PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 06-21-2017, 05:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
I wanted the windows in the captain's cabin to light up without luminescing the surrounding ship. So I first backed these sections with black paper before removing the windows. The replacement windows are velum which lights up nicely.

On the inside, I lined the bottom piece with black paper, then I made a small "box" with thin posterboard, also lined with black paper.

One 14 volt bulb provides plenty of light.

I also mounted the vessel on a piece of foamcore cut to the estimated maximum dimensions for the cove. Into that I cut a "ship-shaped" hole to drop the hull into. I started small and worked my way up to "close enough" and then hot-glued the ship in place. After the glue cooled, I went back and cut away the bottom of the ship protruding below the waterline.

That's about all that's gone on so far.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:59 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
I was gonna ask why you cut the ship away below the waterline but then the light bulb clicked on....
Old 06-22-2017, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott View Post
I was gonna ask why you cut the ship away below the waterline but then the light bulb clicked on....
My favorite answer is "because I can't cut a hole in the floor." lol

Got the shipboard lights working today.

Five bulbs on the ship, probably 2 dockside and I don't know yet how many around the water features. Note the light "suspended" between the masts. When I get going on the rigging I should be able to tighten and straighten the wires a bit.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
Isn't that pretty. Great work, as usual.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 145.94 MB
[QUOTE=beckychestney;586249]My favorite answer is "because I can't cut a hole in the floor." lol /QUOTE]

To that answer, I would say, "you can do anything you want - once".
Google Adsense
Old 06-24-2017, 08:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear Becky:
On the vellum windows did you run the vellum through the printer or did you trace the window detail by hand. I just got a ream of 8 1/2 by 11 vellum at a flea market for Buck ( that makes me 1/2 a Buccaneer). I want to do some houses and churches and light them so I was wondering if vellum will work in an ink jet printer?
Thanks,
Miles
Old 06-24-2017, 06:18 PM

I've been using Staples "laser white vellum paper", 8 1/2" x 11" (216mm x 279mm), 29lb (112 g/m2) in inkjets for quite some time without too much difficulty.
  1. The biggest issue you'll run into is the tendency of the vellum to curl a few seconds after it comes out of the printer. I always have a few mildly weighty things and a spot large enough ready to weigh down the page as fast as I can. After about 5 to 10 minutes the toner dries and the page becomes stable and flat again.
  2. Use a "glossy photo paper" setting when printing on vellum. The "plain paper" settings don't give you a very opaque print.
  3. Unless you have the ability to do photo editing (at exactly the same size as the rest of the parts so you can print only the parts you need, i.e. windows), you'll have to waste some toner by printing the parts pages in their entirety on the vellum. Then cut the vellum inserts just a bit lager than the opening.
  4. Vellum can be a pain to glue. I use adhesives with a low water content like Alene's Tacky Glue or hot glue which works fastest. I don't use Elmer's Glue-All because it just causes the vellum to "get wavy". (Forget School Glues, they have the most water of all.)
If you have any questions I'll be happy to help!
Old 06-24-2017, 07:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear Becky:
This is what I like about the forum you don't have to reinvent the wheel some one has already been there done that and shares helpful hints for others to follow. Now to look through the stash on thumb drives to find a one or two pager to try it on.
Thanks,
Miles
Old 06-24-2017, 07:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
I thought it sounded 'iffy', but another modeler that uses vellum for windows tapes the top edge to a sheet of paper underneath. He seems to have no problem with this, but it scares me. If the tape loosened once you would have all that tacky goodness running amok in your paper feed
Old 06-25-2017, 09:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Becky,

It's not the original, but the Jolly Roger (Chicken-of-the-sea restaurant) has been resurrected at Disneyland Paris.

I have an early Revell (Plastic) Jolly Roger and their later "Pirate Ghost Ship" (with no Disney references), but due to their rapidly increasing value as collectors items, I'm reluctant to build either of them. Maybe one day someone will design a paper version, but I'm not holding out much hope.

I know Robert Nava was working towards a paper one, but I've lost all contact with him. His Disney Experience website seems to have been shut down, and any searches for it (or him) set off big Virus alarms on my PC. So I guess he's fallen foul of the Disney admin and been shut down. Pity, as there were some excellent models (Like the Wench) available there. I'm pretty sure I downloaded and archived all the ones I wanted though.