PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 01-26-2016, 08:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Armoured car ob3 (bp1) - gpm 1:25

Hi,
here a little kit I just got with my last order. I wanted to do something simple for ones, so here it is : 40's Armoured railway car Ob-3 by gpm in 1:25, with lasercut. By the way, kit cover shows bp1 when the lasercut is ob-3

So it's basically an armoured box on top of a railway car with 2 t-26 turrets, plus 2 more 12.5mm on the side.
How much ? kit is around 11.5€ as lasercut. Both for 20€

1) kit
Kit present itself in classic Gpm, A4 paper, 180g (0.22mm) Model is really simple - but still nice details - length is 28cm

* Instruction in polish
* Few colours pictures of a model
* 3 pages of diagrams, good size. Model is really simple. So far no complain
* 6 pages for parts plus some more on back of instruction (the track) Seem a lot but in fact the kit has not so many part, just a few "big". 2 pages for the railway, 1 for both turret, 2 for the hull, 1 for the rest.
* 4 pages for frame. I will use lasercut

2) Laser cut.
6 A4 pages on 1mm, 1/2 pages on 0.5mm. There's just few parts missing to glue on 0.2mm. Most is for the main hull frame
Note all bold are included - and there's a lot !

3) Build.
Started by the frame (!) nothing special, parts fit well, a lot of sand papering. I decided too glue the 2 12.5mm box before glueing the top for easier access.
Important note, the bottom must be glued before the bottom side frame. I never worked with so much big parts, I decided to use spray glue instead (obviously not to do in the office but in the garage ) as ansercoll dry too fast.
Cut the side I'm going to add them next.

Bye
Attached Thumbnails
Armoured car ob3 (bp1) - gpm 1:25-img_5926_1.jpg   Armoured car ob3 (bp1) - gpm 1:25-img_5935_1.jpg   Armoured car ob3 (bp1) - gpm 1:25-img_5940_1.jpg   Armoured car ob3 (bp1) - gpm 1:25-img_5944_1.jpg   Armoured car ob3 (bp1) - gpm 1:25-img_5949_1.jpg  

Armoured car ob3 (bp1) - gpm 1:25-img_5954_1.jpg   Armoured car ob3 (bp1) - gpm 1:25-img_5961_1.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 01-26-2016, 11:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 69.70 MB
Well, you're right, that's kind of "box on rails", but looks interesting especially with winter camo. I'm interested in this theme cuz I'm planning to build the same car in 1:45 scale.
Carry on!
Proud member of: Bielska Strefa Modelarska
Old 02-02-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcin Jakubiec View Post
Well, you're right, that's kind of "box on rails", but looks interesting especially with winter camo. I'm interested in this theme cuz I'm planning to build the same car in 1:45 scale.
Carry on!
hi,
the camo is really well done with lot of detail and contrast. Cover give a some kind of blueish look when the kit is in the brown for the hull, and a little more green for the turrets. I actually prefer as it

So some more work.
I advanced further by glueing the main hull. Big part here, edges must be perfect or the model would be basically dead !
I decided to use a different technique. First, sharpen the edge with sandpaper, then paint, also the frame. I didn't glue on the frame directly, but used spray glue, so paper is more 'stick' to the cardboard than glued. This allow me to reposition the parts, then I glued the edge with amsercoll - each to each,to the frame too, this close the hull. This glue is like a "mastic" and also dissolve the paint, this create a perfect thin join.
Positioning, always an issue, on 30cm, little gap mostly inevitable. Sides and top are in two parts. I decided to start from the top, next front/bottom, then both sides using the 2 turrets and 12.5mm as reference. I decided to create a little gap - around 0.2mm between the 2 parts in order to get better "edge", it's barely noticeable (thank to the camo ).

Bolts. Lot to add but would be a shame not to add them, specially it's all included on the laser cut ! (and they're big, easy to put) - btw, not present on the model in cover.
So here the unexpected characteristic of this model : painting time ! actually a lot, I'm guessing I spent around 60% of the time painting, no less than 10 different colours, including white, never would I had bet on using this colour with paper modelling
Bolt is work in progress. I'm just applying a basic colour, then must do each individually in order to match the camo.

