The splashers over the wheels are made up and fitted now. I make the top strip overlength and cut it off when stuck which makes a neater job.

Final details for the loco are buffers from cocktail sticks (note that they are black on this loco not the more usual red of the buffer beam) with buffer heads added. The steps have been fitted and the reversing lever is out of sight on the other side. The safety valves and the whistle have been made from wood and the cabside number plates fitted. A fine drill down the centre of the chimney and some touching up with acrylic paint. Note that I have fitted vertical handrails at the back of each can sidesheet from wire.

The tender starts off with the same sort of construction as the loco, a block with a footplate and wheels on the sides. The outside frames do need some cutouts made in order to look good.

There are extra pieces for the axlebox covers. The main body of the tender is a fold up open box. The tender top is a similar shape and folds down into the main body from above. The tender valances are in place.

The tender front has been attached. It folds out and forward at the bottom and has location marks for the two sandboxes D and E. The toolboxes A and B are ready to go on as is the water filler C.

With all the boxes fitted into place you can see why the cross tender plate at the rear of the coal space is in two parts. For most tenders this is a single piece across the tender but the toolboxes are staggered on this one.

The loco and tender are now shown complete with some more touching up of paint and the buffers etc. fitted. There is a brake standard from a piece of wire.

Next to build the goods train.
Attached Thumbnails
Millimodels set GCS2 Great Central goods train-photo-2006.jpg   Millimodels set GCS2 Great Central goods train-photo-2007.jpg   Millimodels set GCS2 Great Central goods train-photo-2008.jpg   Millimodels set GCS2 Great Central goods train-photo-2009.jpg   Millimodels set GCS2 Great Central goods train-photo-2010.jpg  

Millimodels set GCS2 Great Central goods train-photo-2011.jpg   Millimodels set GCS2 Great Central goods train-photo-2012.jpg   Millimodels set GCS2 Great Central goods train-photo-2014.jpg  
Old 03-08-2015, 04:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 3.47 GB
Interesting looking build.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Nice work in such a small scale.

Don
Old 03-09-2015, 04:05 PM

The first vehicle to be test built from the goods train is the brake van.

This has a chassis block that I once more have filled with a piece of wood for rigidity. The axle box assembly fits underneath this centrally and the wheels assembly underneath this again. The V axles are glued in place between each pair of wheels as a reasonably accurate way of getting things square.

In the next photo the solebars and steps supports have been fixed to the sides of the chassis and the body folded up. The false roof will eventually be out of sight. I once more have not gone to the trouble of cutting out windows and glazing them for this build.

The next step is to mount the body on the chassis and to fit the internal and external ends, meaning the ends of the body part and the ends of both verandas. The veranda ends are in two layers so that detail can be shown on both faces and also give extra strength. The outside skin is longer and has the headstocks with the buffer positions marked. One end has had the two layers fixed together and the other has not been done yet. Note that one end of the van only has steps up the outside and a handrail on the roof.
I have decided that I shall also be supplying a set of parts for lining the interior of the sides of the verandas to give more detail.

The next photo shows the roof ready to go on the completed bodyshell. I use an old mouse mat and a cylindrical pencil to roll roof profiles to a gentle curve. Somehow you always find that you need to pay more attention to the parts of the roof nearest to the long edges otherwise you end up with a kind of parabola where it should be part of a circle!

The last photo shows the completed van with the steps fitted (side and end ones), a chimney from a sleeve off some electrical wire, a wire roof handrail and some tail lamps from wood. The side ones were on a pivot and could be swung into position as required. From memory, the side lamps would show a light to the front so that the loco crew could check that they had a complete train. Buffers are also fitted and touching up done with paint.
Attached Thumbnails
Millimodels set GCS2 Great Central goods train-photo-2015.jpg   Millimodels set GCS2 Great Central goods train-photo-2016.jpg   Millimodels set GCS2 Great Central goods train-photo-2017.jpg   Millimodels set GCS2 Great Central goods train-photo-2018.jpg   Millimodels set GCS2 Great Central goods train-photo-2019.jpg  

Google Adsense

Tags
micromodels, millimodels, rail, test build