PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 07-11-2016, 07:56 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Can't recall when I've enjoyed a thread so much. More please!
Old 07-11-2016, 08:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
New Orleans Square.

Just 2 little building initially: The Silver Banjo Barbecue and the Haunted Mansion. Well...sort of. Half of a haunted mansion really...or is it a half haunted mansion? Well it wasn't either one as it was Aunt Jemima's Pancake House!

Anyways. It's gone now and there's a new New Orleans Square:

This was just completed and you guys are the first to see it! There's only one Haunted Mansion now and it's the full building this time.

There's a super swanky restaurant in NOS that's very expensive and very exclusive called Club 33. Since it costs plenty to join the club and there's a waiting list years long, even the entrance to it is a bit tricky to find in the real park. So I hid mine too. Just an oval plaque on the wall tells you there's something here.

The railings, windows and doors of the new Silver Banjo Barbecue on the left came from the New Orleans Square Haunted Mansion kit. While the railings, windows and doors of the Cafe Orleans on the right came from Ray Keim's Bates House kit. The roof of the Cafe Orleans came from Ray's Phantom Manor kit. On the opposite side the building has doors and windows from Abraham Lincoln's house!

There's really no scale to my Disneyland. That's why I say "Impressions of Disneyland" rather than "Model of Disneyland". These people are drastically undersized for O Scale and look like children compared with most of my figures. But they're right at home at these tables.

Autopia

Completed yesterday, this is my first attempt at the Autopia. The bumper rails in the roadway are strips of styrene. The lamp posts are bits of bent styrene tubing and the lamp shades are thin brass.

No spray foam here just a kraft paper hill stuffed with newspaper. I doodled up the little building on Metasequoia based very roughly on a structure that was added to Tomorrowland in 1998. The cars were cheap pull-back races I found at K-Mart. I cut their roofs off, ground off a few details and primed and painted them. Then I added safety bars, bumpers and glueples.

So there are two new items to finish up for today! More to come!

Becky
Old 07-12-2016, 08:01 PM

Big Thunder Mountain

The wildest ride in the wilderness. The "ghost town" is filled with buildings from Whitewash City.

You wouldn't know it by the time I got done, but this styrofoam tunnel is the foundation of Big Thunder Mountain.

It was combined with the ghost town and wood dowells were added to give the poly-foam something to stick to.

The void was filled and papered over and the foam was carved.

Here's the view from the rear. Note that the basecoat was applied to the foam on top. This was done to make it easier to see details in the foam. Now here's where it gets amusing!

Packing peanuts of many types make Big Thunder the mountain it is today. I hot glued them in many places and used them to fill larger voids where newspaper would have been too weak.

Then I just did kraft paper paper mache over top and you'd never know they were even there.

Now comes the fun stuff! I used a lot of colors and a lot of washes trying to simulate southwestern US rock formations.

When doing washes I always work from the top down. So this large central peak was where I found out whether or not I could do what I was trying to do.

The first rails were large brass wires. Large grain granite sand was added to give the mountain a more finished look.

Dinosaur skeletons were embedded in the sand.

And lighting was added.

The first round of improvements added a loading platform, mine head and riders in the cars.

The second round of improvements was much more dramatic:

Adding the piece across the front made for very weak construction. So I made a new stronger base and got rid of the "tracks to nowhere" that had been there since day 1.

The landscaping was upgraded all the way around and the track now has much more of a thrill ride look to it.

The first loading platform building was too large, it always obscured too much of the mountain. So I made the new version slightly smaller, opened up the doors and added more lighting. The new mine head (tower) is wood and looks much better.

Adding the small details is always the fun part!

This large boulder has closed the saloon.

And all of this was built to display a couple of paper models!
Old 07-12-2016, 09:10 PM

Main Street Station

The first train on the Santa Fe and Disneyland RR was this DC locomotive from the Lionel "James Gang" set. This is the same station that I had been using since 2009 before I decided to build Disneyland.

