PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 10-11-2015, 01:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
Hello OgdenBob,
the more people show their interest in a download version, the better. But: a possible 1/25 download version would have to be printed on an A3 (large) printer. Same for our planned O-gauge model: it is too large for A4. Not many people have such a printer available, so they will have to find a suitable print shop. This limits the number of potential buyers. So again, much depends on how many people send a mail to reserve a copy.

And to give everyone an impression: designer Cor van Haasteren has been working on this (on and off, of course) far almost a year now. Extra work (different scales!) is only worthwhile with a certain amount of reservations!

About paper sizes: a few years ago I wrote tutorial on paper model design, with a bit about paper sizes:

Size and thickness / weight of paper
Amazing, really, how few hobby designers seem to realize that paper, and ink, cost money and trees. I have regularly come across models spread over a dozen or so pages, which might easily have been 'compressed' into at most half a dozen. Or a model where the instructions took up considerably more pages than the model itself, all filled with dozens of colour pictures. Good for producers of ink and toners, not so good for us.
Have a look at these measurements first. They are the actual paper sizes.

A4 210 x 297 mms 8.27 x 11.69 in
Letter 215,9 x 279,4 mms 8.5 x 11 in
A3 297 X 420 mms 11.69 x 16.54 in
Ledger / Tabloid 276 x 432 mms 11 x 17 in

1. The world standard size is A4, the Americans use Letter. Most designers work with either of these two sizes. Larger models are sometimes printed on A3 and Ledger / Folio. Not a good solution, as very few people have a printer that size - and printing at a copy shop is expensive.
2. The difference between A4 and Letter regularly leads to worried, and often confused questions and discussions on various forums about their compatibility. This is why I strongly advise to opt for my 'Advised Size', and to mention this at the top of every page of your model: 'print on A4 or Letter'. Believe me: it will set a lot of people's minds at rest.
3. In the rest of the world, paper weight is simply measured in grams per square metre. Life is too short to understand or explain the USA system of points and pounds... Rule of thumb: use the two sorts of paper that are most easily found. I find 160 grams/mē very suitable, but some people prefer 140 or even 120. The final decision is up to the builder who downloads and prints your model, but if you (the designer) have reason to advise a particular weight, mention it at the top of the page.
Regular printer paper 80 grams/mē For text, instructions, small parts, parts to be laminated onto card
Maximum weight for most printers 160 grams/mē Suitable for most model parts
Old 10-11-2015, 03:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 125.32 MB
Hi Diderick,
Thank you for clearing things up for me and maybe for some others here too. If it's too big for A4 then I can't use it. I have no interest in 1/25th scale either, due to lack of space.
Even when something is designed for A4, I often have to print it out on 8.5"x14" or reduce the scale, which I don't like to do. I do so agree with you about the mysteries of the US paper system, I heard an explanation once, but it didn't make a lot of sense to me. I wish we could have a universal paper system throughout the world, but I'm not holding my breath till that happens!
I'm still interested in the pre-printed O scale version and thank you for the valuable information on paper sizes and thicknesses. I must have missed that post the first time around.

Bob
Old 10-12-2015, 09:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 32.35 MB
1/24 models and using Letter size paper

For me, the trick is to model small engines and cars. Industrial "Lokis" and 4 wheel cars work great even in 1/2" scale.
I also have a program called Model Builder which allows the model to be printed on up to 4 sheets of letter size paper. I believe Adobe also allows straightforward enlargement.

Again the trick is to model small engines in large scale.
Just my 2 cents.
otherDoc
Old 10-12-2015, 10:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Still looking forward to this model - whatever the scale

Tim
Old 10-12-2015, 02:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 7.16 MB
Looks promising. Can't wait to see final look
Google Adsense
Old 10-13-2015, 01:47 AM

Taking shape! And color. The blue has been a headache. Various pictures and HO-gauge models show very different shades of blue. Some are very glossy, others are matte.
It turns out that in real life a new coat of paint was a lot darker than one of several years old - the blue faded seriously. And pictures of today's locomotive always look very glossy: it is regularly cleaned and polished with loving care and lots of cotton wool - the old engines were never that shiny.
Attached Thumbnails
A-4 Pacific, Sir Nigel Gresley-gresley_printscreen_36.jpg  
Old 10-13-2015, 09:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Don't know what you mean:

Tim
Old 10-13-2015, 01:33 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
The old engines (except at the end) were shiny!
Old 11-19-2015, 04:31 AM

Just to keep you informed: we are now at the very exciting stage where the model is in fact finished - see sample below. Designer Cor van Haasteren is putting the last touches to the instruction sketches. We have decided on scale. Price will be between 20 and 25 EUR, a bit more in USD.

O gauge (or O-scale) is not a simple thing - Wikipedia has very detailed information on this. What it boils down to is this:
UK: 1:43.5
Continental Europe: between 1:45 and 1:43.5
USA: 1:48

Of course, this being very much a British model, we would have liked to go for 1:43.5. However, this would have meant either using a non standard paper size, or cutting up some of the larger parts. We opted for 1:48 for the simple reason that it exactly fits standard A4 size paper.

Purists who insist in one of the other two scales can decide to buy the print-yourself files. USA customers can adapt scale to available paper size (Letter or Ledger).

Reservations are very welcome: if you flood me, the price will come down! Send me a pm, or mail me at da.denbakker(at)planet.nl
Attached Thumbnails
A-4 Pacific, Sir Nigel Gresley-gresleyvoorbeeld.jpg  
Old 11-23-2015, 01:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 69.70 MB
I'm very interested in Your model. Especially when 0 scale is my favorite.
Google Adsense