PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 01-21-2017, 07:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
Nah. If I left it up I wouldn't have the incentive to make additions and improvements. Besides, then I'd have to figure out how to dust it!

Well, today I made the final push and Disneyland 2016 is just a memory. But not before I took a few more photos (and ran the Monorail around a bit). I made a "strategic withdrawal" up Main Street and took these as I went. This is what you'd see if you were 1 1/4 inch plastic peoples:

Imagine a Main Street where the buildings are outlined in lights! That's what I have in mind for 2017!

The reworking of Main Street will include the Tomorrowland buildings on the reverse side. I'll use the same parts, but I want them to light up as well. Over on the left side of Main, Liberty Square will give way to Fantasyland facades.

The building to the left of the Moonliner is the beta that I had to include. I want "The Hatmosphere" to be to the right and create a 90 degree corner here.

The balloons are hot glue on pieces of wire. I need a better way of having the figure hold them though. Wouldn't it be great if I could light those torches that line the way into the castle?
Old 01-22-2017, 02:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
you could try led blubs / rice blubs they should work
Old 01-22-2017, 08:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Great images, Becky!

Look forward to next year's version, and all the models you build between now and then.

Don
Old 01-22-2017, 09:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 93.62 MB
Yes, Thank You, Becky, for sharing your talents and skills with us! We really enjoyed the trip and look forward to more! George
Old 01-22-2017, 11:52 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Absolutely! Looking forward to Christmas 2017 already. Seeing your Disneyland makes me feel like a kid again.
Google Adsense
Old 01-22-2017, 07:18 PM

Thanks! I am looking forward too! Just not quite ready to do the work yet! lol

Here's the key to lighting up Main Street:

These two small Christmas trees hold the secret.

Glass seed beads laid out over strips of holes outlining the buildings. It should look very similar to what Disney does with individual light bulbs. All I have to do is have enough light nearby behind them to allow the light to penetrate through the small holes punched in the facades and illuminate the beads. Each one of those trees above has one 14 volt grain of wheat bulb (Model Power Peel and stick lamps to be exact) inside a sealed box. The light sources are at the bottom of the trees but the beads at the tops are illuminated just as brightly as those closest to the bulb.

I'll use strings of 110 volt grain of wheat bulbs to light Main Street. (See Astro Orbitor, Dumbo, Space Mountain, Small World and others to see what those lamp sets look like) The same lights that will give life to the shop windows will also illuminate the night effects. I won't be trying to illuminate an entire interior so the lamps can be mounted very close to the holes. I use these light strings to good effect on my summer layout too:

All my tall buildings use them and as you can see they give plenty of light. So I'm fairly confident this will work. I just need to keep accumulating textures and photos so I can make reasonably accurate facades.

Should be fun! But right now I need a very flat structure to fill the gap on the right side of this photo.

Becky
Old 01-23-2017, 10:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 68.03 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckychestney View Post

I used to have one of these trolleys. I thought it was hilarious, in that it was a wind-up toy trolley that replicated a real trolley that replicated a wind-up toy trolley. And the key on the top doesn't wind it up! You wind it up on the side!
Old 06-19-2017, 06:14 PM

New construction is under way!
Old 06-19-2017, 08:28 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Hot dog! Really looking forward to a build thread Becky.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:32 PM

Thanks! I've been working on Skull Rock Cove using Robert Nava's Wicked Wench: The Wicked Wench Paper Model. I'm building it at a reduction of approximately 50%. I used the "multiple pages" function of Acrobat Reader so it may even be smaller than half the original size.

Here's my first build from 2011:

It was so tall the masts were hidden in the tree branches! The new build will feature extensive lighting on the ship including lanterns hanging from the rigging (would be interesting to look into a crystal ball and see how that turns out! ) rather than the exterior only lighting my first build featured.

Here are a few pics that I'm using as a guide:

The first incarnation of Captain Hook's ship was quite different than what most remember!

That was July 18, 1955. By August 27, 1955, the ship had changed to the look most remember:

She was demolished in 1982 when Fantasyland underwent extensive remodeling.
Google Adsense