Out with the old. In with the new! Here's my 2016 rebuild:

The new station has walls made or corrugated cardboard and is very substantial. I thought about testing them with a five pound locomotive but chickened out! The new vellum windows and clocks really look good. There are 3 lights inside the building. 2 n gauge streetlamps flank the front entrance. These lights are white plastic globes on brass poles. So I removed the pole bases, gently bent the brass tubing 90 degrees, inserted the tubing through the walls, reattached the bases backwards and glued them to the inside of the wall. This gave me nice little wall lamps just about equal in size to the ones represented in the graphics.

I added a ceiling down the platform to hide the wires that were exposed and tended to droop on the previous model. I also cut faceted plastic beads in half, bored out the center and made these neat little light covers for the 6 grain of wheat bulbs that light the platforms. The lighting of the model is further enhanced by 4 streetlamps which I moved from the station platform to the garden on the opposite side of the track.

The garden presented a unique problem. How to create elaborate floral displays without using individual plants?

I decided to use ballast. By gluing it on one color at a time, and then painting each section the final color as I went along, I was able to achieve the look I was after.

Main Street

The buildings are modified versions of kits from Build Your Own Main Street and Big Indoor Trains with the Ghostbusters Firehouse and an info kiosk of my own design added.

About the only changes to Main Street over the years has been the addition of popcorn carts, a few cars and the small park around the flagpole where a choir concert is underway.

But Main Street must change. It is the black hole of Disneyland.

I know this picture is incredibly blurry, but it illustrates the problem. Look over on the right and you'll see the 4 woefully inadequate amber street lamps of Main Street. To that end, I've been collecting photos, textures and kits for some time and eventually Main Street will be rebuilt and reworked with new buildings on all 3 sides. That means the Liberty Square and Tomorrowland buildings have to be redone too. So that's the plan anyways.

More to come!

Becky
Old 07-12-2016, 10:07 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Goodness Becky! Is there no end to your fertile imagination and talent? I mean, packing peanuts to build a mountain, ballast for floral displays......

I have decided that if I had contracted to supply you with expanding foam I would have already retired a wealthy man...

Absolutely amazing, it gets better and better.
Google Adsense
Old 07-13-2016, 02:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
This thread never fails to entertain !
Old 07-13-2016, 03:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 69.70 MB
My daughter Zosia loves your ... dioramas
Proud member of: Bielska Strefa Modelarska
Old 07-13-2016, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott View Post
Goodness Becky! Is there no end to your fertile imagination and talent? I mean, packing peanuts to build a mountain, ballast for floral displays......

I have decided that if I had contracted to supply you with expanding foam I would have already retired a wealthy man...

Absolutely amazing, it gets better and better.
One of the most surprising things was that I discovered if you wet the biodegradable peanuts a bit, you could mold them like clay. So if you look close at those pics you can see how I used them to transition from the plain old styrofoam type to the work I had already completed with the spray foam. I think I discovered that by sticking one in my mouth to hold it while my hands were busy! Can't say I remember for sure but I'd guess it didn't taste very good! lol
Old 07-13-2016, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcin Jakubiec View Post
I'm speechless! Your imagination and creativity are impressive! We all have a little child inside, but you have five or six of them Fantastic models/dioramas. I like the way you use different materials to build all those objects! I'll show your work my daughter, She likes to build lunaparks using lego bricks, papreboxes, wires and lot of other stuff.
We had a Luna Park here in Cleveland way back when. Bob Hope was born in England but he grew up on the east side of Cleveland, just a stone's throw from Luna Park. He used to sneak in under the fence and get in line with other kids to sneak on the rides!
Old 07-13-2016, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwestforests View Post
Ahh, the Nautilus, cool stuff.
And the monorail - look up recent book Monorails by Kim A. Pederson of the Monorail Society.
And some Nautilus trivia, The Catalog of Nautilus Designs A Catalog of Nautilus Designs
Top coolest movie vehicles ever: Nautilus, U.S.S. Cygnus, Millennium Falcon, U.S.S. Enterprise and the Imperial Star Destroyer.
Google Adsense