PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 12-29-2016, 01:08 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Great cab - well worth your work!

Well done!
Old 12-29-2016, 08:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
The cab detailing looks terrific! Excellent work!
Old 01-05-2017, 03:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
More cab details

Thank you very much Kevin WS and Art Deco, your kind words are very much appreciated!

Enjoying my last days off from work and some more progress to report. All inside cab details are in place now, including the driver and engineer's seats and the home made brake column/lever (at least that's what I think it is).

I altered the location of the seats. If you align them with the indicators on the cab wall they protrude from the cab, whereas in fact the position is almost flush with the back of the cab. This can be seen from actual pictures and is also shown on the GA drawing.

In the mean time I have started with the shroud to close the gap between boiler front and cab wall and other details outside the cab so see you next time.

Regards,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4248.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4251.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4252.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4253.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4254.jpg  

Old 01-06-2017, 06:45 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
That's some mighty fine detail on the backhead there Erik.
Old 01-07-2017, 03:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
good extra work on the cab erik

Google Adsense
Old 01-07-2017, 03:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.60 GB
That's really nicely done! It's so detailed...
Old 01-13-2017, 03:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
Just for information: when I visited and fotographed the Gresley at the Grosmont workt (North Yorkshire, England) the boiler was being drained for some minor maintenance. Which explains the red warning sign 'boiler empty'.
And if readers are interested at the complete overhaul (down to the last nut 'n bolt): go to
Sir Nigel Gresley overhaul - introduction - National Railway Museum blog. You will find a list of monthly reports on the right, under 'Archives'. Highley recommended.

One picture shows the right hand frame being tested; the other shows the boiler on transport through the medieval town of York (where the large railway museum is situated), on its way to Llangollen in Wales for the next stage of the overhaul.

(And yes, the cars are on the wrong side of the road...)
Attached Thumbnails
A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-right-hand-frames-now-being-tested-prior-painting.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-boiler-its-way-llangollen.-because-restricted-access-nrm-boiler-had-.jpg  
Old 01-13-2017, 11:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
Never, if the cars were on the wrong side of the road they would be on the right.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
I agree: they are of course on the wrong side of the road (according to the rest of the world). Ever seen the hilarious John Cleese film 'Clockwise'? In the final scene, he even fatally confuses an experienced police driver who asks 'left?' by shouting 'right!'.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Cab finished

Thanks again guys, well appreciated . The picture of the boiler being transported is full of contrasts. A modern truck transporting an old-fashioned heat exchanger dating back from the thirties (probably overhauled a few times if not fully replaced at some time) and even older architecture in the backdrop. And I wouldn't even dare to mention that - indeed - it's all on the wrong side of the road.

Never mind, whatever. The work on the cab is finished, in between a busy schedule, both at work and private, I was able to find a few minutes every day for the past one and a half weeks.

The first pictures show the missing "home made" filler between boiler front and cab. The shape was a bit of trial and error but accurate enough to serve its purpose. I used Tamiya Medium Blue for coloring.

Next is the roof. I had to cut out a small wedge from the inside roof panel to make it fit satisfactorily to the cab dimensions but apart from that, all fitted well. By looking at actual pictures I concluded that the outside roof panel is slightly too narrow, as it should protrude slightly on either side of the cab walls. So I extended it. Also I detailed the sliding hatches, rims and some of the rivets. The roof gives stability to the cab walls, that's for sure.

One other thing is the arrow shaped top part. This is in fact part of the first boiler segment (part no. 1) but I advise to cut it away during assembly of the boiler body. It's very vulnerable during handling and gets damaged easily. Besides, due to the scaling error of the boiler body segments, it is too large to fit onto the roof. Here you definitely have to use the rescaled body parts. Refer to Diderick's comments earlier in this thread.

You may note the color differences between the various grey sections of the roof. Some are the result of color variations between the various model parts, others because of copies I made to prepare the additional details.

Owing to the scaling error of the boiler body, I had to make small cuts in the first body segment at the connection to the cab to get proper alignment. To hide these corrections I have glued narrow strips of paper, which sort of resemble the actual situation. They are visible in the last pictures.

Finally two side views of what the model looks like now.

Next will be the third cylinder, at the underside of the locomotive.

Cheers,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4275.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4276.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4277.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4289.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4290.jpg  

A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4302.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4303.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4310.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4311.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4312.jpg  

A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4313.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4314.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4315.jpg  
Google Adsense

Tags
a4 pacific, papertrade, sir nigel gresley