PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 05-09-2015, 04:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.57 MB
Why there are so few train models available for free on the web?

There are A LOT of highly detailed Sci-Fi models available on the web for free but there are only a few free kits of locomotives. What could be the reason?

Maybe I haven't found them? I know Canon has a few nice models, zioprudenzio had one .. that's pretty much it. Let me know if you know any other.
Google Adsense
Old 05-09-2015, 05:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 102.95 MB
JR west has a few. They are fairly simple but can be made more detailed fairly easily. I also had trouble finding trains. Then I came across a long list of available trains. I can't find it now but I think maybe Ninjatoes posted it on a blog somewhere. Anyhow there are a fair few out there.
Old 05-09-2015, 11:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 24.66 MB
Many of the train models are on japanese sites.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hello Hihik :-) Just a thought here, related to my years of dealing with the paper model market. I believe that most model railroaders are exactly that, preferring 'live' running models, and with there being a vast amount of stock and eras and price options out there, it's relatively easy for a railfan to make a working model railroad of his favourite subject - and any gaps in his stock are filled by a wealth of 'aftermarket' kits and detailing options. For aero modelers, the smaller scales (I'm talking plastic kits here) are affordanble and don't take up too much space, and that group have always been satisfied with 'static' models, whilst flyguys go for the real flying models (and the expense incurred!) It's the same with auto subjects, a fan can go to a hobby shop and generally find something he likes, and the satisfaction is in building and displaying the model and not necessarily making it operate like the real thing.

Where the paper models come in is usually to fill a gap; so you get a lot of Sci-Fi models in paper because a) there is a huge potential market and b) they generally cost a small fortune in resin or plastic. And with aero subjects you will find models that just aren't available in any other medium. But, and this is my point, there just isn't a market for paper trains! Or at least, it's a very niche market. Why would a designer spend time making a model train when this is so? Usually because they themselves like the subject, and just to repeat myself, why would a railfan get a paper model when he would naturally prefer to see his trains running round a layout?

All that being said, here's some practical advice that may be of use. Personally, I very rarely do an internet search for websites, I will 99.9% of the time do an 'image' search. Try this, search for 'free paper model trains' and you're bound to come up with something. I found half a dozen modern diesel and stock models for free in the space of five minutes searching this way, plus you see the pics of the subjects and can straight away 'home in' on anything that takes your fancy.... It's not all free, of course, and there can be a lot to sift through, but this is for me at any rate by far the easiest way to find free paper models on the 'net.

Hope that might've been of use :-)

Plumdragon
Old 05-10-2015, 08:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 59.62 MB
Well said, Plumdragon! My only further suggestion would be taking advantage of the link-collection sites, such as Papermau, Paper Museum, and even Paper Replika. (I'll bet you could find even more through a general search for "paper model links.") These sites all let you search for trains, then give you the corresponding links to multiple sources.
Google Adsense
Old 05-10-2015, 11:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 198.27 MB
The SpaceStation42 website lists many train models:
Trains, Buses & Street Cars Free Paper Toys
Old 05-10-2015, 11:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 198.27 MB
Train paper models can also be found by a Google search for "train papercraft".
Look at Images.
https://www.google.com/search?q=trai...ed=0CAcQ_AUoAQ
Old 05-10-2015, 12:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
One thing that always kept me away from designing trains, even when I sat in a railroad freight yard with nothing to do for 10 hours a day was all the small parts and fiddly bits. The trucks (the wheel assemblies) had all kinds of springs, chains, cylinders, plates, etc that had to be included to look right. And even flat cars have brakesystems, rods, tanks, cylinders, grab bars, brake wheels, etc that would need to be included. A Locomotive has lots of tanks, bells, whistles, cylinders, chains, and fiddly bits I still never figured out what they were there for. Not to mention most railroads (US ones anyway) are very protective of their copyright. It just wasn't worth the effort to me to put the effort into designing a good model, then not be able to make some money to offset the effort.

Many, many years ago, I designed a model of a Sperry rail detection vehicle based off of an HO one I had in Union Pacific markings. I tried to offer it to them, and was told I needed yo pay $5000 for the copyright fee to use their name and colors.