PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 09-06-2016, 06:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
@ Erik – thanks for the explanation I hadn’t imagined that the wheel running thread was tapered on a small scale! A point on the “plus” side for the kit
Old 09-10-2016, 04:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
Good work on the wheels Erik.

Old 09-12-2016, 02:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Thank you Ricardo and David for your reactions, and Diderick thanks a lot for the technical information (see picture below) and interesting thread with beautiful nostalgic pictures of steam engines riding through English landscapes. In fact, some of these pictures aren’t yet that old.

I didn’t have much time for modeling last week; work and other things were just too busy. Finalized the suspension parts of the tender wheels, the water scoop at the bottom and started working the braking system. Using the laser cut set for the brake rigging is in fact a must. The parts require some rework though to make them fit properly, and to install them more or less in line with the real thing but without this set would be virtually impossible.

Although it’s still in the making up so far this is the status. The part that makes up the braking rigging (per side of the tender) consists of four break shoes, a bar that connects the shoes and let’s call them a connecting rod/system between brake bar and a another rod at the front side of the tender, which must be connected somehow to the levers on the top side, operated by the driver(s). I still have to install those (very fragile) levers by the way.

Picture 5 shows the first braking shoe in place. Next will be the other seven shoes, braking rods to connect them, and other related details. For edge coloring I’ve been using Tamiya sky grey, which is the best fit I could find. Next time I hope to show more detailed pictures of the process. Let’s first see if what I have in mind will work out….

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_3575.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_3576.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_3601.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_3602.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_3603.jpg  

A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_3604.jpg  
Old 09-18-2016, 02:26 PM

Brakes and brake rigging

Continued with the brake shoes and brake rigging. As explained, I sort of took apart the single laser cut that provides a rather one-dimensional braking system. Thanks to Diderick, who sent a technical drawing of the tender and locomotive, that provided lots of information and gives insight how the braking system in the old days worked. If you print out the drawing on A3 paper, 100% of scale, it's exactly 1:48 (O) size, so a perfect template for the model, as I found out.

Also some pictures which I found on the internet (search for corridor tender) revealed some details which I used to make the brake rigging look more realistic. It's not finished yet but this is the status up so far.

Braking shoes and brake bars are in place now, as well as the front part of the rigging. Laminating these parts with the original print was labor intensive, the parts are very small. The cross bars are made out of 1.2 mm diameter plastic rod, and the one connecting the brake bars and front side mechanism has been installed already. The others will follow, as well as a few final details. More about this next time.

Cheers,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_3601.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_3616.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_3617.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_3636.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_3618.jpg  

A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_3637.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_3639.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_3640.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_3644.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_3641.jpg  

A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_3643.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_3642.jpg  
Old 09-18-2016, 11:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
More excellent work Erik

Those laser parts do look fragile

Tim
Google Adsense
Old 09-19-2016, 12:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 69.70 MB
Erik – where did you get blueprints shown on photo?
Proud member of: Bielska Strefa Modelarska
Old 09-19-2016, 02:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
Blueprint:
They call this a 'General Arrangement Drawing', and when I (publisher, Paper Trade) did the preparatory research before designer Cor van Haasteren started work I searched high and low for more drawings. This was all I could find - it is for sale at The 'Sir Nigel Gresley' Locomotive Trust Ltd, the private foundation which owns, runs and maintains this locomotive.
The only other information we had was lots of pictures on Google (though I never came across the tender pictures in Erik's latest message), and pictures I was able to take of the engine in the maintenance yard in August 2015.
Sincere compliments to Erik for his work on the brakes rigging!
Old 09-19-2016, 08:19 AM

Thank you Tim, Marcin and Diderick. Indeed, such a GA drawing is an invaluable piece of information. In the process industry (my line of business) they're used for vessels, towers, reactors, drums, instrumentation, foundations, in fact for almost every aspect of a process unit in a chemical installation or refinery.

I wasn't aware that the drawing is a sales item (rather expensive!) and hope it's not a problem that I've used sections of it in this thread.

The exact search wording I used was "Gresley corridor tender". Each pictures yields a subarray of pictures and that's where I found the ones I showed you. The type of tender used for the A4 came in slightly different versions and regarding the brake system I tried to find out a common denominator and eventually used a few own interpretations to capture the details. Couldn't find all the missing pieces I was looking for to complete the GA drawing but that's ok. You won't see much of it in the completed model....

Erik
Old 09-19-2016, 11:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
Just to keep you informed: the Sir Nigel Gresley is being overhauled. When I visited the works in 2015, I was told this meant it was going to be taken to pieces down to the last nut and bolt. After this treatment, it will once again be licenced for service on all the main lines of the UK. This picture was taken in March 2016.
Attached Thumbnails
A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-update3-boilerlift.jpg  
Old 09-19-2016, 08:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
his is all outstanding work, Erik, and I am enjoying all the information that is coming to light in your thread, in addition to the pleasure of seeing your craftsmanship on this beautiful locomotive.

Don
Google Adsense

Tags
a4 pacific, papertrade, sir nigel gresley