Also done the 'wheel'. I simply Used the laser cut, add a little wide - this model do take the paper size into account - and used airbrush. First a primer, light grey, then several layer, dark kaki, more black on the external side, with some gloss, for the interior I applied some light sand. Should have stop here but I thought I light aluminium on the running path would have been nice. Bad Idea. wrong mix, bad technique, anyway, not what I was looking for . I cut the losses and keep then as it, not 'so bad', and just 5mm of them can be seen

Now working on the door, more bolt to paint and starting the 2 turrets.

Bye.
Attached Thumbnails
Armoured car ob3 (bp1) - gpm 1:25-img_5966_1.jpg   Armoured car ob3 (bp1) - gpm 1:25-img_5995_1.jpg   Armoured car ob3 (bp1) - gpm 1:25-img_5993_1.jpg   Armoured car ob3 (bp1) - gpm 1:25-img_5999_1.jpg  
Old 02-02-2016, 04:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Nice!

Don
Old 02-02-2016, 09:01 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Your painting and weathering is top-notch. Keep up the good work!
Google Adsense
Old 02-03-2016, 01:11 AM

IMHO the best solution for bare metal parts of railway wheels is buffed Humbrol 27003
Old 02-08-2016, 09:32 AM

Hi all, thanks for comments.
Work of the week. most of the hull is done, just some ladder to add, also started the turret.

No difficulties. parts fit well, just get short of 9 bolts Used some modelik's 1mm. By the way, with modelik length is outer size, for gpm is inner size

The turret. Again, perfect fit, glued top and bottom then rolled the side starting by the back. Note on the t26 the mantlet is not centred. A little problem doing it. Base is a 1mm plus a 0.5mm cardboard. the last is wider, what doesn't make any sense ; 'skin' won't fit after 'shaping' both to the correct shape I just cut it, what seems to by ok . The six bolt are not included on the lasercut (gpm 1mm) I may add some rivets, will see.

So It's almost done, I starting working on the base, I'm going to so something from scratch.
Attached Thumbnails
Armoured car ob3 (bp1) - gpm 1:25-img_6010_1.jpg   Armoured car ob3 (bp1) - gpm 1:25-img_6020_1.jpg   Armoured car ob3 (bp1) - gpm 1:25-img_6032_1.jpg   Armoured car ob3 (bp1) - gpm 1:25-img_6039_1.jpg   Armoured car ob3 (bp1) - gpm 1:25-img_6013_1.jpg  

Armoured car ob3 (bp1) - gpm 1:25-img_6029_1.jpg  
Old 03-13-2016, 03:48 PM

Hi for an update !

So what's new : I was looking for a display plinth. Since I can't found anything that fit my need - at least on a decent budget ! - I decided to work on one from scratch. After several sketches Here the one, just plain simple. It's going to be a wood base with 4 slots - 5mm deep - for glass side (2mm). On the base I also glued all around pieces of oak. Between the wood and glass, that cost me around 50€ (with 25€ just for the oak)

Next, I put some more wood, around 8mm, where the track belong to create some height and paint everything to simulate some ground.

I made the sleepers from balsa, cut with cutter, shaped a little bit for more realism.

At last ballast. Big laugh, well not really . There's some product around there but not only I was not really up to buy expensive "rocks" from internet, I found nothing in 1:25. So next step, alternative solution. Sand, too tiny, fish tank gravel, went to several shop, but it's doesn't work, wrong colour, not sharp enough.
Finally, I made it myself from granite. All you need is an hammer (heavy one), google, 2 sieves (around 5mm and 2mm), a 25kg bag of gravel from you local garden store (7€, well guess enough for a life time ), and ... time ! For the model, around 6h.
I started gluing it. Found a recipe on a railway model forum. 50% white/wood glue, 50% water and few drop of soap/cleaner. Perplex at first, It works perfectly. Place the ballast, apply glue on it with a brush, let dry.

Some more to do, the track and it will be done.
Attached Thumbnails
Armoured car ob3 (bp1) - gpm 1:25-20160225_025b_1.jpg   Armoured car ob3 (bp1) - gpm 1:25-20160227_009_1.jpg   Armoured car ob3 (bp1) - gpm 1:25-img_6286_1.jpg  
Old 03-13-2016, 05:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.23 GB
Outstanding work, and great write-up with photos!!
Old 03-14-2016, 01:17 AM

Looks fine, but... it's too big for me
Google Adsense

Tags
kit, pages, parts, frame, lasercut, railway, glue, lot, armoured, model, side, gpm, simple, car, instruction, bp1, note, decided, 12.5mm, big, bottom, hull, ob-3, box, cut