PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 07-14-2017, 07:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 32.35 MB
Superb work of a great loco.
otherDoc
Old 07-14-2017, 07:44 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Wow. That really is a height difference between the loco and tender. If I may ask how do you propose to correct it?
You are doing excellent work on the Gresley Erik. Thank you for doing this build report on her.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
All wheels in place and front side details

Hi otherDoc and Elliott, thanks for tuning in! Elliott, I intend to raise the cabin floor a bit by adding an additional layer of flooring. There's room for such correction. I guess it will not be perfect but at least it will level the floor bridging plate better, which will have to be corrected as well.

It's almost vacation time so just a quick update. The wheel assemblies are all in place now and I used a piece of cardboard in between the wheel flanges for proper alignment. The swivel of the front bogie needed correction, it was too high and I replaced it by two layers of scrap paper from the model, each 0.2mm thick. That was just enough.

The inside wheel flange pitch is 2.7cm (remember the inside rails pitch is 2.8mm, which accounts for the wheel flange thickness of 2x 0.5mm).

Started in the mean time with frontside details such as oleo buffers, cylinder drain lines, hook and hose connections. The buffers had to be trimmed quite a bit to ensure proper orientation on the chassis.

As a final note for today in the frontside close-up pictures you can see the gap in between boiler plating and chassis, exactly in the round curve. This is the gap I mentioned in the forelast posting. Still have to figure out how to correct for this, probably with a bit of wall filler. The difficulty is not so much which material to use, but merely how to apply it neatly...

I'll strive for one more update before switching off for a few weeks .

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_5347.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_5348.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_5349.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_5350.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_5351.jpg  

A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_5352.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_5353.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_5354.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_5355.jpg  
Old 07-23-2017, 04:43 AM

More frontside details

Before going on holidays, the final update for the next few weeks to come.

Frontside details are almost done, only the lamps still to go. Glued a few brackets in place, for placards and shunt lamp. Also the steam whistle, for which I used a metal pin to keep it firmly in its position in front of the smoke stack.

Finally I started the correction for the gap between the chassis and boiler housing. I used wall filler for this, applied with a tooth pick and then smeared out by a wet, flat brush. Tamiya rubber black to finish it off. I didn't use "pure" black, as it is too black. Well, there's still some color difference but not so noticeable and when the model is completely ready, I will spray it with a thin coating of matt varnish, which usually tones down color differences and matt out shinier patches like excess of glue and the like.

The last picture is the as is status. It looks a bit shaky but that is due to the panorama mode on the iPhone. To give you an impression of the size: The stretch of rails is approximately 50 cm (20 inches) long.

Enjoy the summer period and see you in a few weeks time again for the final stretch.

Cheers,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_5357.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_5358.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_5359.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_5360.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_5361.jpg  

A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_5370.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_5371.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_5372.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_5373.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_5374.jpg  

Old 07-23-2017, 05:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
She looks fantastic

A real work of art

Tim
Google Adsense
Old 07-23-2017, 11:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 69.70 MB
Excellent work Eric – million thanx for your issue-tracking notes during your build relation. I really like your model, and hope to build my own one
Proud member of: Bielska Strefa Modelarska
Old 07-23-2017, 03:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
This has been an incredible build. Astonishing detail and realism.

Don
Old 07-24-2017, 03:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
What a build! Your an inspiration Erik. Having seen the Mallard this model is so true to the originals. G in Oz
Old 07-24-2017, 09:45 AM

Hi Tim, Don, Marcin and Graham, thank you for your kind words. I've just boarded flight BA0433 from Amsterdam Schiphol to London Heathrow and then on to Singapore. No more paper modeling for the coming weeks...

Cheers,
Erik
Old 07-24-2017, 05:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
Have fun!
Google Adsense

Tags
a4 pacific, papertrade, sir nigel gresley