PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 05-08-2017, 11:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 69.70 MB
Hmmm in rebus metoda!
Proud member of: Bielska Strefa Modelarska
Old 05-15-2017, 03:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Big wheels keep on turning (Electric Light Orchestra!)

Thanks Marcin, but I'm not so sure what you exactly mean .....

Continued with the big wheels and another two are finished. Two more to go.

In order to properly install the wheels I had to remove all the braking shoes. Note that for two of them the print is not correct: It should have been mirror imaged to have to proper print side visible rather than the rear side. This concerns part nos 39 and 40.

Also one of the brackets (part no. 67 or 68) was in the way of the rightside front driving wheel. I had to remove it and cut out a small wedge. The reason for the misfit is that both left and right side brackets do not appear to be exactly opposite of each other. I'm not sure if this is intentional (according to the real situation) or due to a positioning error in the model's design. Anyway, it's not a big deal.

Herewith a few pictures of the wheels in place. Nothing has been glued yet as the proper position of the wheels depends on the driving gear that will be installed at a later stage.

The last picture shows the temporarily removed braking shoes. I leave them out for the time being as likely the brake rigging will require modifications as well, similar to the situation at the tender.

The tale of the big wheels will continue.

Sorry guys, pictures will be posted later. Just found out that the upload bug has also hit The Netherlands.

Erik
Old 05-15-2017, 11:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 69.70 MB
Erick, could you list all issues of model at the end of your building process? It'd be a geat help for other people who's gonna build this loco too.
Proud member of: Bielska Strefa Modelarska
Old 05-15-2017, 12:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
Perhaps this will help: as publisher (not designer) I am following Erik's build very closely, of course. I am preparing a file with all his notes and a selection of his pictures, and will add a separate survey of his most important tips. Some of the problems have already been solved in the download version at Ecard models, and also in the form of an extra page in the printed version. I will add information to both versions so people can mail me for a download of Erik's build report. All this of course with his permission.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:15 AM

At last some pictures

Hello Marcin and Diderick, to publish a list with issues is no problem. I think such list should be divided in critical issues and points of attention as not every problem I encountered up so far is a real issue.

Work on the last set of driving wheels has started in the mean time.

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4830.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4831.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4832.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4833.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4834.jpg  

A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4835.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4836.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4837.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4829.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 05-22-2017, 07:46 AM

Driving wheels finished

Well, the last two of the big wheels are done. Same procedure and illustrated by the pictures. The final picture shows the pile of 240 segments that were cut out in the process. Tough job.

All six of them are now in dry-fit position and it appears that the rear wheel assembly is not entirely aligned with the the front bogie and driving wheels. In fact it's lifting the other wheels up, which should not be the case. That's posing a problem as the rear wheel assembly is already glued to the chassis frame. The only way to solve this is to remove the wheels and axle and to enlarge the holes through which the axle runs. This should give enough margin to aligne the wheels properly with the other wheels and then fixate them with glue.

Again a lesson learned: In contradiction to the building instructions: First install/dry-fit the six driving wheels (DO NOT GLUE ANYTHING YET AT THIS STAGE), then glue the front bogie and/or rear wheel assembly into position. Fitting of the front bogie seems to be alright so the real culprit is the rear wheel assembly.

Moreover, glue the driving wheels only when the driving gear is ready, as this determines the position (rotation) of the wheels. As the driving gear has to be prepared side by side, the wheels should be glued side by side.

OK, next is the left-side driving gear. This can be done the easy (unrealistic) way or by using the laser cuts for each separate link and rod. To be continued next time.

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4839.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4841.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4843.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4844.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4845.jpg  

A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4840.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4846.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4880.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4881.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4882.jpg  

A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4883.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4884.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4885.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4894.jpg  
Old 05-22-2017, 09:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Great work on the wheels

She's starting to look like a train

Tim
Old 05-23-2017, 06:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
240 segments Ok!...
Old 05-23-2017, 03:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
good work on the driveing wheels Erik

Old 05-28-2017, 07:39 PM