PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 12-19-2016, 01:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Boiler front details

A quick update. Started working on the cab internals, in particular the boiler front. The model provides a "flat face" and when I studied some pictures of the instrumentation layout I couldn't resist to add details. A lot of work but rewarding. Thank you Diderick for sending useful pictures.

Although not finished yet herewith how it looks like.

Also I include a very informative picture which I found on the internet, explaining the function of each instrument, valve, gauge and lever. It feels like being at a boiler in an oil refinery, my favorite hang-out .

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4166.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4167.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4164.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4165.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-article-2563422-1ba77f5a00000578-690_964x741.jpg  

Old 12-19-2016, 11:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
The extra work you are putting in, really brings the model alive

Tim
Old 12-19-2016, 02:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
nice work on the extra cab details .

Old 12-22-2016, 07:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Nice improvement, Erik, and quite remarkable at this small scale!
Old 12-22-2016, 03:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 69.70 MB
Small scale?
Proud member of: Bielska Strefa Modelarska
Google Adsense
Old 12-26-2016, 05:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
Corrected pages now available

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diderick A. den Bakker View Post
Scaling mistake in the boiler...
My most humble apologies for what turns out to have been a scaling mistake. Apparently a lot of enlarging and making smaller again goes on during the designing process... Designer Cor has checked the body parts and the formers again, and has concluded that they are indeed slightly too large. There is a fairly simple solution: carefully cut away all the black cutting lines, build parts 1-5 and 6-10 (attach connecting strip to the front end of 5!). Then fit together loosely and check length against the chassis. Now cut the remaining few mms away from part 6.

For those who have not yet started: mail me your address, and I will send you the two new pages asap. If you bought a download version: mail me, and I will send the file in question. My mail: da DOT denbakker AT planet DOT nl
Pages 1 and 13 have now been reprinted. They contain all the parts for cab and boiler. Please mail me your address if you bought a printed copy, or your email if you bought the download.
Old 12-28-2016, 05:59 AM

A bit of progress and a Christmas surprise

Hi guys,

Thank you for your continued interest and I hope you all had a nice Christmas and enjoyed a few days off with family and friends! Herewith my belated good wishes to all of you!

Not much progress over the last week as work took most of my attention. In the mean time I'm almost done with the boiler front details, some touch-ups still to go and then the entire assembly can be installed in the cab.

Over Christmas I realized there's another error, albeit a minor one but nevertheless a bit annoying. The boiler front details are printed on the vertical face of part 13, whereas they should have been on the slanted side. The many pictures and GA drawing leave no doubt. Not so difficult to correct but I already had glued the floorboards to the boiler front...

Anyway, the first few pictures are the instrument panel not yet fully done and still on a vertical face and the last ones show the correct position.

I wonder what will be the next surprise???

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4238.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4193.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4194.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4195.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4196.jpg  

A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4236.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4235.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4237.jpg  
Old 12-28-2016, 02:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
done a good job erik on the cab details.

Old 12-29-2016, 01:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 69.70 MB
Good work man I love it!
Proud member of: Bielska Strefa Modelarska
Old 12-29-2016, 11:18 AM

Work on the cab continues

Thank you David and Marcin !

The good thing about holidays in the cold and dark days of the year is that I can make some progress. Although detailing the boiler front is a lot of work, it's fun. I have been doing much more than I originally planned to do and may even do the last lead lines to the pressure gauges.

The instrument panel is in place now, along with the floor boards and reverser column, which still needs some detailing. The seats of the captain and first officer (ahum, I'm mixing function names here...) are yet to be done, as well as whatever detail still comes to mind.
I noticed that in the actual Gresley a lever or something is installed to the left of the reverser, which looks similar to the brake levers installed at the front side of the tender. The model doesn't have this detail so that will require a bit of work as well. From what I can judge by comparing pictures of different A4 locomotives, not all were equally equipped.

The cab is sort of sitting on the front side of the boiler (the fire box) and in the model there is a gap between this front part and the rest of the boiler (hidden by the streamline plating), as you can see in the last pictures. That looks a bit strange so I am planning to close this gap.

All in all still some work to be done at the cab ...

Cheers,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4242.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4243.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4244.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4245.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-dsc_3078.jpg  

A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-p468.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4246.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4247.jpg  
Google Adsense

Tags
a4 pacific, papertrade, sir nigel gresley